State of GameSalad on 11-27-2013

2»

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Forth COPPA compliance build for education market.
    I'm still confused about this. Where does the Education market acquire this version of GameSalad? I looked online...

This...
    http://gamesalad.com/education/license

Leads to this...
    http://www.studica.com/us/en/gamesalad-creator-pro.html

But I was told that's not it. Is there a third version of GameSalad? How does one acquire this version of GameSalad? Can any University license this version for their own app projects, or is it specifically for classroom use only?

Also, it was suggested by @dgackey (http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/61690/state-of-gamesalad-on-11-13-2013) that the regular Pro version of GameSalad could use testing. What does that mean exactly? Is an NDA required?
    I didn't really see it as an exception for you so much as a great way to help us test a feature you've championed for a long time, but I respect where you're coming from.
    And in general, I don't see the problem with Tizen support. While I'm not a fan of the multiplayer solution, Tizen looks like a good move. I'm not quite sure what I'd use it for right now, but I'm sensing great potential. I'm moving more towards HTML5 and Linux with my projects, so it seems cool that GameSalad is doing the same.

So, to sum up my current feelings about the latest issues with GameSalad...

• Metrics Gathering is bad for my projects
    • I'm not a fan of Play Together. I think this should be in addition to Game Center support
    • Tizen looks interesting

...and it's nice to see these weekly updates. That is a dramatic improvement from the way things were two years ago. Things look choppy right now, but it looks like GameSalad is turning in the right direction.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    As always, I'll counsel patience. Now that Tizen is out the door that frees up another engineer to help with engine work. Yay!

Right now we're waiting on web publishing work to be complete before we can release Chartboost & Revmob to you in a usable way for Pros. That and it's in nightly builds which are still being tested and debugged.

We will release those features in the next nightly build. Then we'll update web publishing to support entering your API keys and whatnot. We're working hard on this but it's not likely to be ready in the next week. We'll see though!
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    @BlackCloakGS and @CodeWizard Thanks for the updates and the hard work ... These updates are great ... It looks like progress is happening and in the right direction ... I can understand the frustration of some users but things take time ... It is better to wait and get a stable product than get an unstable product then have complaints about bugs ... I am glad to see the virus issues will be sorted and that stretch will be here as this will make life easier with universal builds on all platforms since I heard there will be a new iPad with a bigger screen coming out at some stage. Stretch will be handy as my guess is the current Apple universal apps will not run properly on it ... Also we can be part of Developer Select on Amazon without having to upload multiple APKs using the stretch feature ... Cheers guys and keep up the good work ...
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    When Samsung breaks off from android and goes with tizen which is their OS you'll see the value as Samsung is one of the largest cellphone makers.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I don't think they will drop android. Tizen looks more like an os they plan to push on cheaper devices in Asia.
  • vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322
    I disagree with that statement tenrdrmer. I think Samsung realized that Android has a huge potential downside in the event that Apple continue to win their legal battles. I also think that Samsung don't want to be stuck with an operating system they can't control. I believe Tizen is open-source, so maybe it makes no difference... Still, Apple benefits greatly from owning their own OS and the hardware at the same time. I think Samsung want to distance themselves from Android and perhaps the plan is to launch cheap phones in Asia to gain marketshare like you write, but the long term plan must be to switch their high-end phones over as well if Tizen takes off.
  • PPenguinPPenguin Member, PRO Posts: 110
    Tizen

Samsung paid us $18,000 to port some apps over.

The #1 phone manufacturer in the world, want to leave android.

That is a big deal.

For now I wait, gamesalad without AD support is not useful to me. (Excluding apple)

But, I am sure it will get there.
  • eliteappseliteapps Member, PRO Posts: 47

There is no need to wait for RevMob and Chartboost, you can easily create your own revenue stream similar to RevMob and Chartboost using URL hyperlinks. Check out the videos at http://www.apprushacademy.com. A bunch of us are making some serious money right now using our own affiliate links and it keeps growing as the Holidays are approaching...

Don't get frustrated... you need to use other ways to monetize your apps while you wait :)

I'm trying to find the video about setting up the affiliate network links and the best ones to use but I cannot seem to find that one.
  • FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    @eliteapps Stop Spamming!
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    NEED:

"Play Sound with support for using an Expression (such as a table cell value) to select the name of the Sound to play."

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited December 2013
    Thanks GS for the update...

Looking forward to seeing how dirty you can get with multiple players....

Hmm... that does'nt sound right.

Anyway... I'm kinda sitting back and waiting to see how the mulitplayer setup is going to work and what we can and can't do from the start.

