Which animation tools?

sdparduesdpardue Member Posts: 110
Curious about which animation tools you've found useful and easy to accommodate within GS.

I'm currently using Animation-ish Home 1.0, an introductory 2D tool from Toon Boom. Yes, it will do frames and export a sequence of .PNG files, but there's no way to modify its 500x375px animation size.

I've modified the size of the actor, with width and height relative to the 500x375 size (so as not to produce distortion), but I'd rather work at the intended size, and not be restricted to the landscape orientation for obvious reasons.

Before I invest in a more capable tool... What works for you?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Pixen works, as does Quicktime for me.

Be careful with those huge images, and non-power-of-two sizes - It will severely affect memory useage on an ipod touch/iphone.

As I found out when my 64x64 actors were using 512x512 images :O

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    If you are lucky enough to have Flash, that will help take a lot of the in-be'tween' graphics work out. Alternatively Pixen looks good too and it's free.
  • KamazarKamazar Member Posts: 287
    I use Anime Studio Pro for transitions and some random animations in the background. None of my games have really called for animated sprites so I just stick with GIMP and edit images if I need a quick and simple animation done. Gotta check out, Pixen, though. Looks good.
  • sdparduesdpardue Member Posts: 110
    Great suggestions! I'll check 'em out.

Thanks!
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    Use After Effects, it can do anything and everything u need for animation.
  • tekkendptekkendp Member Posts: 49
    Asked a question, but I have just figured it out.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Wow, thanks for Pixen. This looks like the program most GS users would want to work with.