Adobe drops iPhone with blast at Apple

pastranapastrana Member Posts: 7
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/357442/adobe-drops-iphone-with-blast-at-apple

By Barry Collins

Posted on 22 Apr 2010 at 08:33

Adobe has announced it will halt development of a CS5 feature that allows Flash developers to port their apps to the iPhone.

The stable-door decision comes a week after Apple effectively banned apps created with Adobe's iPhone packager from the App Store. Adobe will continue to offer the packager in CS5 but will not spend any more time developing the feature.

"To be clear, during the entire development cycle of Flash CS5, the feature complied with Apple’s licensing terms," writes Adobe's Flash product manager, Mike Chambers, on his blog. "However, as developers for the iPhone have learned, if you want to develop for the iPhone you have to be prepared for Apple to reject or restrict your development at anytime, and for seemingly any reason."

As developers for the iPhone have learned, if you want to develop for the iPhone you have to be prepared for Apple to reject or restrict your development at anytime, and for seemingly any reason

In what's becoming an increasingly bitter battle between Adobe and Apple. Chambers accuses the iPhone maker of railroading developers. "The primary goal of Flash has always been to enable cross browser, platform and device development," Chambers claims. "The cool web game that you build can easily be targeted and deployed to multiple platforms and devices. However, this is the exact opposite of what Apple wants. It wants to tie developers down to its platform, and restrict their options to make it difficult for developers to target other platforms."

Adobe will instead focus its development on Google Android, which this week became the first mobile OS to support Adobe Flash Player 10.1. "We are at the beginning of a significant change in the industry, and I believe that ultimately open platforms will win out over the type of closed, locked down platform that Apple is trying to create," Chambers concludes.

Apple was unavailable for comment at the time of publication, but in a statement sent to CNet.com, Apple accused Adobe of running a closed shop. "Someone has it backwards - it is HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and H.264 (all supported by the iPhone and iPad) that are open and standard, while Adobe's Flash is closed and proprietary," said spokeswoman Trudy Muller.

Comments

• pastranapastrana Member Posts: 7
    NOW WHAT!!!!!???
    pastrana said:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/357442/adobe-drops-iphone-with-blast-at-apple

By Barry Collins

Posted on 22 Apr 2010 at 08:33

Adobe has announced it will halt development of a CS5 feature that allows Flash developers to port their apps to the iPhone.

The stable-door decision comes a week after Apple effectively banned apps created with Adobe's iPhone packager from the App Store. Adobe will continue to offer the packager in CS5 but will not spend any more time developing the feature.

"To be clear, during the entire development cycle of Flash CS5, the feature complied with Apple’s licensing terms," writes Adobe's Flash product manager, Mike Chambers, on his blog. "However, as developers for the iPhone have learned, if you want to develop for the iPhone you have to be prepared for Apple to reject or restrict your development at anytime, and for seemingly any reason."

As developers for the iPhone have learned, if you want to develop for the iPhone you have to be prepared for Apple to reject or restrict your development at anytime, and for seemingly any reason

In what's becoming an increasingly bitter battle between Adobe and Apple. Chambers accuses the iPhone maker of railroading developers. "The primary goal of Flash has always been to enable cross browser, platform and device development," Chambers claims. "The cool web game that you build can easily be targeted and deployed to multiple platforms and devices. However, this is the exact opposite of what Apple wants. It wants to tie developers down to its platform, and restrict their options to make it difficult for developers to target other platforms."

Adobe will instead focus its development on Google Android, which this week became the first mobile OS to support Adobe Flash Player 10.1. "We are at the beginning of a significant change in the industry, and I believe that ultimately open platforms will win out over the type of closed, locked down platform that Apple is trying to create," Chambers concludes.

Apple was unavailable for comment at the time of publication, but in a statement sent to CNet.com, Apple accused Adobe of running a closed shop. "Someone has it backwards - it is HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and H.264 (all supported by the iPhone and iPad) that are open and standard, while Adobe's Flash is closed and proprietary," said spokeswoman Trudy Muller.

• JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I, like many, hate the way apple controls everything
    But at the same time my biggest fear is that which we hate also allows for some pay opportunities.

Once everything is so "open" what is to stop it from just being like the thousands of free games all over the web? Only the big boys sell stuff via sites like IGN's download network which is hardly indie friendly.

I think that crappy apple environment's limitations allow for a small chance for indies to thrive.

I dont know.. just my 2 cents
    maybe it wont last either way
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    I think having Flash support on the Android phone will help it's sales. I think by the end of this year Android phone sales will double from about 5% to 10%. Apple will not support Flash until it effects them directly.

My Android games have out sold my Apple gams three to one. I will probable make a couple more Apple games for the iPhone and the iPad and go back to making Android games for awhile.

I made ten Android games that I've not touched in six months. My first year sales was about $6,000. This year has started out little better with the release of the Droid.
  • DaneC020DaneC020 Member Posts: 90
    James,

That is surprising to hear. What are you using to develop for the andriod? We have been looking to bring some of our products over to the droid market but the device just didn't look like it had the users for the market. Talked with some larger companies in SF at GDC and most of them had no luck on the device either due to its hardware/software limitations. Maybe this makes it easer for indies like yourself to claim a larger portion of the market?

Dane