Updated App... Relisted?

PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
If you update your app, does it show up in New Releases?

Comments

• WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    No.

Cheers, Weswog
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Heh... I was thinking that was the case... then why update an app if no one is going to see it? It seems that I'm better off abandoning my old apps and simply release sequels or deluxe versions.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    plus you also get another set of 50 promo codes to hand out.

Although you don't get any money, those still count as sales and will propel you up the rankings.
    If there's a bug fix... then it makes sense to update the game. For example, if GameSalad did a performance enhancement update, then I would very likely update my games. I play the games I create, so I like to make them better. However... what incentive is there to go back and dramatically improve the game?

If you had a 100 level game... but only 50 were ready for launch... then it seems to make more sense to release the 50 now and then release the next 50 as a sequel. Otherwise, you're basically creating content that a lot of people are not going to see.

In-App purchases would help with this problem. GameSalad doesn't have that yet.

This is yet another reason why I like Android Market more than Apple's App Store. When I update a game, that hasn't been updated in a while, it pops to the top of the list. This gives me more incentive to go back and make older games better.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    One thing I am trying (jury is still out) is to use my lite version as a way to communicate with people about my full version. So now If I update my full version which has been out for 9 days and has been downloaded a few hundred times I also update the lite version that I released two months ago and has been DLed 50,000 times. In the update description of the lite game I describe the new features found in the full version update as well as the lite version (I try to add some new content to the lite version to keep people happy). It seems to be working so far as XMB has stayed in the top 100 for racing for almost 10 days now.
    I hate having lite versions though. I haven't seen many conversions with lite versions either. With iPad / iPod versions of my game, I don't want to have to make four copies of one game.

Heh, basically I'm saying that I hate the App Store. Does GameSalad have Android / Web support yet?
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    No and I wouldn't hold my breathe! How can you be sure if you have had a conversion from lite to full? Is there a way to know this?
    Well... Photics: Revisions ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photics-revisions-lite/id332511745?mt=8 ) is a book that I put on the App Store. It was my first Xcode project. And like tshirtbooth suggested, people still find it. I'm thinking people download it because it's free. So, when I look at my sales report, I can see that people are downloading the free version. However, to finish reading the story, the full version is needed. By looking at my sales reports, I can tell that it's not an effective way to promote my book.

Although, on Android, it's like night and day. Sales of Photics: Revsions were pretty decent on the Android Market... pitiful on the App Store. For Android, I find that releasing early and forming a beta community can be successful. On the App Store, it seems that you have one shot. And even if you do everything right, some technical glitch can mess things up.