Graphics?

OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
Just wondering.. where do firemaplegames and tshirtbooth and everyone else get their graphics? I'm trying to make a game for the app store and it wont be good without good graphics!

Comments

• OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
    free? i want to spend minimum money.
  • OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
    Wait.. I have photoshop and illustrator
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    I can recommend a few places that you can scour for free graphics that have decent quality and are ready for commercial use. Some sites also give great advice for design and templates for editing.

Try these two for freebies first:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com
    http://www.psdgraphics.com
  • KamazarKamazar Member Posts: 287
    I use Pixelmator. Pretty much a really cheap but very versatile image edition program. Think Photoshop Lite. But if you have both Illustrator and Photoshop, you're set to go. I wish I had that combo.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    sketch up is fun

But personally I love photoshop you can create so much with it and if you create it is yours.
    The thing i don't like about using graphics from the sketch up community is they are made by someone else and that makes me feel weird.

Plus when you create with styles size does not matter. Even when you upsize and everything will stay perfect.
    I am not even that great with photoshop. I use a very minimal approach.
    I do everything with the only the shape tool and styles.
    Most of the styles i have created myself so it is easy to repeat my "style" of graphics.
    but, you can get such collection of styles from the web web too. And since its the standard there is no shortage of free tutorials.

take a look at my screenshots for my lady bug game. there are a lot of different thigns going on like glass and shadows and stuff and everything is created from scratch in a very basic manner with shapes.

http://www.robotsvswizards.com/

***When i say photoshop that also includes the fact that you can use the free knock off called gimp. Its not quite photoshop but it is pretty amaizing
  • J_gorinacJ_gorinac Member Posts: 33
    Bro just look up vuse! I got my photoshop CS4 for free on it... Yeah it uses bit torrents but hey I did it and got no problems. plus your using a mac lol
  • MixelMixel Member Posts: 32
    I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to advocate software piracy here. :P

People have been very good at suggesting legal tools here. The GIMP is pretty handy too.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    If you have Photoshop and Illustrator, you can just create all the graphics yourself.
  • scorelessmusicscorelessmusic Member Posts: 565
    Another good free alternative that I use is Acorn. You can actually use it for free.

http://www.flyingmeat.com/acorn/
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    Yes suggesting piracy is not a good idea
    Adobe is probably one of the most active in the industry when it comes to pursuing violators too.
    I'm pretty sure the point of a torrent is to scatter the data so much you can remain anonymous.

Kind of nullifies the anonymity when you blast it on a forum that links directly to you and your business.

Personally I would suggest it anyways.
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    get some good tutorials on the internet to learn the software, and make your own graphics.
    cant beat that.
  • goliathgoliath Member Posts: 1,440
    Here are 2 free programs for download:

inkscape (works like illustrator and is AWESOME. It is vector based)

GIMP (works like photoshop).

Once you learn both, they are very nice programs and are completely free. I suggest you all check them out. Let me know if this helps.
  • StormtrixStormtrix Member Posts: 256
    check out www.pixlr.com great web based photo editing software like photoshop, FREE.
    also, i find a lot of graphics looking on google images or bing images.
    keyword something and scan the pages for stuff as well.