Advanced request - terrain damage?

Hi ive been at gamesalad a while now and one thing I cant get my head around and I don't know if anyone has yet done this that could help.

most people on this forum has probably played the game (worms) from team 17. When the explosions go off and the terrain damages after explosion. Any ideas how I could make something like this possible in Gamesalad? Im looking to create a game that's similar to worms any help? or tutorials I could find to make that possible?

Cheers :D

Comments

• BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    There's no way to subtract one shape from another in Gamesalad. I think the best option you have is creating the terain from individual tile actors, and then having those be destroyed when necessary to create the changing terrain shape. You'd never be able to create an entire terrain of 1px x 1 px actors due to performance, so I think you'd have to create larger block actors to create the terrain.
  • alimpo83alimpo83 Member Posts: 188
    It will probably be very difficult to achieve a nice looking effect. Yet, the past years have shown almost nothing can't be achieved with intelligent artwork, programming and circle and square shapes ;)
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    This game is in for July Game of the Month. It has terrain damage. But I don't think collision shapes are changed.

• robbie777robbie777 Member Posts: 3
    That drifter game has exactly what im looking for by the way its terrain damaging the planets.. any know how to do that? or templates? Cheers guys
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I think the drifter game is spawning black actors when the ship collides with the planets, could be wrong.

Darren.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    ^ What Darren said. The creator of that game even said that the background has to be black because he is turning the actors hit black to create that effect. So essentially you can do it so long as you have a one colored background and you turn the actors touched that color.
    @DeepBlueApps and @FallacyStudios - I call foul. To quote a well known space movie...

OMFG it's full of stars!

The ship travels through the planets and leaves the graduated background with stars behind it.

Could it have different actors spawning depending on height?

This is very interesting - and I wonder if the maker will reveal the secrets!

Watch closely - it does not just leave black behind. It leaves the background of stars.

On youtube you can slow the video down and watch some of the planets are a bit transparent and the background gets revealed when the ship passes through. The stars are completely still - they don't move at all.

Ideas?
  • RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    Look a little closer. The stars are actually on the top of everything (not behind the planets.)

Still its an effective illusion. Nicely done.
    @RThurman I saw that but thought the planets were not 100% alpha. Good observation - getting closer :)
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @matarua Not sure whats up with the hunt for the answer but if it is that big of a deal here...

"The drilling effect was kind of tricky to figure out. But what we ended up with was leaving the background black, then spawning a bunch of trail circles behind the ship as it flew. Then we put the stars and the glow overtop of everything so it wouldnt look like the stars were getting drilled through." - @brandon.shepherd99

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/58247/game-of-the-month-july-submission-thread/p2
    Ahhh - now I get it - the gradient is over the top and so are the stars - thanks @FallacyStudios the penny has dropped totally - completely - even stopped rolling now.

There we go - just subtle enough to work - tricky :)
  • RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    Here is the effect. (Well.. sort of.)
  • VolontaArtsVolontaArts Member Posts: 510
    nice @thurman you might also find this interesting but it was done by @socks and idk how he did it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rsjpo66jgzqrwr2