Also if its being implemented without contracts in place is there any danger of us releasing games which make use of the multiplayer setup and the functionality being stopped by the 3rd party.

Not really expecting an answer but throwing it out there just incase.

Back to looking at my other projects... I'm in need of a large cup of motivation to keep me going... can I open tomorrows advent calendar door yet?...

I'll check back in tomorrow to see if there's any new the GS news.
  • lebiscuitlebiscuit Member, PRO Posts: 220
    Now that Tizen is out the door that frees up another engineer to help with engine work.
    cool cool cool !
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/0203205f64326e430de0daccb8e983b7/tumblr_mseo1mDSS71s938rio1_500.gif
  • eliteappseliteapps Member, PRO Posts: 47
    I'm asking for an answer to a post on this thread. That isn't spamming so maybe in future you should do better research before you accuse someone of spamming.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    edited December 2013
    I'm asking for an answer to a post on this thread. That isn't spamming so maybe in future you should do better research before you accuse someone of spamming.

There is no need to wait for RevMob and Chartboost, you can easily create your own revenue stream similar to RevMob and Chartboost using URL hyperlinks. Check out the videos at http://www.apprushacademy.com. A bunch of us are making some serious money right now using our own affiliate links and it keeps growing as the Holidays are approaching...

I'm not trying to get on your case, but that sure looks like you're goal is to promote that site. If it's not spam, perhaps you should word it differently...

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited December 2013
    @RockitGames an @Braydon_SFX. @eliteapps was referring to a post on the previous page by @jdgould. He didn't use a quote hence the misunderstanding and still didn't clear it up in his next post.
    and as for Remob and Chartboost the code is in and we will get it to you soon no ETA.
    See that is what I find frustrating. You say right there that you have the code in. You guys admit to us needing a new ad networks since the GS higher ups fu**ed up with putting in Mobclix when it was already standing on a thin wire.

So instead you guys let it sit there collecting dust while many of us want to integrate these ads in time for the holidays. When you say no ETA I hear sometime months from now. Atleast that is what GS has meant when they say that in the past.

I get that you guys can't always stick to your ETA. That is fine. !@#$% happens, but us sitting in the dark waiting with no idea when something is coming is far more annoying in my opinion. If you guys have to go over a given ETA fine. Just be outright with it and give us notice before your assumed ETA. Usually you get the uproar when you give an ETA, pass the ETA, and make no mention of it or where it is. Just be forthcoming.

(Perfect example of above is Stretch. You have given ETAs before. You pass the ETAs then make no mention of it. People bring it up... you just skip over their posts and ignore it as long as possible.... THAT is what pisses people off. Not the missing your ETA. And yes you were a bit more forward with the stretch finally in the above post.)

Get the ad networks in our hands please. The holidays are fast approaching and we have little more than a week to get these games submitted with them.

Don't get frustrated... you need to use other ways to monetize your apps while you wait :)
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    @RockitGames an @Braydon_SFX. @eliteapps was referring to a post on the previous page by @jdgould. He didn't use a quote hence the misunderstanding and still didn't clear it up in his next post.
    and as for Remob and Chartboost the code is in and we will get it to you soon no ETA.
    See that is what I find frustrating. You say right there that you have the code in. You guys admit to us needing a new ad networks since the GS higher ups fu**ed up with putting in Mobclix when it was already standing on a thin wire.

So instead you guys let it sit there collecting dust while many of us want to integrate these ads in time for the holidays. When you say no ETA I hear sometime months from now. Atleast that is what GS has meant when they say that in the past.

I get that you guys can't always stick to your ETA. That is fine. !@#$% happens, but us sitting in the dark waiting with no idea when something is coming is far more annoying in my opinion. If you guys have to go over a given ETA fine. Just be outright with it and give us notice before your assumed ETA. Usually you get the uproar when you give an ETA, pass the ETA, and make no mention of it or where it is. Just be forthcoming.

(Perfect example of above is Stretch. You have given ETAs before. You pass the ETAs then make no mention of it. People bring it up... you just skip over their posts and ignore it as long as possible.... THAT is what pisses people off. Not the missing your ETA. And yes you were a bit more forward with the stretch finally in the above post.)

Get the ad networks in our hands please. The holidays are fast approaching and we have little more than a week to get these games submitted with them.

Gotcha. Thanks for pointing that out. Make sure you use a quote next time mate! :D
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    edited December 2013
    Is custom fonts on the radar? It's not on the roadmap...

When designing a game - even though I am a designer and a typographer as part of my job - I don't see why we should have Arial - Helvetica - Helvetica - all Roman/Regular weights - very similar - full unicode support - it seems like a double up.

