State of GameSalad on 10-30-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited October 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

This week has us being head's down fixing bugs in the nightly builds and churning on some new behaviors. Nothing too terribly exceptional to report. Our build server is stable now and we're finally producing useful nightly builds again. Keep your eyes on the roadmap to see what fixes and updates are coming your way!

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2013
    @CodeWizard

What do you think is a reasonable timeframe (if even only a vague estimate) for the improvements to Creator (in particular features like guides and snap-to-grid and so on) ?
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    @CodeWizard

What do you think is a reasonable timeframe (if even only a vague estimate) for the improvements to Creator (in particular features like guides and snap-to-grid and so on) ?
    +1 would love to know too.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    this looks awesome
    Various Behaviors

@BlackCloakGS has been working on a couple of new behaviors for the nightly builds. One is the social sharing behavior -- allowing you to share information on Facebook, Twitter, etc. The other is a basic vibration control behavior. Keep an eye out for these new behaviors in an upcoming nightly build.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Earlier i heard that basic vibration control behaviour might never make it to GS. Glad to know that its being considered. It'll be such a bliss to have it incorporated.
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    What ever happen to being able to use a custom loading wheel???
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @Wboko I'm gonna take a stab at this.
    "Facebook posting" sounds way more sexy as a feature announcement, than "custom loading icon" so it got pushed back. Kinda like how they started stretch as a UB option and then put it on hold for much "desired" features.

But hey maybe I'm just pissy about stretch still not being here even though we have been begging for it since before over scanning was even made public.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    I guess vibration control is cool.. could be useful for a few things.

Keep it moving :)
    - Thomas
    edited November 2013
    Vibration control is nice - it's nice that it's an actual game making feature addition and not another advertising option, ;) lol ! But there are so many much much more essential tools and fixes that people have been begging to have included for years . . . . !

Vibration is a limited feature, it'll work great on iPhones, but I suspect it won't necessarily translate to other platforms, and it definitely won't work on iPads, not just old first or second generation iPads, but any iPad including the latest iPad Air or the new iPad mini, as they lack a vibration feature, and of course it won't translate to Mac apps either, so a game that relies too heavily on vibration as a feature isn't going to translate very well beyond being an iPhone only app, but regardless it's a great feature and very welcome, just very limited . . . . whereas something like the ability to access a device's microphone, camera, or images store would be a fairly universally applicable feature . . . . or dare I say it, the ability to select two objects at once in Creator and a thousand other desperately need improvements to Creator.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    I don't think I'd ever use vibrate/buzz!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited October 2013
    Favorite comment of the day.. goes to @Socks
    . . . or dare I say it, the ability to select two objects at once in Creator and a thousand other desperately need improvements to Creator.
    As for vibrate, I may not need it in a proper game, but will no doubt feel like God as I set up a two phone vibrating race... hell if we get async multiplayer, two phones can race each other, taking it turns without any human input...... First one to fall off a table and smash its screen is the winner... ... hmm... cogs start whiring in brain.... ding... 'Super Smash Buzzers'..... coming to iphones this Christmas...
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    I'd rather have a triangle collision shape then a vibrate behavior that would be more useful for creating games.
  • RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124
    @CodeWizard - Can you PLEASE make it so that actors that are changing size will properly detect overlap/collide rules? I know that this has been a problem for many people, myself included.
    Favorite comment of the day.. goes to @Socks
    @StormyStudio Cheers big ears ! :)>-
    ...... First one to fall off a table and smash its screen is the winner... ... hmm... cogs start whiring in brain.... ding... 'Super Smash Buzzers'..... coming to iphones this Christmas...
    @StormyStudio

KoffeeTableKamikaze™
    @Wboko I'm gonna take a stab at this.
    "Facebook posting" sounds way more sexy as a feature announcement, than "custom loading icon" so it got pushed back. Kinda like how they started stretch as a UB option and then put it on hold for much "desired" features.

But hey maybe I'm just pissy about stretch still not being here even though we have been begging for it since before over scanning was even made public.
    There is nothing pissy about you at all @tenrdrmer...lol

And the FB thing is cool, but it would be nice to be able to trust and plan with what information is put out being put out to us sheep....

