State of GameSalad on 7-10-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited July 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post. Remember that we were off on Thursday and Friday of last week. As such progress is a bit slower in this report. Remain calm! :D

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

We’re still holding off on releasing any new stable builds. More bug fixes and optimizations are in progress in the nightly builds. Head over to the “PRO - Working With GameSalad” forum for more info.

The QA team is digging in on the nightly builds to figure out when they feel comfortable signing off on a stable release. We'll get a plan together this week and have something more useful for you at the next post.

What’s New This Week?

1. We’re continuing to look for some new hires to help cover some weaknesses in our current staffing. Will keep you abreast of the developments on this front. Are you a skilled developer or do you know one? If so, head over to http://www.gamesalad.com/jobs

2. The GameSalad Creator and engine / viewer build process is still being revamped. Looks like that work may be done any day now.

3. More async multiplayer progress has been made this week. Specifically a few more behaviors are completed and we removed / added some additional ones. It looks like we may have a version of async multiplayer suitable for internal testing next week. That means we'll be integrating it into one of our own games and testing the crap out of it before pushing it into nightly builds.

4. We've gotten our build process worked out enough so we can start cooking nightly builds again. I hear it told that a new one will be available as early as tomorrow.

5. We're turning some attention to finalizing Tizen support over the next week or so. Expect more news on this next week!

6. One of our engineers is fixing up issues with how we save & load game projects in Creator. This is to support a major rework of Creator that's been in the works for several months. Once his work is finished we should be able to give a more accurate ETA on when this rework will be available in nightly builds.

7. It turns out that the code that supports tables in Creator and the engine had several nasty warts that needed to be filed down. This was discovered during async multiplayer support work. These issues have been fixed.

8. We're literally days from starting work on our new sprite sheet and draw batching systems. This work is blocked on finalizing the build system fixed referenced in #2. More news soon!

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    there should be a new nightly build out tomorrow some time
  • zoopezoope Member Posts: 210
    Our game works so good on all the nightly builds so far, with all the awesome features. Hopefully a stable build is around the corner. Thanks GS :)

Cheers
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Curious as to why GS is still working on Tizen support. I have read several articles and reports stating its already been abandoned by Samsung and there will only be one or possibly two phones made that us that OS and only because they were already in the works. I suppose the reports could be wrong, but I'll bet they are not.
  • GOG_GamesGOG_Games Member Posts: 130
    Yay! Maybe my games won't crash all the time anymore, leaving only an un-openable empty file!
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    Hey thanks for keeping us up to date. Things are much better at GS these days. I do have a couple questions.

1. With the reworking of tables, will this fix some of the creators load times on large tables? (right now it's pretty random for me if going from table to any other part of the creator will lag or load instantly)

2. I know the new texture atlasing/sprite sheets are still in the works but is this system intended on being an actual atlas where we reference x,y on a sheet and can mix and match images of varying size or more like a sprite sheet where we have all images fit in a pre-defined box on one sheet ( or is handled on the back end with batching things together automatically)?

Thanks for your continued work.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Nice update, thanks!

Couple of questions with regard to sprite sheets.

1. Will this feed into being able to use custom fonts at all? (or will that be added as a seperate feature?)

2. When sprite sheets come, will we still be able to import images separately and use those for animations as we do now? Mainly because:

Cheers!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

Couple of questions with regard to sprite sheets.

1. Will this feed into being able to use custom fonts at all? (or will that be added as a seperate feature?)
    I'm curious now too!

I'd imagine if we can control the sheets it will allow for more efficient custom fonts in the sense that we can bake a "font sheet" that contains all letters numbers etc, but this wouldn't be very fun to call on manually. But man that could be a solution!

If gamesalad knew you were loading a font sheet and by default assigned texture spaces to a letter/number so sprite in position 1 is a, 2 is b, 3 is c, etc. Then in display text you have a drop down with font sheets and it converts the text to an image based on that. That would be so cool! One 2048/2048 could contain a whole custom font.

I guess at a minimum we could cram pre-made dialogue boxes into a sheet to make them more efficient.
    Tizen support is good, but at what point is Android IAP going to appear on the table.

Or is it still on the back burner?

