Just cant get .m4a music file to play on windows os

johnhendyjohnhendy Member Posts: 10
I put this on the windows category but didn't get any real help. Its probably better here.

I can not get GS to play a .m4a file. I have used converters and tested the files and they work correctly. I have tried all sorts of suggestions that I have read on here and watched a number of GS videos. But, I just cant get it to work on my machine. I have imported the .m4a file and can see it, but it wont play. Yet outside of GS I can play the file no problem. I have been at this a day now, am I missing something. ogg/wav work fine. Has it got to be a file that originated from the mac platform, which means the converter I have is no good. But then it still plays on my windows machine. I use VLC media player. I'm using GS 0.10.00 with a basic license. GS offers the ability to load music and sound files, Sound files are mp3 ogg/wav etc, but they cannot be controlled with the music behaviors. It is the Music behavior and the .m4a file I would like working so I can control the music by using the Pause Music or Stop Music behaviors.

I should also point out that I am using Windows XP with SP3 2 Quad CPU 2.40 GHS and 3.25 GB of RAM.

Thanks

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Try deleting it an importing it again. Maybe something happened to it during import.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    I wonder if you need to install a codec to play M4A on Windows? Might need one. Dunno.

Try googling "windows m4a directshow decoder" and see if you can find something useful there.
    I think @codewizard might be right as if you're using VLC which is usually a brute force app for playing unsupported file types on either a Mac or Windows.
  • johnhendyjohnhendy Member Posts: 10
    Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I tried a few things but again with no luck. I installed QuickTime 7 as that has apples codecs installed and my music file played correctly inside QuickTime. When I ran GS I deleted the file and then reloaded it but there was still no music playing. I also installed DirectShow as suggested and again had no luck with the music file. It seems strange to me as to why GS doesn't play MP3 in the windows version. I have also read that QuickTime interprets the M4A files as mp4 files. Its just a change in the extension name. So by using the M4A format, its just causing unnecessary complications and additional installations on windows systems. Is there a procedure that we can all follow to get the Music up and running so I can use the music behaviours. I know I'm not the only one still using XP as an OS.
    Ah there is your issue. GS for windows is not designed to run on XP.
    Such a shame that, ;-( because I just got the m4a file to run in windows media player, which means XP SP3 can now interpret the file. Unfortunately as soon as I run the project it crashes because of the music file. Surely this is something that can be fixed, because everything else works on XP.
    I have to leave this comment, if you have decided to leave Windows XP by the way side you are loosing a potential 38% percent of the OS market see here http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0 If you need an XP tester, I would be more than happy to oblige.
    I have had numerous years testing software for the Utility Industry as well as the Media Industry on Macs and PC's. I have used Filemaker Pro and Fox Pro on the Macintosh and on the PC for many years. I am well aware of cross platform and compatibility issues. I believe GS will be a market breakthrough if it can combine all the OS's like Filemaker Pro has, to become a successful piece of software combining all the popular operating systems available. This takes time, but with the right people contributing, I have found success can be achieved for all.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    To get m4a playback to work you need a m4a directShow Filter. (QuickTime does not use direct show to playback m4a from what I remember).
    Thanks BlackCloakGS by using DirectShow FilterPack 5.1 and a bit of jiggery and pokery I managed to get the m4a files to run within GS and use the music behaviors too. So far its looking very good on Windows XP.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    @johnhendy glad to hear everything is working
  • thumbfrenzylabzthumbfrenzylabz Member, PRO Posts: 50
    I downloaded DirectShow FilterPack 5.1 and installed.... but it doesn't say which pack to install for playing .m4a files. So I installed all of them. It still doesn't play .m4a files in GameSalad. I installed BASS, CDDA, CDXA, and LAV. Each sepeartely. None of them allowed me to play .m4a files. This is frustrating. Perhaps I have to restart my computer to make it work. Hopefully my computer reboots after whatever files I just installed into my registry... lol