Using the loop behavior (Video)

Have been playing with the new loop behavior. Found it handy for a power shot meter for a new game we're working on.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Very nice. Thanks for making a vid, Mr. Bacon!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Thought I'd give everyone a taste of what loop has to offer. I'm sure some our math gurus will build some clever algorithms to use in conjunction with loops. Plus the new loop table should make searching tables a real possibility.
    Bumping as everyone was distracted by WWDC.
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    @FryingBaconStudios thanks for this video mate, since @Tshitbooth left I think the community has been lacking a major player on the tutorial front, but by looking through the rest of your tutorials I think you are doing just as good a job as @Tshirtbooth, again, well done mate :) :)
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2013
    @tshirtbooth your still lurking around the forums I see, good job I wasn't saying anything bad about you or things could have gotten really awkward :P
    @tshirtbooth Thanx for the compliment. When you were doing them I didn't feel the need to do videos as a serious thing. Once you moved on to other ventures, I decided someone needed to fill that void since GS didn't. At that point I decided if I was going to do it, I would do it well. I have a degree in radio and television and set out and designed a couple formats. The GS Minute which are short how to's and then the regular teaching tutorials which are longer and now I've added the Pro series. I invested some cash in More software to do it right. I use Motion, Screen Recorder Pro,Final Cut Pro, Reflector and Apple TV for device display and run. All my audio mixed and tuned through GarageBand. It takes some time to edit one together and get it how I want but doing something well is worth taking the time to do it right. As most know, I don't profit in anyway from any of this but I have been kicking around the idea of using IBooks creator to do a complete GS reference guide complete with videos and images and written material to sell. I wouldn't stop doing videos free but a project like that would be a lot of work and take time away from my own games and contract projects. At this point I'm waiting for @codewizard to get farther along in his development before I would consider starting it. Maybe next year, who knows.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    That's cool props right there from @tshirtbooth. Thumbs up and cool points for both of you.
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Great stuff. Nice job @FryingBaconStudios!

My only concern with the approach in your video is that it relies on the performance level of the device to dictate a gameplay mechanism.

In some ways, it would be good to have a Timer in there still, to prevent future faster devices, or older slower device, from varying so much in the gameplay experience.

Effectively, this code in the example would run "as fast as the device can go", which could be 60 frames per second, or on an older device it might be 10 frames a second.

I guess with iOS devices, they shouldn't vary too much, so I guess it's not a big deal!

But I always think it's a shame when the old games from the 80's are sometimes unplayable because they were coded to run as fast as possible, which ran fine at the time, but a few years later, they would just load into the game, and be a blur of motion, and you'd be dead. :)

Like "Death Track". :)

edited June 2013
    Well if you think about it..FPS determines how all your games responds as a whole. So this means how fast the device responds to when a touch happens. So basically this keep everything in scale. Anytime you can match overall performance to FPS is better overall. This is how they do buffering for network multi-player games. They match the FPS to the lowest device connected to the environment. In console games this is called lag which is why when you're connected say to a environment say like battlefield and are in a room when someone with a slow connection enters the game lags and this is why you get booted from the room by the server when you're FPS falls under the minimum. 60 FPS is always the max as this is how screen frame rates are measured so until they change the screen rate which the transition from 30 to 60 took 60 years to change. I think we're safe.
    I had no idea First Person Shooters could do all that. I thought they were just good for fragging. B-)
    edited June 2013
    Ohhhhh! You just wait until you are on Battlefield 3 buddy! I am officially Battlefield 4 commander qualified! I led our 32 players to victory running the commander operation center. Beat them by two hundred points! Even the Dice "instructor" was impressed. You'll see, you'll all see!!!

Okay done hijacking the thread... :D