Why did you name your company/studio what you did?

SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
edited March 2013 in Miscellaneous
Just as the title says, why did you choose the name you did for your game company/studio? As everyone can see, my company is called Utveckla Games. Now "Utveckla" is swedish for "develop" so my company name literally mean "Develop Games". :D The wrench on my icon is a common sign of development. Such as Xcode has a hammer, mine is a wrench, as you would see an engineer, mechanic or any physical developer carrying. So what's your name/icon mean?

Comments

• Zenith_GameworksZenith_Gameworks Member Posts: 310
    Zenith means the uppermost vertical point above you. I interpreted it as an unlimited imagination which can only increase upward. So, unlimited digital imagination.
  • JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    Well, when I was very young I used to say lots of funny little words. And one of them was Jagon. Soon I replaced just about every word in a sentence with Jagon, and most of my friends seemed to understand what I was saying, as well as thinking I was really weird I imagine! Anyway I still like the name a lot, so there it is! And 'apps' defines my company's purpose, hence Jagon Apps!
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    About 20 years ago I worked on the market selling playstation 1 games etc at the weekends while doing decorating for a company in the week, in the end I was making more from 2 days at the market so decided to quit the regular job and do 3 days on the market but needed a company name.

While sitting in the bath with a dictionary and a pen I randomly flicked the pages with my eyes closed and put the pen to paper and I'd stopped on utopia (utopian) so there ya have it a true story that might make you smile.

Darren.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @DeepBlueApps.com

How did 'Utopian Games' evolve into 'DeepBlueApps'? :p

Chakku
  • TechNoirTechNoir Member, PRO Posts: 117
    I am called TechNoirGames because I was trying to think of a name, and I was watching Terminator 1 and Arnold Schwarzenegger was walking around a nightclub called TechNoir. Bingo! done..
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @Chakku - Well maybe he drowned in the deep blue waters bath, and this is really just his ghost posting. ;) :D
    - Thomas
  • Zenith_GameworksZenith_Gameworks Member Posts: 310
    About 20 years ago I worked on the market selling playstation 1 games etc at the weekends while doing decorating for a company in the week, in the end I was making more from 2 days at the market so decided to quit the regular job and do 3 days on the market but needed a company name.

While sitting in the bath with a dictionary and a pen I randomly flicked the pages with my eyes closed and put the pen to paper and I'd stopped on utopia (utopian) so there ya have it a true story that might make you smile.

Darren.
    Lmao schizo alert!

• wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    edited March 2013
    We tried to come up with a fun sounding name that we could do things with beyond gaming. Tizzy Labs. "Go ahead, get yourself into a Tizzy." Stuff like that.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    edited March 2013
    When I was more into creating music I when under the monikor 'monospark' . Singlesparq came from that. With myself as the sole developer so 'single' and 'sparq' meaning a sudden idea. The q in sparq is because it was the only URL that was available :D
  • FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    Fajlajp comes from one of my buddies.
    It started out like a funny nickname but it later started to sound good in my hears. And that guy that started to call me fajlajp were the reason for me start designing games(he had a challenge for me, but when I won it, I thought that designing game is really fun) :)
  • WingmanappsWingmanapps Member Posts: 458
    edited March 2013
    We are 2 guys who has been friends for 20 years. We played alot of beachvolley and still do - and ofcouse our nicknames while playing is Maverick and Goose (Topgun reference) minus the tight jeans and dogtags - B-) .

Thats why we have the name Wingman Apps
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited March 2013
    Dane and I decided on Lost Oasis because we have no idea where we are.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Was wondering, I bought something from Ikea called utveckla

When I work on the computer, I always drink coffee, That coffee is always drunk out of a thermos flask; So that's where "Thermo-Apps" came about :D
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Lump was Picasso's dog. I like his art a lot and love dogs. I draw most of my characters freehand so that is the link.
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    Thanks for the stories everyone! Its very interesting to find out why you all named your companies/studios what you did and learning about your logos! (Especially @DeepBlueApps.com :D )
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Now I'll have to make up some cool story about mine.. :D
    - Thomas
    @SnapFireStudios Haha ya! If you do come up with one (real or not) share it here! :D
    Any one else want to share? :)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • doug_smuppetdoug_smuppet Member Posts: 99
    Wheeeeeeennnn I finish my 1st game... I'll use the name to my company/studio : PropagaPixel :)
    @tenrdrmer Hahaha thats a simple answer! Also a good one! :D
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    Well original called noah games because my girl was pregnant an we thought it was a boy(but it was a girl) so that's where noah came from. But once I found out a company in Japan is also noah games I changed it to 3 tour games because I did 3 tours in Iraq with the us army.
  • ADSentertainmentADSentertainment Member Posts: 397
    A.D.S. stands for my initials, back in the summer of 4th grade, I wanted to have a company, I thought my initials "A.D.S." sounded interesting and had a nice ring to it, so I used it. I'm in 10th grade now, and I still use it. No, ADS has nothing to do with ads(advertisements) of any sort, if that's what any of you were thinking before.

Having trouble with your game? Sounds like a personal problem.

Oh, and it's slogan "Bringin' Back the Classics" means that I want to bring the old back, a lot of my games are going to be retro themed.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Loved Quantum Leap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap)when I lived with my mates at Uni. We used to give things nicknames back then, and started calling the show 'Quantum Sheep' :D

When the internet arrived a few years after, my online presence became 'Quantum Sheep' - it's kinda stuck with me since!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    @ADSentertainment your in 10th grade. So retro to you would be ps one? ;) just joking couldn't resist saying that. For real though I'm glad to see youngsters trying to do something for them selves. Now if I could get my 12 year olds to do the same :(
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    edited March 2013
    Years ago I climbed atop a high mountain in search of the Old Man of the East. After weeks of wandering with no food or water I chanced upon a small and simple shack, high in the most remote area of the mountain range.

Barely able to walk, I stumbled to the entrance.

I was greeted by a diminutive figure of a man with balding hair, a long and unkempt beard and a crooked, friendly smile.

With my parched throat and cracked lips I croaked:

"Tell me... what... is... the best studio name ever?"

The man stood thinking, falling deep into his own mind as if in a trance. Suddenly his eyes lit up in triumph and satisfaction. Three words he spoke to me:

"Honey Tribe Studios"

And lo. So it was to be(e).

Coincidentally, Honey Tribe was also the name of my first game. So that worked out ok.
  • wolfbirdgameswolfbirdgames Member Posts: 66
    Well...Wolfbirdgames. I love wolves and/dogs and they are pretty much my favorite animals. A few years ago I learned to appreciate birds. The ones I owned are now gone :-( . In their honor and in addition to liking wolves I had combined the two animals into one company which will soar viciously into game development. The games I develop vary in genre. ;-)
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Darren.

About 20 years ago I was sitting in the bath with my socks on . . . .
    @ADSentertainment your in 10th grade. So retro to you would be ps one? ;) just joking couldn't resist saying that. For real though I'm glad to see youngsters trying to do something for them selves. Now if I could get my 12 year olds to do the same :(
    :P Even at my age, I've always had a thing for old classic looking games, I love their art style. especially old shoot'em ups, which is what my first game'll be.