Rotation question / suggestion

ZourathZourath Member Posts: 16
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Is there some way to set the focal point for an actor's rotation? I have an actor who's arm is supposed to rotate, but it rotates based on it's center when it should rotate from where the arm meets the body.

Comments

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Hi Zourath. The focal point is only using the center right now. Its on our list of features that we want to do.

The only thing I can suggest is to make the image larger with more transparent area and resize the actor to adjust where the centerpoint is on the actor. The only bad thing with that is that the transparent area can also collide with things.
  • ZourathZourath Member Posts: 16
    Okay, I figured out a bypass for the transparent area problem, but now I need to figure out a way to always have the arm point towards the mouse direction. Rotate to position works, but the arm moves slowly, when it is supposed to constantly point at the mouse pointer.
    You can change the speed of the Rotate to Position behavior.
  • ZourathZourath Member Posts: 16
    Yeah, but it tends to overshoot the direction it is supposed to aim towards and starts going back and forth, but my fix for the transparent area problem is hinged on it stopping. In addition if I rotate my mouse around it fast enough I can screw it up so that it spins constantly. I need a way to use something like constrain attribute, so that it is always aimed correctly. Is this possible currently?
    Ahh. I see what you mean on overshoot.
    We are hoping to add more math functions later so you could use the Constrain Attribute function on the Rotation with a value determined by coordinates. i.e. arcsine, arccosine

Until then, we'll look into making the rotate to position work better.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Any idea when the rotate other than object middle will be coming?