Starting a Series of Tutorials on My New Youtube Channel.

gamewizard99gamewizard99 Member, PRO Posts: 67
edited March 2013 in Community Tutorials
I have been using Gamesalad for a while now so after not that much deliberation I have decided to start a series of very quick tutorials on the very basics of Gamesalad. The first one which I have just created just shows a beginner how to crate an actor and program the rules and behaviours to make the actor move in a scene. Here it is:

I will update regularly and appreciate any feedback or suggestions on what my video should cover next.

Comments

• DalleZDalleZ Member Posts: 85
    Pretty sure the guys at GSHelper.com got the basics covered :)

You might wanna check their tutorials so you don't "waste" your time making videos of something that they've already done.

Cheers
  • zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405
    Nice one @gamewizard99 . Lots of new guys and girls always on the look out for beginners help. Keep it up.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited March 2013
    I think it's good thing to have more tutorial videos for new users. I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism:

1. You are doing a lot of narrating of what you are doing but very little of why you are doing it. For example, what does "relative to actor" mean, why did you enter 90 and 270 (i.e. "360 degrees of a circle")? A new user has no idea and could benefit from knowing what that really means and how it's useful.

2. Without a specific goal for your video, it's hard for a new user to understand where you're going and why you're doing what you're doing. For example, why are you creating a move rule? If you don't have a reason, think of a good reason (e.g. "Let's make a car that goes from one end of the scene to the other") and then base your tutorials off of that.

You're on the right track but I think your tutorials can be a lot more valuable if you can be more intentional about what/why you are doing each action.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    edited March 2013
    Good job. keep it up. I missed old GS days when @tshirtbooth posting lots of useful video and tutorial and said "Hey their everybody tshirtbooth here from gshelper.com. I am going to show you today.." He was one man army. I really miss his absence.
  • SirioGarciaSirioGarcia Member Posts: 52
    Fantastic! @gamewizard99
  • drhaliddrhalid Member Posts: 8
    Loved it - I made my first project from that video. Somehow this video was really clear for me compared to others and it was short :-) Thanks man !