GS vs Analytics

dmk3128dmk3128 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Working with GS (Mac)
it suddenly came into my mind that apps created with GS and published on to the real iOS device have several files in Documents and Library folders that makes me think that GS has Google Analytics, Flurry and Localytics integrated in every game...which explains binary size at some point.
Seeing all this, I got 3 questions:
1. How can I see my game stat from either one of the analytics?
2. Why does GS team hide this option from the users
3. What else is being used/sent out from the user's phone in silent mode?

Can anybody from GS team answer these Qs?

Thanks!

Comments

• RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    This sure GS is using Analitycs in our games? It is a very serious allegation, if true, I will be very upset
  • dmk3128dmk3128 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    here's the steps how did I find it:
    sign .ipa and install it on your device. open Organizer in XCode and go to your testing device's Application tab. choose your app made with GS.
    XCode will show all the files created in the app's "sandbox" folder. What I am seeing there for every game that was created with GS (besides typical stuff like plists, etc.):
    Documents/googleanalytics.sql
    Library/.FlurryCurrent0_65.archive
    Library/.FlurrySent0_65.archive
    Library/.FlurryStored0_65.archive
    Library/Caches/.localytics/localytics.sqlite

all other files seems to be ok, though.

I really want to hear official answer before I start diggin' on this
    incredible .... . I too will wait for GS talk, but if it is true I find it shameful that GS is doing this with our games. We ask Flurry for long and not give it to us, but that if you have to control our games! I will look at the legal agreement because they are violating my privacy, are following my work without my consent.
  • dmk3128dmk3128 Member Posts: 3
    huh, I'd say 90% of GS community will be upset if it is true...
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    @dmk3128 - first off, this is part of the reason we don't advise you cracking and digging through our code/libraries/documents... people draw quick - and inaccurate - conclusions.
    How is this conclusion inaccurate when you later say...
    We do use Google analytics on an anonymous and aggregate basis so we can gather high level data like device information in order to better inform product and deprecation decisions.
    So technically you do use google analytics and you could tell us who buys what and you are trying to avoid a user attack.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    edited March 2013
    @SaladStraightShooter So you have some aggregate data on device usage? As in how many iphone 5 vs 4 vs 3gs etc are being used to download games made with GS?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

Our goal is to provide an analytics solution that allows our community to develop better games. We are currently in the process of releasing an analytics solution as a requested feature, which we’ve referred to internally and on the roadmap as Project Hops. This is not available in the current builds but will be launched soon.

awesome, can't wait.
    @SaladStraightShooter - Could you make that info public to us? Both interesting and useful to know to help plan choices we make when making games.
    edited March 2013
    @SaladStraightShooter Well I'm very glad to hear you guys have been working on an analytics solution. It will definitely help us to make better games.

Puzzled as to why you wouldn't release aggregate data you have already collected though?

e.g With a new Android game I'm still deciding what image sizes to use. Cater for even the oldest devices or mid-range and upwards? Having solid device data would help to inform that decision.

@SaladStraightShooter

thanks for the info, I have been calmer after listening to you, and I can not wait for that we also may use an analysis tool. regards
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    edited March 2013
    Never mind read wrong. Good to hear Project loops is this type of info access :)
  • 3itg3itg Member, PRO Posts: 382
    I was saying before, In another thread that I doubt they are collecting any data that would be truly meaningful to you.
    I use several different types of tools and analytics for various servers, websites and apps.

I think seeing my Google analytics dashboard filled with about my GS games would be cool, just like it does for my websites.
    But, getting that type of full blown analytics into GS in a generic enough way that it would provide useful info but not be a detriment to performance would be a very lofty accomplishment.
    That is why I was sure they were just collecting usage data, this data is easily accessible, small, and already collected by the OS.
    What type of phone.
    Where the user is.
    @HoneyTribeStudios
    I am fairly certain that your Google Dev Dashboard has more useful info than what GS collects. You can see the OS and Phone info specific to your app or account there.
    If you are looking for more globalized data or haven't released an app on android that would be a good indicator, they keep a running list of the population of android devices here:
    http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited March 2013
    We do use Google analytics on an anonymous and aggregate basis so we can gather high level data like device information in order to better inform product and deprecation decisions.
    So, do GameSalad apps phone home?

Am I understanding this correctly? You're using the apps created by GameSalad, by adding Google Analytics tracking, to determine device usage? Even if it's just anonymous data, don't you think that the developers/players should have the opportunity to opt-in/out?

When my Mac crashes, it doesn't automatically send anonymous data. It's set to ask for permission first.

I'm not a big fan of Google, so I don't want to feed the machine anymore information than it already has. I don't use Google Analytics on my site. I certainly don't want to add it to my apps... especially if I'm not seeing the data it collects.

I just read an interesting article that seems related to this issue...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-cell-data-can-identify-you-2013-3

Can this put GameSalad developers at risk? I keep seeing those annoying "We use cookies" banners on UK sites. Doesn't Google Analytics use cookies? (I'm not sure how it works with apps.) So, if GameSalad uses Google Analytics, and developers use GameSalad, are hidden cookies being added to apps?

I thought I read something about California getting tough about privacy policies for apps too? I'm not a lawyer, nor a resident of California, so I'm not an expert on this matter. But when I read this thread, it seemed like bad news to me.

GameSalad, I like you. I like watching the software grow and becoming more professional. I think it's important to realize that this community is not just hobbyists or beginners. And when I raise concern about something on these forums, it's typically about something that restricts the software as a useful tool for professionals.