XMB dropped out of the top 100 for Racing - should I lower price?

scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
What do you guys think? My game has been selling 10-20 per day at $1.99. Yesterday it only did 10 and this morning it was no longer in the top 100 for racing so my guess is that it will do even worse today. Should I lower the price to $.99?

I was thinking, as I have an update coming, that I could do a "Limited Time Offer" until the new update is approved.

Do you think this could bump it back into the top $100? Would the loss in profit be worth it?

Comments

• EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Well as you know the biggest problem with the app store is visibility. So your problem isn't the price of your app, its that nobody sees your app. Meaning, a cut price would just reduce profit, and probably wouldn't equate to more sales.

I would suggest you release a lite version if you haven't. Maybe make the game $0.99 in concurrence with releasing a light version.

I would leave it alone for now, though.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    thanks. I already have a lite version that has been DLed about 50,000 times (I released it a while ago). I guess I have to hope that people with the lite version will look it up and buy it. I do have an update in review so maybe giving out more promos will help.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Yeah, releasing your promos after the update lands would definitely get you back in the top 100 for racing! Good luck!
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    Just put it as a limited time offer with !!!ON SALE!!! That way people will buy it because they know they are saving money :)
    has anyone tried this who can give me some actual figures? thanks!
  • paulitsmepaulitsme Member Posts: 109
    We have lowered our app prices from 1.99 to 0.99 a few times. It normally gives a boost for 1-2 days from the pricedrop sites and then it goes back to a similar sales level but half the revenue.

Why not drop it to 99cent for a day as a special offer?
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    I saw a day or two spike as well but returned to the lull afterward. I'd say don't do it.
    What if I am right around the #100 rank for the racing category? Would a short term "special" do the trick to get me back in the top 100 for racing where people can actually find my app?
  • paulitsmepaulitsme Member Posts: 109
    Its likely that it would push it back up but then you might drop straight back out after a day or two.

But nothing is certain with the appstore
    An update.
    A price drop.
    A competition.
    Reviews.
    Honestly i'm not sure I haven't made $40
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    I would make an update (aka a "bug" fix) and then update your post over on TouchArcade (aka TA). That is usually good for a 2 to 10 sales-per-day boost if your app is halfway decent...which it is. If you play your cards right, you can pre-announce the new version in your TA post and then a day or two later when it is approved, let them know again in the TA post. Two non-purposely-bumped bumps to the forum front page.

Or even just announcing the sale (if you do drop it) in your TA post may suffice.
    thanks, guys I appreciate the help! I have never had a game that was good enough to worry about until this one!
    I cant wait for that to happen to me :(
    According to AppFigures I am currently 112. I think I am going to lower it to $0.99 until the update comes out. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back...