Add Helvetica Neue Bold, and also add Helvetica Neue Light if possible.

Those additions would really help with our design choices particularly with iOS7.

Another channel is the Google free fonts - there is a great selection there too.

Then we look at gaming - it is probably the one area that really relies on a custom font to get the brand message across.

I can see in the creator where we have Behaviors | Images | Sounds that we could have another one called Fonts.

We would have the standard ones we could use - plus an area for custom uploads.

This would be a massive win in terms of game polish and brand quality - something even the big game companies are struggling with at the moment when it comes to dynamic text.

What this would also mean, in an experimental benefit way, is fonts could be used as artwork in the game with the display text attribute.

@Socks has touched and demoed the use of Unicode characters and that opens up ideas for custom fonts.

I have the feeling these changes are creator focussed and as development moves back towards that in the future are we going to see 'the features you need/want' features addressed?

Cheers, M@
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @matarua
    @Socks has touched and demoed the use of Unicode characters and that opens up ideas for custom fonts.
    I don't think Unicode helps us move towards custom fonts in any way, you're not able to access or customise them in any way.

+ 1 custom fonts, it's something that's been requested for a long time, disappointing to see zero progress on that front.
    I don't think Unicode helps us move towards custom fonts in any way, you're not able to access or customise them in any way
    All I was saying was you had looked at what you can do - bouncing that ball was cool - but imagine you had a car driving and you wanted to animate the tyres, put the tyres in there as 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and get it to spit out display text of self.time to decimal point you want to animate too. :> broom broom

I know Unicode doesn't help us move forward but your scientific research is awesome and was just inspiring me with some random ideas. 8-X

Cheers, M@
    I know Unicode doesn't help us move forward but your scientific research is awesome and was just inspiring me with some random ideas. 8-X
    :)) :D Lol.
    . . . put the tyres in there as 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and get it to spit out display text of self.time to decimal point you want to animate too. :> broom broom
    You can do this already.

Image sequence names > [ . . . . tyre21 - tyre22 - tyre23 - tyre24 - tyre25 . . . . etc]

Constrain self.Image to "tyre"..self.time

Use "tyre"..self.time%50 to loop the sequence.
    edited December 2013
    @Socks I have seen that yep - it's cool - how's loading images with this method? One of the biggest game framerate hogs in GameSalad is loading in images. Found that out the hard way.

Still not 100% happy with smoothness on my mini-game animation sequence - it's a 320 x 320 (640 x 640) animation which totals over 100MB in memory once loaded it's 27 frames.

I have to place the actor on stage and then animate it at certain times. With a lot of optimisation I have it doing what I want but it's not smooth like silk, or butter, or baby rabbit fur.

If I place all the images on stage and then use your method would that solve any loading issues that GameSalad has loading things in to memory?

Thanks m'man, cheers, M@
    edited December 2013
    @matarua
    @Socks I have seen that yep - it's cool - how's loading images with this method?
    Same as any other method, if the images are already in the scene then there is no loading time when it comes to this sort of thing.

Cheap trick: Drag all your sequence elements into an Animation Behaviour, don't worry about the order, set the Animation Behaviour's frame rate to 0 fps, drag the actor with the Animation Behaviour onto the scene somewhere (preferably off camera - or make it invisible, you don't need to see it) - when the scene starts the Animation Behaviour will force all those images to be loaded into RAM - destroy this actor after a second or two.
    Still not 100% happy with smoothness on my mini-game animation sequence - it's a 320 x 320 (640 x 640) animation which totals over 100MB in memory once loaded it's 27 frames.
    (Assuming your target device is iOS) 640 x 640 pixel images are in fact . . as far as the target device is concerned . . . 1024 x 1024 pixel images !

Reduce your 640 x 640 images to 512 x 512 and you will instantly slice 75% off the work the iOS device is doing when it comes to juggling those frames.
    If I place all the images on stage and then use your method would that solve any loading issues that GameSalad has loading things in to memory?
    Personally I never use that method, but preloading images, however you do it, will get rid of any slight lag as GS loads the images into RAM.
    @Socks great tips thanks - I know how the memory usage on images works - then got slapped in the face with that in this project early on.

Cheap Trick - gold. Thanks :)

And I am unfortunately not happy with any pixel scaling - so reducing the images down is not an option - I do realise I am on the cusp which kind of sucks. :(

It's working well - just not perfect - so will try this method out.

Cheers, M@
  • FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822

@eliteapps okay then, sorry for the misunderstanding :D
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    I'll update the roadmap soon. Thanks for reading and, if you celebrate it, happy Thanksgiving! :D
    The roadmap could do with an update ;)