Create Retina images for your game

nova313nova313 Member, PRO Posts: 4
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on GameSalad, and I would like to share with you my technique for Retina display images in your game I do not know if this trick has been post or explain, but I want to do an update on this technique.

First step

To show the Retina display, I created two images. Retina image in 200x200 px and normal image 100x100 px.

imageimage

I'm not going to explain how Retina, many topics talking about this technology.

Second step

Create a new project, with resolution independence.
Create a actor, and define dimensions 100x100 px.

third step

Create a scene, and drag your actor in scene.
Double-Click on actor, and modify image with Retina image.

I did some tests on the iPhone 4, 4s, 5 and iPad 3 and mini, and the result is reached.

I'll let the demo file, hoping that this technique will be useful.

Link to File

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited March 2013
    You don't really need to do all this, simply import a Retina (200*200 pixel) image into GameSalad and it will automatically generate the 100*100 image on a 100*100 pixel actor for you.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @Socks is correct. Thanks for the nice post, but it is not necessary.
    - Thomas
  • ingenious.applicationsingenious.applications Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    You don't really need to do all this, simply import a Retina (200*200 pixel) image into GameSalad and it will automatically generate the 100*100 image on a 100*100 pixel actor for you.
    Are you saying the in order to use independent resolution, just double click the actor/image and change it's pixels/size? I have many actors/images already built into my project, so I'd like to try to save some time by enlarging said images (doubling their size, exactly) so that when I re-import them into GS, the entire problem will have been dealt with.

• ingenious.applicationsingenious.applications Member Posts: 102
    I have many actors/images already built into my project, so I'd like to try to save some time by enlarging said images (doubling their size, exactly) so that when I re-import them into GS, the entire problem will have been dealt with.
  • FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    edited May 2013
    Resolution independence does automaticlly make the image half the size when you turn it into an actor. Example: When you import you retina image(200x200) and then drag it in like an actor, the size of the actor will be 100x100(and not 200x200 as the original size of the image size)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Yes one again we have people trying to be too clever or thinking they are clever. Don't try to teach stuff you don't fully know about. We all want to have helpful people but misinformation is a problem around here. Too many rumors and unfounded facts floating around lately. Don't take this as an offense just veterans trying to maintain the facts and quality of reliable info on the forums.
  • FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    edited May 2013
    @fryingbaconstudios
    So true. I had that problem. I got wrong information from people who tought they knew everything.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    I'll be the first to admit I don't know every single thing about GS but I always vet my facts about something before I make a video tutorial.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited May 2013
    Part 2 was going to be how to get rid of the gradient banding right? :P