State of GameSalad 11-20-2013

2»

Comments

• brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    Can @codewizard please answer the async question?
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    I am just waiting for a stable release, too many new features get bumped up first. Hopefully by Jan they will release. Keep up great work.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    I see Tizen is now in the publishing portal. I think thats good news, means you guys can start working on something else now. =D>
  • zypp1zypp1 Member Posts: 142
    Any idea on searchable tables ???????

great work tho ;)
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    @codewizard Please?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited November 2013
    We're currently using a third party called Playstogether (http://playstogether.com/) for async multiplayer support. The integration is done for months and we've been waiting on a legal agreement. We've recently decided to forego that agreement and push this out into nightly builds.

We're also looking into integrating with another third party for similar features. So you'll have a choice of async multiplayer provider.

We're currently not considering GameCenter because of its lack of cross-platform support. But that could change in the future.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    @CodeWizard will we have access to all of the features of Playstogether? Chatrooms, profiles, Facebook friends, Leaderboards, Achievements, Analytics, and all of the other things the site mentions in the API documents?
    Initial integration is only for async multiplayer. Other features could come on line in the future.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited November 2013
    Initial integration is only for async multiplayer. Other features could come on line in the future.

One more thing to take time away from other things like. Changing the Oil and replacing the filters and removing the rust.

Im refering to adding other features from playstogether. Instead of focusing that time on other roadmap issues.
    Yup. We're focusing on the right things from where I'm sitting @FINNBOGG. Keep an eye on us though to make sure. :D
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited November 2013
    I wasn't actually asking for any of those features as I haven't got a multiplayer game in mind, was just interested in seeing how dumbed down it was going to be.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    We're currently using a third party called Playstogether (http://playstogether.com/) for async multiplayer support.
    Wow, $199 a month for pro? Yeah, that doesn't seem appealing to me. I can run my own server for less than that. I wouldn't have to worry if "100 k pushes" is enough either.
    We're currently not considering GameCenter because of its lack of cross-platform support. But that could change in the future.
    That's horrible news.

At least there's this... http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/61966/attach-your-gamesalad-with-your-own-server ...so I could theoretically work around this issue by building my own system. And there's huge incentive to do so, as I could sell/rent the system I create.

@CodeWizard, don't you have a networking background with NCSoft or something like that? I don't see the sense in going third-party.

Eh, this is a bit disappointing, but not as annoying as the Metrics Gathering. I'm still watching you GameSalad, you've still got great potential! But right now, my project is sitting on the sidelines.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Hmm so this is a feature that will potentially cost more money? Sure they have a free option but if the game takes off well be looking to drop more cash hopfully before the limits are reached and our shiny new popular game has server issues... Oh yippee.

Can we please get the stretch feature finished so I can stop messing with workarounds a for my existing project?

@codewizard I have yet to see a comment in why stretch is not even on the roadmap...
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Can we please get the stretch feature finished so I can stop messing with workarounds a for my existing project?

@codewizard I have yet to see a comment in why stretch is not even on the roadmap...
    What he said ... One more for stretch please ... ;-)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    We're currently using a third party called Playstogether (http://playstogether.com/) for async multiplayer support.

We're also looking into integrating with another third party for similar features. So you'll have a choice of async multiplayer provider.
    Choice is good! I'm not interested in multiplayer because it's a third party thingy and there's talk of servers and stuff like that.

Game Center would fix those worries and actually get me interested in making a multiplayer game of some sort.

Here's an idea - give us the *choice* to use GameCenter or not.

I'm sure most people would LOVE to have GameCenter as the multiplayer client, as opposed to some third party that we (and potentially our players) have never heard of and therefore don't trust.

I have no interest whatsoever in making a multiplayer game cross platform right now. Any turn based games I play on my phone are vs other people on the same ecosystem (i.e. iOS through Game Center)

I understand, sadly, that this must be a business decision though. Because the only GOOD reason to not give us Game Center is that we'd all choose to use that over any third party provider.

