State of GameSalad on 8-7-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited August 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

No stable release is scheduled yet, but we're getting close! QA is still digging through our first release candidate for 0.11.0. The first release candidate for 0.11.0 is nearly ready. I expect it to be available in the next few days!

Once our Amazon in-app-purchase and GameCircle changes are ready for release, we'll be pushing them out in a special build for you (0.10.4) This will be released before 0.11.0.

What’s New This Week?

1. We're still wrangling the build process for our Android code. It's getting really close... like days away!

2. We've finished the initial integration with Amazon's IAP and GameCircle systems. The iOS IAP and GameCenter behaviors are being reworked to be cross platform as we speak. Once that's done, it's off to QA and then we'll get this out to you.

3. We're continuing to optimize the HTML5 engine for Tizen support. We've got three engineers working away on this problem to get it finished up soon. Slow but sure!

4. We've been working on iOS 7 compatibility issues -- well, at least we're trying to. Apple's servers are still having problems, making is quite impossible for us to make progress on this. Hopefully we can pick it up again soon.

5. We're looking into an issue with Norton antivirus software on Android devices.

6. The first phase of the http://HistoryFighter.com website is complete. Second phase is underway.

7. We're still trying to wrangle the contract necessary to release async multiplayer into the nightly build.

Comments

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322
    Nice! IAP on Android is awesome!

One question: Custom loading wheel used to be on the roadmap, but I have not seen it pop up lately. Is there any news on this?
  • MlabAppsMlabApps Member, PRO Posts: 79
    edited August 2013
  • zoopezoope Member Posts: 210
    Great start with IAP on Android, cant wait for IAP on Google Play as well.

Cheers
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Please tell me your going to have a version 0.11.0 for windows coming soon as well. Gonna cause people a lot of comparability issues if not. Already having issues with 0.10.3 not working with the windows creator
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Nice! So...Are Amazon IAP and GameCircle going to be in version 0.11? Or are the new Expression to Expression comparisons, bug fixes, Loop behavior etc going to be included?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    How about that? I posted this in the wrong forum. :D I'm batting 1,000 the past two weeks.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Sounds like a solid pipeline. Amazon IAP and GameCircle will be good. Clearly love the build structure. What kind of ETA do you have on Async?
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    After my recent ordeal of my hard drive getting corrupted and losing all my files, I would like to see any form of backing up system implemented into gamesalad, which allows the user to back up game data easily to any cloud network like google drive or skydrive.

Also, any ideas when Google Play Services will be implemented?
  • RubiWorksRubiWorks Member Posts: 130
    I so happy when @CodeWizard publish about the state of GameSalad. I enter every days to see news!! :)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @PBEmpire buy a backup hard drive and use time machine. Everyone who is working on anything important should have one. I have a FireWire hard drive connected 24/7 to my machine and it backs up four times a day.
  • MillionairAppsMillionairApps Member Posts: 110
    Great work as always, hopefully will see a stable release before next Wednesday if testing goes well, it's been a few months so it should be great from what I have heard from the nightly builds. To think there has been 76 builds since 10.3. Mind blown.

I would like to second the question about loading images. They seem to have gone off the grid, as well as any info on the GameSalad Network, and if that's ever going to be for Pro or just ice cap published games.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @PBEmpire buy a backup hard drive and use time machine. Everyone who is working on anything important should have one. I have a FireWire hard drive connected 24/7 to my machine and it backs up four times a day.
    you should also check out crash plan. it starts at like $60 a year and goes down if you buy multiple years. it is unlimited offsite encrypted backups of everything. I have 1.5TB of data with them updated every 30 min or so.

I use both this and time machine
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2013
    First CodeWizard Post to fail to attract a single 'Awesome'** - the natives are growing restless !! ;)

**at the time of me making this post.
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    cant wait for a release
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Cheers for the update... have an 'Awesome'...
  • Team6LabsTeam6Labs Member Posts: 541
    @CodeWizard any news on the extendable engine/plugin system?
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    So this is Amazon IAP... what about google/android IAP? Is that coming later? So is this just IAP for Kindle?
    I feel like I'm missing something... :P
    - Thomas
  • MlabAppsMlabApps Member, PRO Posts: 79
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Approximately what is the ETA of Async? @CodeWizard
    this has been asked in other threads, the answer is they can't give one yet as there are contracts to be worked out with the companies doing the hosting. If there was a time frame I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned. I would presume history fighter will be the big test on its usage and server load abilities so once that launches we may see it (hopefully before that so we can test it to but not for full production usage).

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited August 2013
    See point 7.

No ETA yet.
  • syncdinsyncdin Member Posts: 31
    Any word on a timeframe for Gamecenter multiplayer support? I'm interested in real-time multiplayer, but it does also support turn-based play. It's not cross-platform, but it would open up a ton of opportunity.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Any word on a timeframe for Gamecenter multiplayer support? I'm interested in real-time multiplayer, but it does also support turn-based play. It's not cross-platform, but it would open up a ton of opportunity.
    Pretty sure your not going to get a timeframe for something that hasn't been mentioned as being worked on when the one they are working on has no eta yet.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Yep, that'd be really low priority, like most likely a year or more out, because they need a more cross-platform version. Who knows if they'll ever support it.
    - Thomas
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Can't wait for Turn Based Multiplayer.
    Excuse us @Codewizard, would the Data collecting and sending mentioned before be up and running within a month or two? Just wondering if I should start planning for it before release of game or wait to add in some extra features. Or was it just a thought and hadn't actually been looked at yet.
    Thanks
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Excuse us @Codewizard, would the Data collecting and sending mentioned before be up and running within a month or two? Just wondering if I should start planning for it before release of game or wait to add in some extra features. Or was it just a thought and hadn't actually been looked at yet. Thanks
    I'd really not recommend relying on anything appearing at any time. Don't get too excited about a feature, and start building a game around it until it's actually live.

I was going to hold off on releasing my first game until the Native Code engine came out. The app is now 14 months old on the App Store, and there's no Native Code engine. :)
    Man some of you guys just can't accept the fact he doesn't know. Relax.
    Man some of you guys just can't accept the fact he doesn't know. Relax.
    What doesn't he know, and what's the mistake in asking if its on its way in development or was just an idea or plan they had?
    I was curious, it hasn't been mentioned if it was in development or not. Is that not the point of posting these weekly states of gamesalad?
    He has said 100 times he has no idea when the contracts will be finalized.Without the contract for the hosting service, they can't do anything. That is all tied into Async Multiplayer. When they release Async the rest is soon to follow. What part of that don't you get? this question has been asked endlessly and he keeps saying when the contracts get finalized and he doesn't know when they will. You can keep asking but you'll get the same answer.
    @FryingBaconStudios and here is our problem. I haven't read anywhere that sending table data was actually related to hosting on their own server contracts. Async Multiplayer is not in my interest so I haven't paid to much attention to all the questions asked.
    I am more interested in using this feature to create my own leader board and that maybe this could be done of our own servers, websites. And since it was mentioned as a separate section I didn't even think it was related to their sever. So even though it is boarding on a rude question, I hope you now understand what I don't get.