Creating Randomly Spawning Thought Bubbles

I'm working on creating a game with game salad for the first time. What I am looking to do is have bubbles with short sentences appear at random spots on the bottom of the screen, have them rise up the screen, and allow the user to click and drag them to different parts of the screen, getting points for correct placement.

Anyone have any advice on how to do this? Are there tutorials out there you can point me to?

I'm thinking this will involve having the sentences in tables and then randomly populating the thought bubbles that will spawn randomly.

Not sure how to do this! Thanks for your help.

Answers

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited July 2013
    What you are asking for help with is very possible with Gamesalad but will certainly take some time and a good understanding of Gamesalad. If you haven't already I would read the manual, the cookbook and spend some time just learning the general concepts of Gamesalad and how it works. There are lots of great tutorials available that will teach you the general concepts of developing using GS, then you can apply this knowledge to your specific needs.

I'm sorry to not address your question directly with step by step instructions but I see it's your first post so I think the general knowledge about GS will be much more beneficial than jumping right into a specific project.

I have a few nice intro step-by-step tutorials at my site linked in my signature below and there are lots more available from other users as well.
  • infiniteflowinfiniteflow Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for sending the link timolapre. I haven't been ablew to open the .gsproj file. Is there another way to check out what you sent?
  • joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207
    Hey @infiniteflow I will answer your question.
    Step one

Keep up with individuals needs with actor level attribute. then Using a timer created like this. every 1 second change attribute timer to timer+Random(1,100). then make a rule if attribute timer >= 300
    2.Make a rule within the do section of this rule. If Hunger <= 5 , Spawn actor Hunger bubble.
    3. Reset TIme

Seems like the easy part of the question, the question you should be asking Is how to constrain the thought bubbles to the heads of enumerable actors. YOu can't. you will need a scene level or game level attribute for everything that will have a thought buble
    spawn reset attribute timer to zero. AND spawn thought bubble.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Tech a man to fish he eats for a life time.

The Guru
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited July 2013
    the question you should be asking Is how to constrain the thought bubbles to the heads of enumerable actors. YOu can't
    Ah, but you can. :)

It's not easy but it's possible. See my health bar demo and replace the health bars with thought bubbles: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/384027/#Comment_384027

Althought reading the initial post, I don't see that s/he needs to constrain them to heads...

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User