My First Game! Bunny Hop HD! Made by a fifteen year old

blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
edited August 2013 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello Gamesalad! My first app, Bunny Hop HD is now in the app store! I'm fifteen years old and plan to make more in the future. Thanks to all who have helped me finish this!

The game is all in one scene, is universal for iPhone, and is available in all countries.

get it at:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bunny-hop-hd/id687493142?ls=1&mt=8
TAYRY3NT7E96
JMEKPH97EL36
M4TPJATRRFFX
WFXXKJW3NXX6
6ANXHTRRFM6L
N4XAM9HX67PL
image image

By the way, I also had a top five highscore system which worked great in the GS viewer but wouldn't work right on a device. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I hope I can make enough money of this so I can add game center, in-app purchases etc. So help me out so I can get pro!

Thanks!

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

Comments

• Fal01Fal01 Member Posts: 460
    edited August 2013
    I love your bunny! He looks like he's been down the bar and had a skinfull and now he's looking for a fight.

Well done and good luck!

It’s not a bug – it’s an undocumented feature

• brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    Good luck cool app.
  • blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
    @fal01 @brickamator Thank You!

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I took 6ANXHTRRFM6L - downloading now, ty.

Interested in this as I'm using the same stormystudio template for an Air Supply game! :)

Well done on getting your first game done, and good luck with it,

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

edited August 2013
    @quantumsheep Thanks! tell me what you think!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Looks nice. I'll have a look tonight. :)
    @Braydon_SFX Thank You ^:)^
    I've had lots of fun making this. Hopefully it does well!

• Ki4kimchiKi4kimchi Member Posts: 1
    This actually looks really fun! For your trailer I suggest putting your text while your game is playing instead of a different scene altogether. Kinda like this
    @Ki4kimchi Ya thanks for the suggestion. I'm working on a new trailer which should be a lot better!

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    Hi thanks I grabbed JMEKPH97EL36 :)
    @matarua Thanks a lot! Be sure to tell me what you think!

Thanks for all the support. Please leave some reviews and tell your friends!

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    edited August 2013
    Hey there,

I've played the game, and thought I'd post some thoughts.

Firstly, congrats on making a game, as I mentioned before!

The positives:

The menu screen is nice and simple, and looks very nice too.

I like the background clouds - a nice touch!

The graphics are crisp and colourful :)

I really like the music!

It's an addictive game mechanic (as I mentioned, I'm using the same template and figured out it was pretty addictive even as just a template!).

The negatives:

I'd move the score stuff to the top of the screen, as traditionally this is where games put their score/lives info.

Maybe add a simple music on/off button.

The rabbit, to my eyes, is horrible. The rest of the graphics look great, but the main character is really unappealing - sorry!

Most importantly, the pacing of the game is non-existant. It just gets faster and faster until you inevitably die. This means there's little point in playing the game again and again because there's no skill involved. You will always die at pretty much the same point no matter how good you get at the game, even if you succesfully jump the trunk at every point till you just can't.

The addictive element of the template was the jumping mechanic and how the player and enemy circle round the planet. I found when I was playing the template that it really wasn't enough to sustain an entire game on its own.

I'd encourage you to look at this thread:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/26881/gameplay-pacing

It did not get much attention, because people tend to be more interested in how to increase sales than actually discuss how to make their games better (not realising the latter feeds into the former mostly). But I hope you might find it useful.

Sorry if this comes across overly critical, but as I've mentioned, I'm making a game based off this template too so I'm familiar with it and its limitations gameplay wise.

I've seen you're eager to use other templates/demos for your games. I'd urge you to resist doing the bare minimum with them if this is the path you're going down, and try to add so much to the game that it really becomes your own.

Back in the mists of time, when I was your age, I didn't have something like GameSalad to make games with. I wish I did! But my imagination was running riot with game ideas even then.

It's great that you can see potential in a demo or template, but do please try and add something new to it!

Good luck with your games!

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

@quantumsheep thanks for the feedback! In response to your comment here's what I have.
    1. Moving the score to the top sounds like a good idea and I will experiment with that
    2. I am currently adding on/off, settings, etc.
    3. I am working on having some different bunnies to choose from. Not sure if ill get rid of the current bunny but its a posibility.
    4. I'm aware of the bad pacing of the game. My plan is to add new worlds and varrying obstacles once the bunny gets to a score. Like in tiny wings. You move on to the next world after a while.
    5. Yes I know, I use tons of templates and demos. But that's mostly because I'm still relatively new to gamesalad and I like to learn how to implement new techniques and add features. I have plenty of unique ideas that I hope to create when I am more experienced in the field and have a better understanding of gamesalad. I'll try to add more to any templates that I may use in the future and to bunny hop.
    Thanks again for the feedback. It's very helpful. Any further ideas on my response will also be helpful.
    Thanks!

bump!

