Opinion on whether or not sounds enhance games

fishbowl1fishbowl1 Member Posts: 54
Not music, just sound FX. Eg, a 'click' when something snaps to place.

Comments

• BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    Absolutely, I don't think there's much argument that sound effects don't enhance games, is there?
  • IcedBIcedB Member, PRO Posts: 384
    *This post should be closed due to obsurdities
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    edited June 2013
    Yes, falls under User Experience and/or Human-Computer Interaction.
    The "clicking" sound is like your reward to the user, telling him "Good Job! You got it to snap properly!" or something to that effect. Make him feel good about it so he'll keep at it.
  • fishbowl1fishbowl1 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks- Guess it seems a bit obvious, but when I play games my sound is always turned off, so I just wanted to make sure.
  • SearleSamaSearleSama Member Posts: 108
    edited June 2013
    I assume you are mainly speaking of sound effects in mobile games? I think when it comes to mobile games, sound effects and music are often approached differently than a PC or console game. Most mobile game players actually do turn off sound when playing a game. I think they do so for several reasons.

1. location of where they are playing (usually out in public where sound from devices can be a disturbance.)
    2. repetition. Most mobile games have repetitious gameplay so in turn the player hears the same sound effect over and over makes it really annoying.
    3. amateur quality. Lets face it, indie one man developers cant produce as quality sound effects or music as a triple-A studio can. If it sucks, people will turn them off.

So in your development, sound of course should not be ignored. Just think about your player and how the sound effects would best be heard so they are not just turned off.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited June 2013
    That's not true at all have you played @RP and I's game puck it? I'm a sound engineer checkout the audio and then tell me it doesn't matter. Sound makes a huge difference just watch a movie without sound and I'm not talking about just the missing dialogue. Sound brings your work to life. In any media experience the key is to use all the players senses to create an experience. The problem is not the lack of resources that make indi game sound bad it's the lack of understanding how to create the experience with sound. To get that you need film experience.

I have a video series on how to do sound work.
  • WingmanappsWingmanapps Member Posts: 458
    edited June 2013
    Pop in some nice headphones and play "Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery"
    Nuff Said!! :-w

Also best looking pixelart game out there
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    You play with sound off, and your asking if it makes a difference in game design?

This is technically gaming ignorance. :P I do mean that in a teasing manner, not mean.
    It's kinda like a fully clothed person asking if it makes a difference to swim in swimming trunks, because they always just go swimming with their clothes on. There is a reason why people use sound and a reason why people use swim trunks.

Now go play some games with the sound turned on.