Should I change my release date? - I don't want to miss out on the new releases.

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
Ok, I submitted my game 'Quake Builder' on Wednesday last week, its is now Monday. It still has not changed to 'in review' status.

I don't want to miss out on being on the 'New Releases' page.

I know there are still a couple of days to go till my release date,

but...

Should I wait and see?

Should I change the release date now, to Friday. (Or will this make me miss the new releases page due to changing it for some reason).

What would people advise from your own experience.

Cheers...

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I would change your release date to Friday or Saturday, those are the best days in my opinion, to have games released. Hopefully your game will be accepted by then :)

If it's still "in review" by Friday and hasn't changed status, then I'd change your release date a few days further
    I've actually had the opposite experience. I've done really well with my apps being on Friday's and Saturday's lists, but I think it depends on:

What letter of the Alphabet your title starts with, if it's closer to A, it's better

AND

What category your game is in.

If it's in kids or education, or a category that's not saturated with new releases, then I'd say a Friday or Saturday release date, but if it's in action, adventure, or other saturated categories, then just go for a weekday release :)

If you can think of a way to have your game title start with a letter closest to A, and release on a Friday Saturday, then your in business.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    cheers...a bit late now to change the name. 'Awesome Quake Builder' perhaps...

I guess I will leave it for the moment then, then on Tuesday if its still not in review I will change the release date...

though I don't want to put it to far away as I'm already checking my email every five minutes as it is...the anticipation is killing me...(that might be a slight exaggeration, half wounding me perhaps)
    Yea I agree with you, just listed the exceptions above :) If you are closer to letter A or are in a non-saturated category, then weekends are best, otherwise I agree, weekdays are better
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Don't change the date. Just be patient. Our last app spent 3 or 4 days before changing to in review and then 1 day to approved.

Don't name your title around new release positioning. Name it to be catchy and clever and interesting. You will only have about 6 hours on the front page of new releases probably. Rely on the long haul of your app...not the first day in sales. If the app is good...then it will catch on over time.

BTW: Our best sales days so far seem to be Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Also...market the crap out of it. 80-90% of your initial sales will be a result of marketing efforts or word of mouth...not because the user "discovered" it in the new releases. New releases positioning in my opinion is overrated...it will probably account for maybe 10 sales total on average. It is probably a rare exception that you would experience more than that.

Put the title out...market it...and let it do its work while you begin your next title. Then re-analyze things after 30-45 days. Make adjustments then. Rely on title cross-pollination and make sure all your products are your best work.

Just my philosophy that we use...seems to do okay...but we are new to this too...so there is not a lot of "performance" data to substantiate it. Just hypothesis.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Thanks for the input synthesis much appreciated. I went to change the release date before your message and I must have changed my mind when I set the release date before as it's already set to Friday, not Wednesday think I decided I liked the number 30 which I guess is as good a theory as any. Thanks to everyone for the sales advice though