Zero downloads to date. Thats unfortunate.

• HalfBakedProductionsHalfBakedProductions Member, PRO Posts: 248
    @blue_elephant, Everything takes time ;) If you want to get a user base, you can always try making your app free for a day :)

Best of luck,
    HalfBakedProductions
    @HalfBakedProductions Yes, I didn't expect to be huge or anything but I think its fair to at least expect 1 download!

• HalfBakedProductionsHalfBakedProductions Member, PRO Posts: 248
    edited August 2013
    @blue_elephant, I'm sure you'll get a download.
  • MillionairAppsMillionairApps Member Posts: 110
    Its great that your attempting to make games, but it really has nothing special. Ask yourself this question, would I buy this game?
    I happen to know a lot of templates ect and I can't really see too much added on.
    Same with your w.i.p car one. It's just simple, non appealing graphics placed into a template.

You need to start thinking outside the box. You now know how to use GS basics. Now push your self.

Include different planets that you can jump on to as you progress, different themes, different obstacles, something that's going to keep the player interested. Add unlock able characters.

It needs improvements to be nice in words. But take this chance to add to it, make it better and don't give up. It's tough but with new ideas you can slowly make it into a game that player may want to download or even pay for.
    I played a round with the template and came up with so many ideas. I am sure you could do the same.

All the best and I hope you spend the time to make it better.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Hi, I've taken: M4TPJATRRFFX

The 3 below that were all taken. I'll have a look and will let you know what I think.

And don't be too upset about not getting any downloads. You've still got plenty of time to learn and make that winning app :)

Try doing your next one without a template as a starting base, it might give you a little more freedom to throw together something quite unique and it's a lot more rewarding to know that you did it all yourself!

I'm not saying don't use templates at all, as there will be times when you might need a better understanding on how a particular feature works in a game. Just don't restrict yourself or your games to them.
    edited August 2013
    So I played for a few minutes and here's what I thought/found

* Graphically it's nice and clean, but I think the land/planet whatever it's meant to represent needs a little attention. It's a bit too bland/boring

* I scored over 10,000 and when you hit 5 digits the score on the left goes off screen. You need to align it so that you can get the highest possible score in there, or at least to allow 6 or 7 digits, just incase any one does play it for that long.

* The items that you pick up don't seem to happen until about a score of 4000 odd so anyone not getting 4000 odd in their first go would think the game has nothing in it but jumping a tree stump.

* Throw in more obstacles to jump, and more things to collect like coins etc.

* At the moment I can't think of how it would play but have you thought about introducing two planets on the screen, and jump between the two? You'd probably have to make everything smaller. Random thought!

* After a few minutes of play I started to notice a lag, it picked up again shortly after but it made the bunny feel slow and heavy. It might be my phone, but you might want to check it yourself.

* I'd consider making it free until you've introduced more into it or you get a bigger following, at which point you can look at upgrading to pro if you're not already, and introduce IAP's or ads. As it stands at the moment you run the risk of getting negative feedback from most people that do pay for it. I'd rather negative feedback from someone that got it for free then someone that paid for it.

Good luck with it!
    @MillionairApps
    1. My "WIP car one" is not a template. I created the terrain myself. Also those graphics are just placeholders while I get the actually gameplay right, then I add graphics. How many WIP games have you seen with great finished product graphics? I posted that because I hadn't seen a terrain in GS before and a lot of people were suggesting it like in this discussion: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/59405/wheels-join-ed-a-work-in-progress-method-for-a-wheels-type-joint#latest
    2. I am working on new planets/obstacles, thanks!

@KevinCross
    1. Thanks!
    2. What device are you using? I didn't find this error before
    3. In the next update the bonuses will appear more often.
    4. There is coins
    5. I don't know about two planets but I will look into it.
    6. Again what device are you using? I don't know why that happened to you.
    7. I'll will look into making it free.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

@blue_elephant I'm using an iPhone 4S. I can't grab a screenie in time when I get to 10,000+ as it goes too fast, but it's definitely cutting off. A smaller font, or re-positioning it should fix it.

Set your score as high as you think people would get and then use that as a guide for positioning, just remember to set it back to zero before you release it to the public :)
    @KevinCross okay thanks, ill try to fix this. Thanks for letting me know.