Problem loading game

JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I added five actors to the screen and gamesalad looked up. I kill the process and even rebooted, but I can not get my game to load. I can load other games (samples). Any help would be great.

Comments

• JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    When I look at the package of my game everything is gone except for my images. Not all that impressed with Gamesalad!!!!! I save my game about every ten minutes, but if it locks up and I looses everything!!!!! This sucks.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    what size are the images? did you follow the power of 2 rule that is mentioned in a couple of recent forum posts?
  • CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
    Moved to Tech Support.

Images having power of 2 dimensions shouldn't be relevant to this problem. What are your system specs? Can you be more specific about what exactly you are doing so we can try to recreate the issue?
    I added six outside walls to a maze scene. I then hit the preview and got a white screen. No matter what I hit it did nothing. I closed Gamesalad and reopened it. It did the same thing when I tried to open my game. I could open other games. The walls sizes that I add was 1024X50, 50 X 900, 50 X 120, 1024 X 50, 50 X100, 50 X 900.

I did a "show package contents" on the application and the only thing in any of the folders was my images used for the game.

My Mac is running version 10.5.7, processor is 2 ghz, and memory is 3gb.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Are your images of any dimensions greater than 2048 or 1024? Or not 72dpi?
    Or were the actors blank without images?
    (Not sure if you mean that the wall sizes that you added were the sizes of the images.)
    Did the actors have any behaviors in them?

Intel based processor?
    The walls all came from the same actor. The actor was assigned to an image that was sized 50 X 50. I drop them on the scene then stretched them. I do not know if they are 72dpi, but I can check.

Mac mini with a 2ghz intel core 2 duo.
    OK, I started over and it happened to me again. I go to run a scene and it looks up. I wait a minute or two then I close Gamesalad and reopen it. Everything is gone AGAIN except for my images. I made a backup copy of my project about 15 minutes before, so I only lost 15 minutes of my time. Not sure how stable this software is. I may be doing something wrong, but it should not wipe out everything...
    I think I found the problem... If I add an rule to my game from some other game (sample code) by pasting it, then it crashes.
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    oh i have made the same mistake and have tried to drag actors from one game to another...
    after doing that my game was a little corrupted...

Hmmm and i have tried to use two different wacom boards to navigate through GS... but somehow things are going wrong... actors disappers and stuff like that... don't try this ;))
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    Hi James. If you're copying an pasting between projects, there might be a reference to a non-existent attribute or actor which could cause the problems you're seeing.
    I think this would be a great feature to have. I would think that it should not allow me to do this, or at least not corrupt my project. I could not recover any of it.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Ideally there'd be a 'plug and play' feature where you can create 'modules' as seperate projects, but then import them into your main game.

This would be useful in that you can work on a particular feature away from your crowded game, and import it once it's working.

Additionally, it could help in setting up presets. Say you have a d-pad written up as a module, or a high score system. You'd only have to write these once, and then you could import them into your game.

And on top of that, with the new web feature of being able to share and download other people's projects, you could theoretically download a project and install it into your game.

All a pipe dream my end of course, but you never know ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    James maybe implement a backup strategy too, set your Mac's Time Machine to backup every half hour or save incremental versions on your HD. You can always go back a step if everything goes pear shaped. Which is often when I try something new!

If you have a spare HD or an old iPod you don't use anymore these are perfect for the job.

It's saved me countless hours of development time.
    Agreed Toby!

I save every time I add something new. It's become a habit - and I increment the saves just in case.

I backup to an external hardrive every night. I mean EVERYTHING. I've heard horror stories of people losing months of work, and I just wouldn't have the heart to go on with my games if I had to start from scratch!

QS :)

• JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Supposedly the My Behaviours folder allows you to carry your rule sets between games. I haven't been able to do that yet though. It seems to save only for that game. However, you can always go into the actual .gameproj & pull out the behaviours & put them in the new one like it was in the old one.

Anyone know how to share these between games? I recall seeing on the wiki it was possible... But maybe that was the day I was licking frogs....who knows..
  • Fafnir312Fafnir312 Member Posts: 161
    Ack! I just made the mistake of dragging a rule with behaviors from one game into another. Now my project won't open. I get a blank screen. I assume I can delete the offending behavior somewhere in the package contents but I haven't found it yet. Anyone know how to fix a corrupted game file?
  • Fafnir312Fafnir312 Member Posts: 161
    Hmmm... I see my scene .xml files have been deleted.

It's horrible..... I have to redo EVERYTHING... sigh... Well, I won't be making that mistake again.

Perhaps I can copy behaviors into the new file...

Yes, copying worked. Whew! I had a lot of sensitively tweaked behaviors - as in .01 made a big difference :P But I'm back where I was before the crash.
    Good to hear :D

• rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    Since I'm barely learning, this happened to me several times...good thing for me it was just test samples...I used several 'snippets' from the templates that come in game salad...now I know what I should not be doing.

I think we all tend to 'drag&drop' from other samples to help us save time and maybe cuz the wiki doesn't have a lot of tutorials or videos that we can see and followed (wink, wink ;)