The Loading wheel deal, stretch, and a few other small things are just examples that just seem to fall off the radar with no idea when they will be coming back.

I really like the idea of GS and the games I have been able to build... Just always seems to miss the mark with the trust and planing with the information...

Signed,
    One of the Sheep...Wboko

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @CodeWizard - Can you PLEASE make it so that actors that are changing size will properly detect overlap/collide rules? I know that this has been a problem for many people, myself included.
    OMG this has literally been a bug since GameSalad began. I believe it was 2 years ago they planned to squash that one
    ~X(
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    Great news,
    Was wondering why all these features suddenly make it to the top when 11.0 has been in the coming soon period for months.
    It's great to see new features, but new features mean new bugs and bugs were the reason why 11.0 hasn't been released yet.
    edited November 2013

OMG this has literally been a bug since GameSalad began. I believe it was 2 years ago they planned to squash that one
    ~X(
    @tenrdrmer

The list of bugs that have been in GameSalad for years is depressingly long, in fact the number has only grown. That's why it's a little disappointing to see a new (and like I've said, limited) feature like 'vibrate' appear before some of the things we've been asking to be fixed for years are addressed.

I see your ~X( and raise you ~X( ~X( ~X(
  • BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    "One is the social sharing behavior -- allowing you to share information on Facebook, Twitter, etc"

Good one!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

~X(
    @tenrdrmer

The list of bugs that have been in GameSalad for years is depressingly long, in fact the number has only grown. That's why it's a little disappointing to see a new (and like I've said, limited) feature like 'vibrate' appear before some of the things we've been asking to be fixed for years are addressed.

I see your ~X( and raise you ~X( ~X( ~X(
    I am in broad agreement with you, but this feature was requested a couple of days ago and was in the next day - seems like it was an 'easy implementation' thingy.

So yeah, I have no interest/need for it - but it's an extra thing that took a day or less to get in. Can't hurt, really :)

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

. . . seems like it was an 'easy implementation' thingy . . .
    @quantumsheep

Yeah, agreed, if it's a quick and easy thing to put in place then no harm really, I suppose it was just another opportunity to point out the glacial speed of bug fixes with GameSalad.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    They did say that the loop speed problem should be a quick fix
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    . . . seems like it was an 'easy implementation' thingy . . .
    @quantumsheep

Yeah, agreed, if it's a quick and easy thing to put in place then no harm really, I suppose it was just another opportunity to point out the glacial speed of bug fixes with GameSalad.
    Maybe now that things are in order they are experimenting on some new access to the device API's. Maybe this means bigger things sooner than later like other OS feature access. Maybe.
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    It looks like there is a lot of tidy up work going on from what @CodeWizard posts ... I think once all the tidy up work is complete things will get better and new things/bug fixes will be implemented faster ... From my experience if you have a solid foundation it is easy to build blocks and if your foundation is crap you are just adding to the mess when you add new things ... I can say things are looking better and will only get better ... Cheers ... ;-)
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    Had a read over the roadmap and there's lots of great stuff there, but no mention of custom fonts? Or snap to grid? Any ideas on those?
  • playbackappsplaybackapps Member, PRO Posts: 11
    @CodeWizard

After using other game creation software that is similar to gamesalad in ease of use.. its hard to see why they are yet to introduced basic features such as Grid, snap, multi actor selection, zoom.. etc

I love GS so much.. but please.. can't we make a kickstarter for this to happen.. i'd pay!
    I love GS so much.. but please.. can't we make a kickstarter for this to happen.. i'd pay!
    @playbackapps

I'd pay too.
    Had a read over the roadmap and there's lots of great stuff there, but no mention of custom fonts? Or snap to grid? Any ideas on those?
    Don't worry things seem to just fall off after a small amount of time but at least we can "BUZZ" on the IPhone now... =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    @Wboko create new actor lol, replicate lol 5 times ;)

Anyway dudes and dudettes - people who push the boundaries within bounds are given a great deal of respect.

That is our path to tread. Think of Stephen Crow and Andrew Braybrook and the Stampers. If only we can be like them. A lifelong dream.

Let it begin, let that be the buzz. :D
    @Wboko create new actor lol, replicate lol 5 times ;)
    Nice one @matarua...lol