Buying an incomplete template....very discouraging.

Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
I bought the Stupid Pixels template...although it will allow levels to be unlocked during the single game play...if you play the next day you have to start all over. I really wish when you watch a video and are under the impression that you get what is said...that you indeed get that...$35 is $35 bucks...and I don't like wasting it. I was so excited to start building levels...and now Im about to ditch this template and call GS quits. I just don't know how to make games like the pro do here at GS...I buy them to expand on and kern...I don't seem to be learning anything other than how to give people money without knowing what Im getting......so I bought a few templates...Havent found a single template that is complete...yes I know its a template...I personally feel they should be at least a complete one before they are put up for sale...its not like the free templates all over the forums with a few tid bits of goodies...these are pay for templates...I put in a ticket to the seller...Stormy Studios...although he responded quickly...He thinks Im talking about paper toss..I don't know if he understands what templates he sells.

Has anyone else bought this template and have a hint or so to help me just do this one thing...so I can have some fun building a game for once.

Thank you

Comments

• GNPGNP Member Posts: 18
    i agree with you..coming from a guy that create templates myself i try my best to give tutorial on the templates i sell to help other developers because i know most of the time when developers buy templates its because they are still learning how the attributes and things work...i do updates on my templates and sometimes give free download to the people that purchased them if i added more things to a template thats cud be useful to them. one of my templates i do constant updates on is "plants & aliens" a plants vs zombies style template....but in your case i might be wrong but it seem like a loading and saving attribute just might solve that problem..i learned alot on gamesalad from youtube years ago
  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    @gnp thanks for "backing me up". I was afraid this would be thought of as a rant....I appreciate your "continuous updating" of templates you may be providing...you nailed it when you said templates may be mainly for people learning...and I understand at least that I'm suppose to save and load attributes...however...with this particular template I don't know what attribute I'm suppose to be saving and loading. It's not a number...because there are no scoring system...yet....it's levels and worlds as they become "unlocked".

I'll be sure to sift throughout the YouTube cookbook one more time....didn't see what I was looking for last time, but I'm not totally sure what I am to be looking for...I'll start with the save and load attributes videos if I find one there...thanks again.
  • mail@jr75.commail@jr75.com Member Posts: 3
    Very few of the templates are complete games ready to be submitted.

Most people name their attributes accordingly, such as "LevelUnlocked" or something similar.
    Look at the end of a level for a ChangeAttribute that is like, "if level complete / change LevelUnlocked to LevelUnlocked+1" or something similar.

That attribute is the one you need to save. Save it right on that scene and add a LoadAttribute to your opening scene.

Just take a while to watch some tutorials and before you know it, you'll be happy that the templates aren't complete since you will prefer to build on them your own way.
    Thank you. I would delete this thread if I had the option of a user. The issue has been resolved. StormyStudio made a short but very informative video tutorial for this template. I appreciate that of him. However my original point was that in this particular template. Some help I recieved showed me there is only one place to put the save attribute to unloacj the levels. I "felt" that should have been included. I never expect a template to be a full game. I realize thats exactly what they are. Thanks for your response. :)
  • j75j75 Member, PRO Posts: 235
    I am new to all of this and the first template I bought pissed me off too :-)
    I remember figuring out the level unlocking for the first time thanks to all of the Youtube tutorials. Good stuff.

Glad you got it sorted out!
  • gswondergswonder Member, PRO Posts: 14
    edited June 2014

Try full games templates ready to edit and transform, you may like this video
    [links removed by moderator]

TEMPLATES mydgs.co/gswonder TEMPLATES

Pro members should have a little more grace to do certain things. @mydgs.co/gswonder‌ can you PM me the link to a harmless video?
    Thanks. This doesnt mean spam me :-). Just interested in seeing information given in my own thread discussion.

• Blo0PBlo0P Member Posts: 17

5 Full GameSalad Source Code for Just £15 or 25$ ==> http://www.deepbluemarket.com/product/value-bundle-pack-5-games/
    Don't Miss...!! Thank You..! :)
    it's All Full Game with no Fault : Try this games on Appstore and Buy ===>

Space Xscape
    Bounce Gravity
    Racing Rash
    Balloon City Rider
    Zombie Fighter

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989

Only just seen this thread... some 5 months later as I don't think it pops up i the main feed if its in this section.

Glad I was able to resolve it by making you a little tutorial video.

Just incase anyone comes across this thread.
    Like most templates it is not a full game and is a template to learn and build from. The main element of the template that I think is worth selling is the gameplay mechanic. Featuring some interesting techniques to have the little stupid pixels bounce and move along on top of blocks, but turn round and walk the other way if they hit one on the side.

(Also sorry for the confusion over which template you'd bought, I don't receive any notification when a template is sold on the GSMarketplace and assumed you had bought it via my own website and the last template sold there had been Paper Toss.)

Anyway, glad you got that bit working.

I would have closed this thread if I was allowed as the creator to do...as mentioned in previous replies...I did appreciate the response and the short video....much a noob I was back then. I rarely use templates anymore for the lack of completion of most of them or as a Guru once said...horribly pathetically terrible code...lol. If I can't do it or feel there's something I don't know how to do yet it just doesn't go in the game.

Again thanks the reply @StormyStudio‌ I have tinkered with the Stupid Pixels but I later searched the App Store to see if there was one and there is several. Mostly with no sales what so ever...so I have put it aside for now until I figure a major adaptation to this template to work in my favor for sales. Another reason I don't buy templates. They usually are sold after it's already been out in a store.

edited August 2014

OMG ! Dang it! I keep buying templates! WHY THUNDER WHY? half finished....not even playable as is without finding out AFTER I buy it that it's full of bugs !

PLEASE Template makers.....as a buyer I hope to be able to re-skin...add game mechanics to the game (actors and attributes)....not have to feel "&$@#!!!!....the template as is isn't even a working product.....AAAAHAHAHAHHSHRRRRGGGGG. G G G ! G! :\

Did I mention AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRGGGG ?

Ya know...this is when I realize I'm just not able to do this GS thing......coding.....understand what to do....beyond frustrated. I'm tipping between an October account renewal or call IT QUITS !

• ImNiklasImNiklas Member Posts: 103

I've thought about buying templates many times, but each time I've decided to just do it on my own. After getting some of the free templates I've realized that if you get someone else's code, it's really hard to understand. No matter how well-documented it is, you will always be better off by doing it all by yourself. It's amazing how many things you figure out by yourself just by thinking.
    If you run in to a problem while creating your game you could always ask here in the community and you will most likely get help to fix it. Another thing that I like to do which helps me solve almost any problem is to write/draw it on a paper. It will be so much easier to understand what to do! You could also use a whiteboard, but then the notes won't be left if you want to see it again in the future.