ILuvGameSalad magazine

eliteappseliteapps Member, PRO Posts: 47
Hi,

I see that back in October 2011 someone else had a similar idea to develop a community based monthly magazine for GameSalad. As far as I'm able to tell this was never completed. I'm now in the process of developing a magazine called ILuvGameSalad for release in January 2014. Clearly for this to be a success I need contributors to the magazine especially if I going to make this free or a low cost of less than $5 per month.

The magazine will be published for iPad, Kindle, and Android tablet as a newsstand magazine. The first issue will be free and then it will be decided after that whether I can keep this as free or not and need to make a small charge to cover costs of producing the magazine.

Currently I would like to offer reviews of games, feature the best games, articles, tutorials and much more so at this time I'm looking for the following:

1. Authors to write articles on topics of general interest to GameSalad developers
2. Those willing to make reviews of games and write an article about this
3. Game authors that would like to submit a press release of recently released games and templates
4. Authors to write a regular monthly tutorial
5. Authors who have already made video tutorials and who like to give us permission to include these tutorials or links to them in the magazine
6. Artists who are willing to contribute some free graphics for the magazine content and design (attribution will be given)
7. Technical gurus who are willing to answer readers questions on a monthly basis
8. Anyone else who has ideas about any contribution that they can make
9. Ideas about anything else we could or should include in the magazine
10. Advertisers in the magazine (in many cases those contributing content will receive free advertising or a link to their site)

Feel free to PM me or leave a message here.

Jonathan Hamon

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    One thing I find that might be a nice feature is that as I make games I'll run up against little problems that I find a solution to but aren't worth a tutorial in themselves. These are things that have probably been asked and answered on the forums, but a "mini-tutorial" might be a good idea. Some examples might be:

* Creating a toggle button
    * Making something fade in and out repeatedly
    * Spawn new actors (e.g. a score notification) next to another actor but always within the screen boundaries
    * Spawn an actor in a random location, but excluding a certain portion of the screen

Perhaps each month have a couple of pages of these "mini-tutorials".

On a side note, I'd certainly consider providing contributions to a free magazine, but wouldn't want to do so to a paid one.

Also I think the idea is great but the name is meh :(
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2013
    Nice idea, but like Armelline said the name is a little bit . . . . ► 8-X
  • eliteappseliteapps Member, PRO Posts: 47
    One thing I find that might be a nice feature is that as I make games I'll run up against little problems that I find a solution to but aren't worth a tutorial in themselves. These are things that have probably been asked and answered on the forums, but a "mini-tutorial" might be a good idea. Some examples might be:

* Creating a toggle button
    * Making something fade in and out repeatedly
    * Spawn new actors (e.g. a score notification) next to another actor but always within the screen boundaries
    * Spawn an actor in a random location, but excluding a certain portion of the screen

Perhaps each month have a couple of pages of these "mini-tutorials".

On a side note, I'd certainly consider providing contributions to a free magazine, but wouldn't want to do so to a paid one.

Also I think the idea is great but the name is meh :(
    Thanks for your reply. I think what most people don't realise, that depending what platform you use $299 per month per issue is fairly typical just for the magazine platform and often that includes just iPad.

Feel free to suggest alternative names for the magazine as well.

Thanks for your reply. I think what most people don't realise, that depending what platform you use $299 per month per issue is fairly typical just for the magazine platform and often that includes just iPad.
    I did not realise that. I'd be fascinated to see how they could cram $299 worth of content into a single magazine. I image they pay their contributors a fair whack for a magazine like that.

And I'm a deeply boring person so I'd call it something like "Gamesalad Monthly" or "GameSalad Bar" or something terribad.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    I like the idea, i'd be willing to contribute. I'm on the road now but will read and respond more later. :)
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited December 2013
    Are you seeded tightly with the offices of GS, current with industry trends, experienced not only in GS but other SDKs and OSes? If not you may as well start a iluvsmesomegamesaladz blog, because even with all that, it's bloggable. Don't expect to see people shelling out $ when the meat of the populace you are proposing this to already know where to get their news and data. Also the digital form is LIVE. That's why we have to keep up with these threads to find out what is going on, on a DAILY if not hourly basis. Monthly? Say what?

• eliteappseliteapps Member, PRO Posts: 47

I did not realise that. I'd be fascinated to see how they could cram $299 worth of content into a single magazine. I image they pay their contributors a fair whack for a magazine like that.

And I'm a deeply boring person so I'd call it something like "Gamesalad Monthly" or "GameSalad Bar" or something terribad.

I was talking about the cost of the magazine platform to be able to publish a magazine. Here is an example of one just for iPad at $297 per month http://www.magcasting.co/

I like the GameSalad Bar name. Thanks
  • Team6LabsTeam6Labs Member Posts: 541
    Hate to break it to you but you are wasting your time. Nobody would pay for a magazine about GameSalad. Not enough people use GameSalad to make money. If you made a magazine about all game engines, that would be interesting.
    I disagree that there isn't a place for a GameSalad magazine. Sure there are day to day changes, but there's plenty of stuff @EliteApps has suggested to fill a monthly magazine.

Perhaps something like http://www.issuu.com as a portal for it?