Cheers
  • ycanycan Member, PRO Posts: 207
    edited July 2013
    And other problem is importing non english letters to table. If you import letters for example "ş or ğ or ı", creator will close. Can you recheck if it'll fix easily or not ? @CodeWizard
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    I like it when you say 'fixed'. Sounds jazz to ears. Keep it coming sir. :-bd
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @zoope last weeks post he mentioned they just reworked their tools for working on android and they were beginning optimization on it.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @CodeWizard With the new html5/tizen stuff - will this make it in any way easier/possible for you guys to offer pc (.exe) and linux as export options? Is pc/linux exporting something you'd want to (and be able to) do?
    @HoneyTribeStudios no, however we are doing some work internally to help with our ability to move to different platforms. No ETA on this yet
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @BlackCloakGS Thanks for the reply. I may be the minority but I'd be sooooo glad if GS could offer full desktop support - mac, pc and linux. The indie gaming audience is still mostly on pc.

I did a game jam recently where someone else coded. It felt like such a luxury that we could upload pc, mac and linux versions!

As an aside you really notice the development speed that GS offers when you do a game jam. i.e you see how much people can get done in a couple days using different programming environments. And can compare that to what you can do in GS in the same time frame.
    @HoneyTribeStudios I agree I would love to support all the desktop as well (I really love linux) . Definitely something I would like to do, but I don't have any time frames that I can offer right now.
    @FryingBaconStudios My bad, need to read more carefully instead of skimming thr some. Thanks mate :)
  • Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134
    Hi, any date for a windows build?
    Its been a long time since the last release.

• dingosmoovdingosmoov Member Posts: 130
    WooHoo! :) on #3
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    More info on sprite sheets:

We'll do our best to hide the complexity of sprite sheet management from you. In the general case your usage of Creator will be unchanged and this system will "just work."

In more advanced cases you may want better control over how Creator organizes your sprite sheets to minimize draw calls. I can see a high bar implementation that allows you to choose what sheet contains what images. Definitely not a requirement for initial release though... but it'd be nice to have for sure!
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @CodeWizard

Just curious is there any news on the LUA free engine? Has it been scrapped? Is it on hold? It's been over a year since Alpha LUA free was announced and it would be nice to have any kind of update. Just seems like a lot of work is being done on the current engine when it may be better spent on the LUA free?

Thanks
    Wow I can believe we're still talking about LUA Free. This was discussed adnosium when codewizard was hired. In short it was discussed that there will be no LUA free engine. Code wizard said he believed LUA when coded right would work just as well. I'm not sure if those threads still exist maybe a search but it was well documented and throughout discussed and point out there will be no LUA free creator.
    @FallacyStudios The problem with a "lua free" engine if I remember right is the difficulty of converting what exists into native code and making it compatible with our projects we have now. With an improved LUA engine through things like sprite sheets, custom fonts, and general code clean up we can have the best of both worlds and continue to get features added. Seems like a win-win situation to me.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited July 2013
    Well, it may not be LUA free, but it is Luau free!

I'm confident that CodeWizard has some great tricks up his sleeve to take the creator places we have not expected. It's impressive to see how far it's been coming along since he took the helm.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    Was just asking. It's not like I'm on here every hour of every day. Just pop in from time to time.

I hope @CodeWizard can because I'm still not seeing anything close to the kind of quick load responses I was seeing in their LUA free alpha video.
    It's already been said that the are not building a LUA free engine so what is there to ask about. The question was answered months ago. This whole load time issue is ridiculous most all games including consoles have load times. Our game puck it had load times and we didn't get one hint of a complaint. Why? Because people like the game and we put a loading logo up. Load times are a part of gaming always has been. Although I'm sure they will get better I don't think it's that big of a deal to user as people speculate.
  • Team6LabsTeam6Labs Member Posts: 541
    Load types don't really upset people but bad frame rates do. & yeah I kind of question why GS scrapped the lua free engine. It was so much better than what we currently have. But im no engineer. I would take multiplayer + load times over no load times + bad project transition anyday.
    People saw one example of the software loading on a video and then jump to assumptions it was better? We don't even know how it performed overall. And just imagine the outrage when they were told it wasn't backwards compatable. I don't even know why I'm commenting on this.