State of GameSalad on 9-11-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

Dear goodness, Amazon in-app-purchase and GameCircle are seemingly release ready! One more day of testing to make sure we're not imagining things. Then we'll get it scheduled for pushing live.

QA is still digging through our first release candidate for 0.11.0. Once we're done with 0.10.4 we'll get back on this.

What’s New This Week?

1. We've got a roadmap page now! Check it out: http://gamesalad.com/roadmap We'll be refining this page for a while but it's got a bunch of useful data on it already.

2. We're preparing to move to a new office in Austin. This is taking some time and will get a bit worse as it gets closer. We're scheduled to move the weekend of September 20th. Woo!

3. We've had some management turnover this week -- and have hired a new Director of Operations named Dan Magaha. This guy has 15 years of game development experience. Good stuff and welcome aboard!

4. We've hired a new web developer. He starts on 9-16-2013. We're all full up on hiring for now.

5. We're still wrangling the async multiplayer contract. It's coming along. No red flags which is awesome.

6. Lots of work is going into getting nightly builds working again. Once that's squared away, we'll push out iOS 7 support to Pros (along with more optimizations and general awesomeness).

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Good stuff. I always look forward to these weekly updates. Thanks!
  • RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124
    Nice progress! One question - When can we expect those "fancy lua optimizations" you mentioned? Performance is my number one issue at the moment.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Nice progress! One question - When can we expect those "fancy lua optimizations" you mentioned? Performance is my number one issue at the moment.
    Read the roadmap.

@SingleSparq Yeah I forgot about the roadmap for a second. "We've got a bunch of general engine optimizations waiting patiently for release in the next nightly build." Great news :)
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    IOS 7 Should be a top priority and I think that people who arnt pro still deserve to have there games work. From your point of view, you can make money of of the Playheaven ads in free games.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited September 2013
    iOS 7 is a top priority. But getting the changes out to everyone requires that they go through the nightly builds first.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    edited September 2013
    @brickamator Non-Pro members will most likely get iOs 7 support too. Pro users will just get it earlier in nightly builds so we can have our apps ready by release of the software.

Edit: Refreshed page after CodeWizard Posted.
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    Cool, thanks for the roadmap. Looking good. I wish I had a time machine so i could have the advanced features now.
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    Looks like a really nice future! I do have to ask is JSON integration going to occur still? Sorry if I missed it on the roadmap, I just think JSON could be really useful.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    edited September 2013
    @Weswog That will be implemented with Async Multiplayer.
    What happened to connecting to a server using JSON. Is that still on the road map?
    it's tied with the ASYNC

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Wait... no JSON mentioned on the roadmap? Or did I miss it @CodeWizard?
    - Thomas
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Wait... no JSON mentioned on the roadmap? Or did I miss it @CodeWizard?
    - Thomas
    it was discussed in last weeks 'state of gamesalad'

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    @CodeWizard

I assume this new sprite system will rely on the current collision system a circle and square and nothing new and MUCH improved and judging by the current and future roadmap this will be the case for quite awhile..
    @CodeWizard

I assume this new sprite system will rely on the current collision system a circle and square and nothing new and MUCH improved and judging by the current and future roadmap this will be the case for quite awhile..
    Huh? You're not understanding what the new sprite system is I guess. It is not a collision system, it is purely a method to have less draw calls and more efficient texture usage. Performance increases only.

I'd imagine pixel or alpha collision is an entirely different beast to slay.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    Pixel collision would be nice. Hard to do with Box2D by my reckoning. Custom collision polygons are easier. I'll update the roadmap with this info.
    @CodeWizard

Huh? You're not understanding what the new sprite system is I guess. It is not a collision system, it is purely a method to have less draw calls and more efficient texture usage. Performance increases only.

I'd imagine pixel or alpha collision is an entirely different beast to slay.

I understand what it is 100% my question had nothing to do with that, I wanted to know how they would interact with collision shapes available in GS.
    Pixel collision would be nice. Hard to do with Box2D by my reckoning. Custom collision polygons are easier. I'll update the roadmap with this info.
    I could live with Custom collision polygons. :)
    edited September 2013

I understand what it is 100% my question had nothing to do with that, I wanted to know how they would interact with collision shapes available in GS.
    Then why ask if it specifically relied on it? That part was entirely unneeded in any case. It was basically dissing a feature many of us are anticipating because it's not going to rely on something completely unrelated. Also this will be a much improved method... So that is something "new"... Anyway
    This would be nice.

Then why ask if it specifically relied on it? That part was entirely unneeded in any case. It was basically dissing a feature many of us are anticipating because it's not going to rely on something completely unrelated. Also this will be a much improved method... So that is something "new"... Anyway
    Because if the sprite sheet uses the old collision system then it's just another half baked feature in my opinion, animating things is easy in GS but designing everything around a circle and box is getting old..at no point did I diss this new feature but in all honesty I would rather have them add a triangle collision shape to go with the Box and Circle then a sprite sheet..
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    Nice update and roadmap. Looking forward to engine optimizations, async multiplayer, and the Mobclix replacement! Didn't see custom fonts on the roadmap, but I hope you all can implement it too. Thanks GS

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Nice update and roadmap. Looking forward to engine optimizations, async multiplayer, and the Mobclix replacement! Didn't see custom fonts on the roadmap, but I hope you all can implement it too. Thanks GS

I saw it, near the bottom xD
    - Thomas
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    Reading that roadmap is like reading my own Christmas list, woohoo!
  • syncdinsyncdin Member Posts: 31
    The extensibility / plugin stuff will be awesome!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    All very cool this week... so close I can nearly taste the update...
  • RubiWorksRubiWorks Member Posts: 130
    I can´t wait to see async multiplayer dear @CodeWirzard :D

Usually i enter to forum every days to look news!! I need a countdown to sleep well xD
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    I'm glad we will have some of that sweet optimization in 0.10.4 =)
  • iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648
    I'm happy with this update. The roadmap is a great addition.
    @CodeWizard - Is synchronous multiplayer not on the roadmap yet?
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    edited September 2013
    @CodeWizard - Is synchronous multiplayer not on the roadmap yet?
    Read harder...
    8-|

Wait you mean as opposed to Async Multiplayer, gotcha. It never been mentioned as a thought so I would assume that road isn't on the horizon yet
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089