Memory Leak? - Ran out of chunks of size 64

clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
Hi all,

I am having an issue which is proving tough resolve. The game involves letter tiles which fill the screen. There can be as many as 60 on the screen at a time. Most of the game logic is in the Letter Actor. The game runs great at 60fps, and all is well until the higher levels when spawning happens faster. Then it will freeze with "Ran out of chunks of size 64".

After a long time of reducing, and isolating I have it down to the most simple form, and can reproduce it just by repeatedly playing a sound (any sound). I then stripped down my Letter Actor of it's logic, and I can get it not to freeze or throw that exception, but now I have an unplayable game since the logic is gone for detecting game over, initializing, and just about everything else that makes the game.

The amount of logic in the Letter Actor doesn't seem ridiculous at all, and I've tried to isolate a single piece that might be causing the freezing, but it seems to just be that there's too much. ie. if I put back any more than 4 of the 11 groups of behaviours then it will freeze. Doesn't matter which ones.

Anyone got any suggestions? I've been stuck for days trying to solve this, and it just seems like a memory leak/bug with GameSalad.

Thanks for reading!

Answers

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    if you reproduced it by playing a sound why did you need to remove all of the logic? I believe GS stated they were adding a new sound format that would alleviate issues like this so why not just run without the sound for now?
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    if you reproduced it by playing a sound why did you need to remove all of the logic? I believe GS stated they were adding a new sound format that would alleviate issues like this so why not just run without the sound for now?
    Thanks for the reply. It seems to have resolved itself, perhaps with the recent tweaks that have been done to the Lua engine. I did also manage to reduce the logic in the main object as well. I haven't tried the sound test again to see if it'll crash, but the game plays ok now without freezing so that's good enough for me. :-)