how much to pay someone to make an app?

If you were to make an app/game for someone from start to finish by request, what would your rates be?
Hourly?
I have no idea of what a good rate is.
Thanks

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Hourly for sure. You never no how long it'll take to complete a full game. You may think that it will only take X amount of hours, but there's always bugs and extra things added to a game. Hourly is the way to go, hands down.
  • blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
    @Braydon_SFX
    what is a good hourly rate then?

That depends on your skill level, portfolio, etc. Mainly, that's for you and your client to decide.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited July 2013
    $30 - $50 an hour but clients normally want a price based on a complete game and not an hourly rate so it's up to you to do a detailed report on what you will do for x amount after they send you a design doc.

Don't forget to state that ANY extras will have to be charged for so there's no confusion later on.

Cover all your bases and you will be fine for eg don't just allow the client to say I want a title page make them explain exactly what happens on the title page for eg does the game name come scrolling in from the left with lightning strikes and a jingle playing...you get the idea :)

Darren.
    Okay so when I have my first two apps published it should be around $10? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure since I don't know the market very well.
    Thanks

Oh thanks deep blue apps. I didn't see that. Mine will probably be lower than that I'm guessing though since I have little experience.

$10 for a full game? Shoot, I'd do that if you could make me a Cut the Rope game...Or wait, how about Infinity Blade? :D Haha, just playing around with ya. Hopefully you'll get some business to help with your portfolio and experience.
    I know, hourly though haha :D. I'll go around $30 or so I'm thinking.
    Thanks for the help!

Gotcha. I thought it was $10 for a full game, not hourly. ;)

Best of luck!
    While we're here, does anyone want a game made? :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    No offense but I just saw a thread we're you're asking how to put an adhoc on a phone. Just by that I would say you're not ready to be selling your services.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    I whole heartedly agree with @FryingBaconStudios, some of your recent threads;

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/58314/my-game-in-1-scene-how-do-i-make-the-buttons-not-be-effective-once-in-different-scene#latest

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/58461/make-display-text-opacity-0#latest

Those 2 alone highlight you are no where near charging someone for your services!

This isn't me being a di*k but you're looking to charge people their hard earned money for a level of service you cannot deliver!
    Don't worry, I am not going to be selling my services soon. Just wondering what the market was like.

I definitely don't have enough experience yet haha :)

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291
    @blue_elephant I am going to give you some information so later on down the road when you are ready, you will have an idea. As you know, you can either do it one of two ways. Hourly or one price for the whole project. Most companies don't charge by the hour for a couple reasons. The client likes to really know how much they are gonna need to invest into this and by charging by the hour, it doesn't give them a clear idea. Things could end up taking longer than you originally thought for a number of reasons which then has them spending more money and that won't make them happy especially if it ends up being a lot of money. Also, you could end up short changing yourself. An example would be that maybe you were able to complete the project faster and in less hours that you originally thought so then in that instance you lost money because you completed the project sooner. There are a couple other reasons why charging by the hour is not really the way to go but those are the main reasons.

I personally like to do the whole project for one price. I write up my proposal that includes in depth of what is needed and is included. I then talk with the customer about the payments. If they want to pay the whole thing up front, half now, half later or split it into multiple payments. I usually split it up into multiple payments basically saying that paying this amount will get you this much work and to this point in the project and then write up another proposal based on the split up pricing. I make sure to include *everything* that will be done for the price. You want to make sure everyone is on the same page and don't want to be in the position where you present what you have so far and they were expecting more work than what was done or something else. I also like adding disclaimers in the proposals basically reiterating what is included in the proposal and the pricing and by them signing they acknowledge and understand what they are getting and the price. You just want to make sure you are covered from all sides and that everyone is on the same page from start to finish. It will make them happy, you happy and possibly get you more work down the road.

Hope that helps!
  • Jacob_oehJacob_oeh Member Posts: 1

ill pay someone $100-300 for a gaming app

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

I agree with @DeepBlueApps‌ and like to add then when you think about a complete price. Try to calculate the hours and multiply the outcome by 2 because in my experience you tend to think of the job being easy and halfway the game you run out of hours ;)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Why no Doctor Evil ?

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

Ok then, I would charge...