I Cant Jump

DeadmanDeadman Member Posts: 3
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello,

First up - I a newbie to this system. And i think its a great program!

Second - i cant get my Actor to jump. I set him up, he's on a scene, there is standard gravity value, and i have set a Timer rule which adds 300 velicity for 1 second when i press "W". Everthing looks good.I preview the game. I press "A" and "D" and he moves left and right, and then I press "W" and.....nothing. No movement at all.

I am very new to all this, and I have looked through the forum and found the "Jump" related posts and tried them. But noneof them see mto work, or look like anything ive tried...Any ideas you Experts?

Comments

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Welcome Deadman.

If you check around the wiki, how-to's, and forums you will find help.

Specifically:
    http://gamesalad.com/wiki/how_to_gsc_jump

My CodeMonkey Random Tips section here in the forums.

http://gamesalad.com/wiki/how_to_know_which_movement_to_use For the reason why Jump doesn't work while you have the Move behavior.
  • CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
    You say you have a timer rule which "adds 300 velocity for 1 second." This approach seems a bit odd and could be related to your problem. :)

Change Velocity takes effect instantly; it doesn't ramp up over time, and it doesn't "expire" when a timer ends. So with this behavior you wouldn't need a timer, you would simply do something like this:

When key W is down, Change Velocity [300, 90 degrees relative to scene]

If you want an effect that happens over time, try Accelerate. Codemonkey's first link has a good tutorial which uses an Accelerate behavior to jump. But the above is probably simpler (to help you debug).
  • DeadmanDeadman Member Posts: 3
    Thankyou very much guys.

Ok, what if - by some random chance - that all the above didnt work? If there any other method to make the Actor jump? I only have two actors thus far - "ground" + "player1"... Am I missing something fundemental?
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Too much gravity? Try with a small gravity like 30.

It could help us if you tell us what behaviors you used.

Rule: When key pressed W is down
    --Timer For 1 second
    ----???? 300 added velocity

Rule: When key pressed A is down
    --??? (left movement)
  • DeadmanDeadman Member Posts: 3
    THANKYOU - My gravity was at 350 and i thought it looked pretty good.....but i couldn't jump. That problem now fixed. Accelerate left and right and Change Velocity for the jump. Perfect.....

....However now my Actor (who's is a human man) now keeps sliding around like he's on ice....cool effect - but the ground is supposed to act like grass....Move behaviour acted like i wanted but i changed it out for Accelerate which doesn't act quite the same.... any thoughts?