Particle System Crash

dpkonofadpkonofa Member Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I'm starting with the basic Asteroidz game and trying to create it so that particles are formed when the large and small rock actors are destroyed so that it looks like they're actually exploding. I've tried with just simple colors but also with small images and, as soon as the actor is hit with the missle, the smaller items are spawned (like the smaller rock pieces) but the particles don't form and the game freezes. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Comments

• dpkonofadpkonofa Member Posts: 2
    So, part of what I've figured out is that particles spawned by an actor are destroyed when the actor is destroyed. Is there any way to avoid this? It's causing 2 problems for me. One, it's probably causing this crash as the particles are spawned and then the actor is immediately destroyed so there's no origin or actor to base the particle's numbers on. Secondly, it's causing the smoke trails from my rockets/missiles to disappear as soon as they touch the edge of the screen (since I have them destroying when they're off the screen). Any solutions to these?
  • KamazarKamazar Member Posts: 287
    I had a similar problem with my game Lunar Smoke. When I pressed a key to boost my ship upwards, smoke would be released. If I did it again before the previous smoke particles had disappeared, they'd get destroyed immediately, making it look really unnatural. What I did was just create a separate actor for the particles, and use the spawn actor behavior. If you want the particles to explode in random direction, just use the random function and enter (0,360).