You can find a list of functions in the Expression Editor, under the Functions tab??????? where is?

appgameplayappgameplay Member Posts: 33
edited November 2013 in Working with GS (PC)
There is no tab ( i am using the windows game maker or whatever you call it). .. This is what I am reading in the Gamesalad manual.

When this actor
is place
d into a scene and that
scene is previewed using Play, it will now display the
amount
of time that the project ha
s been running for to the tenths
decimal place.
You might ask And
how is that helpful?

Take a moment and create the above logic in an actor
, without using the precision function (only use
game.time in the display field
, which is found under Attributes > Game > Time Now, d
rag that actor into
the scene
and press play. Notice how the number representing the time keeps changing position slightly? Thats because
the displayed texted is constantly
realigning
itself based on how manydecimal places it needs to use (4.5seconds uses less space than10.235 seconds).

Comments

• appgameplayappgameplay Member Posts: 33
    , without using the precision function (only use game.time in the display field which is found under Attributes > Game > Time

only use game.time? what and where is game.time ? and what is found under attributes??
    ok i see game time. it says drag it on screen, and press play. I already dragged my character on the screen and press play. there is no ticker or clock. how do i get to the functions panel, in this. I am using a windows.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    what are you trying to display?

game.time is the length of seconds the game has been running. the "Time" the game has been running.
    Theres a behaviors button but no expressions button
    edited November 2013
    this is what i don't see....... i dont get this part. (of the user manual)

, without using the precision function (only use game.time in the display field which is found under Attributes > Game > Time). Now, drag that ac-tor intothe sceneand press play. Notice how the number representing the time keeps changing position slightly?
    Display text, press on the expression-button, navigate to Game > Time..
    .... i still cant find it. im looking everywhere

what are you trying to display?

game.time is the length of seconds the game has been running. the "Time" the game has been running.
    i guess i am trying to see the game time. i cant see it. dont know where to find it. when i press play, there is no timer.

What exactly? Make a new actor, drag the display text behavior into the prototype, press the expressions button of the display text behavior, open the dropdown menu and navigate to Game > Time. Drag the actor onto your scene and voila.
    ok i got the first part done. Now where is the expressions button of my display text behavior?
    ok i found the expressions, excellent. but my actor is already on the scene... and i pressed play. there is no game clock or time or count.
    You are awesome. I dont know how you knew my actor was not the prototype anymore lol. how did you figure. how did I not make it prototype. your like neo from matrix man. lol
    Probably because your actor on the scene is not the prototype anymore. Double-click on the actor on the scene and click the button "Revert to prototype" (not "Edit prototype").
    i dont know how your notified of this post or how you can see my text, so i quoted u just in case

you are awesome. I dont know how you knew my actor was not the prototype anymore lol. how did you figure. how did I not make it prototype. your like neo from matrix man. lol

ohh... my instance was unlocked the whole time. is that why ? lol
  • Game1Game1 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I am having trouble with the who game.time deal too. I added an actor. I dragged display text to the Prototype. When I drag it over, the display text says Hello World!. Should I delete this? I going under the expression and under Attributes I press game, then time. Then I make sure this is under just Prototype and I press play under the stage screen. All is shows is a background of black and then a small white box in it that. Any help would be great.
  • Game1Game1 Member Posts: 2
    And my actor instance is still locked.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2014
    Ok, I am having trouble with the who game.time deal too. I added an actor. I dragged display text to the Prototype. When I drag it over, the display text says Hello World!. Should I delete this? I going under the expression and under Attributes I press game, then time. Then I make sure this is under just Prototype and I press play under the stage screen. All is shows is a background of black and then a small white box in it that. Any help would be great.
    @Game1 Try changing the the text color of the DisplayText behavior to something other than white.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User