And that's a bit sad really :(

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Member, PRO Posts: 214
    Tizen ready yet @codewizard ?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited November 2013
    Who didn't expect this would cost money? Everything is not cheap or free. I know the hate mail will pour in but being in business costs money. When you do anything as a hobby it has limitations but if you do stuff as a business then investment and overhead should be expected. I have no problem paying that price for server space. Most of us here have little to no overhead to make games. This is the cost of moving to the next level. I have no desire to build and monitor my own server. It's cheaper time wise to outsource it. I'm sure GS negotiated a bulk rate of some sort.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Road map hasn't excited me for some time now :(

Simple finishes that would make the tool more useful are always being overlooked! All resources seem to be put into some 3rd party integration that generally never lasts anyway!

@CodeWizard When is the stretch feature on publishing going to be finished?
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    Just got back onto GameSalad again after a LONG break (made a few apps in Xcode #:-S) and I'm REALLY happy to see all of the improvements @CodeWizard ! Keep it up! ;)
  • dandetodandeto Member Posts: 23
    I am getting out my first version of my app for free, because I think it will interest people in my series. Then I will start selling. No adds I rely don't want to get into them for right now,

Do you have to be a Major to legally put out an app???
    I am a minor.
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited November 2013
    We're currently using a third party called Playstogether (http://playstogether.com/) for async multiplayer support. The integration is done for months and we've been waiting on a legal agreement. We've recently decided to forego that agreement and push this out into nightly builds.

@CodeWizard I have to say I'm bummed, but hopeful with your last statement. If you've got a choice for those who want to publish to multiple platforms already, why limit the options for those who don't? All I want is to publish my game with apple (at the moment) because I literally cannot test on any other device. GameCenter just makes so much sense to have. For those who want their app to have more exposure across different platforms, they should definitely want to go with the other. That exposure could be incredible. But it would be even more incredible if you implemented them all and then just let us decide for ourselves. To me that's just the logical route as a consumer.

GameCenter implements profiles, achievements, friends, and opens up multiplayer to more people which garners more potential buyers. It's such a win for apple devs. It also looks more official on the app because people expect to see it welcome you to GameCenter, and you don't have to setup another account.

Sometimes when you go over your revenue as a company and decide on what's best for the company, or at least what it seems like what's best on paper, it actually ends up hurting your product which costs potential customers.

Put the customer first and you should be golden. Lists of things a product can't do are all too common these days. To me the goal should be to not have anything on the list of can't.

I really hope it does change, and in the near future. As my app will also be sitting on the back burner.

(GameCenter integration should be a selling point on the front page for your product if you ask me.)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited November 2013
    What I keep reading from people is what "I" want. GS has tens of thousands of users most of whom never post on the forum. To suppose you speak and or can gauge what those people want is a wrong assumption. GS needs to do what's viable for the majority of their user base not a few, even if that few is a couple thousand. To quote the Rolling Stones "You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need."
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to support all the async providers! But first we're going to integrate those that work on multiple platforms. Then we can circle back and review the platform specific ones.
  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    One other thing that I think may be being missed in the discussion over Playstogether's terms and how their MP works is that the behaviors being rolled out to support PT can also be used to send and receive data to ANY server via HTTP.

The functionality this will open up should be pretty substantial. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    One other thing that I think may be being missed in the discussion over Playstogether's terms and how their MP works is that the behaviors being rolled out to support PT can also be used to send and receive data to ANY server via HTTP.

The functionality this will open up should be pretty substantial. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
    I for one was very happy to hear this news and I have a few client projects on hold until sending and receiving HTTP data is available, thanks guys, I can't wait to dig into this one. Now all I need is custom fonts and I'm ready to take over the world!! >:)
  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    You and me both @EireStudios ;) All kinds of ideas for cool stuff I could do with the ability to pull down data from another server :)

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com