Make a dynamic blur background ?

Hi ..

How can i make dynamic blur background in photoshop ( like the background in control center in iOS 7 ) ?

Thank's ..

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    Are you simply after a blurred image, or do you mean something else ?

If it's just a blurred background you are after then simply take an image and apply a Gaussian blur filter to it (adjust to taste).
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Dynamic might incur movement, constant change, activity, and/or progress. Blur is just an effect.
  • dlaimdlaim Member Posts: 110
    @Socks , @RP

I mean a background you can see what behind it in blur effect . If you put this BG above grass image you will see the grass is blurring , and if you put the same BG above clouds image you will see the clouds is blurring . Simply just like the background in control center , if you slide up control center you can see what i mean , so how can i make this in photoshop ..

I'm sorry for my English
    edited January 2014
    . . . so how can i make this in photoshop ..
    In Photoshop, select the area you want to blur and apply a Gaussian blur.
    @Socks thank's ..

But what i mean is i want to make this background and use it in gamesalad .

You know , my app has a different images , just if i put this background above images , the images will be blurring automaticly .

I think that is impossible to do in photoshop .
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    Not possible. You can't blur something that isn't there (e.g. transparent space), and place it onto any other thing or image and expect the latter to accept the former's blur effect (which is non-existent because you can't blur something that isn't there).
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited January 2014
    There are no 'dynamic' screen effects in GS. If you want a blurred screen you'd need to create two images in Photoshop, one un-blurred and one blurred and swap them when you want it blurred and un-blurred in GS.
    @TheGabfather , @jamie_c

Thank's all ..
  • artfishartfish Member, PRO Posts: 369
    You could do some dynamic blur using 2 objects like jamie_c mentioned. You could also take the 2 images and make 2 separate actors. Constrain their locations to each other and use interpolate alpha on the blurred imaged to give the illusion of a dynamic blur.
    @artfish yeah , that is best solution if i have specific images or backgrounds , but i have a lot of different images and numbers , so the best way is a background can blur what behind it .
    edited January 2014
    so the best way is a background can blur what behind it .
    A background (by definition) has nothing behind it, it's the background ! :)

You are asking whether Photoshop can produce an image that blurs the image beneath it when it is place in GameSalad ?

This is not possible, that's not how Photoshop or GameSalad work.

You can blur images in GameSalad (if just follow the same maths that Photoshop uses for blurs), but you are not able to mask your blurred area.
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2014
    Well... you could try and create custom shaders for GS, and theoretically create a blur that samples the background images, but not sampling in real time.

Blur Shaders essentially just take a pixel radius sample and blur to the colors sampled by a majority coloration per radius. While GS can't sample in real time. It is possible to pre-sample a scenes colors or sections of a scene and then create nodes that broadcast or give coordinates to which colors are currently in that section.

With that in mind using a small pre-blurred white/black image with opacity not at maximum and having that being fed pre-sampled color information in real time based on coordinates, you can create a dynamic blur effect. But it will be quite rudimentary.

edited January 2014
    @natzuur
    Well... you could try and create custom shaders for GS, and theoretically create a blur that samples the background, but not sampling in real time.

Blur Shaders essentially just take a pixel radius sample and blur to the colors sampled by a majority coloration per radius. While GS can't sample in real time. It is possible to pre-sample a scenes colors or sections of a scene and then create nodes that broadcast or give coordinates to which colors are currently in that section.

With that in mind using a small pre-blurred white/black image with opacity not at maximum and having that being fed pre-sampled color information in real time based on coordinates, you can create a dynamic blur effect. But it will be quite rudimentary.

Yeah, agree, I was thinking along similar lines, you can create a blur, but it won't be as nice as a Gaussian blur in Photoshop and will be a real pain in the ass to implement each time . . . . . example file below (I'm sure with time and patience you could do much better, but this gives you the basic idea).

GS generated blur: https://www.mediafire.com/?qz0azjub9wy57lz

Personally I'll stick with Photoshop !
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2014
    @Socks Haha for sure, photoshops blur are so nice. Probably not worth the effort, especially on a big project. Maybe one day we can have real time sampling!
    @Socks Haha for sure, photoshops blur are so nice.
    What ! Even nicer than my GS blur !?

I can't believe that's true.

:(( ;)
    @natzuur , Socks OOOOOOOOH THANK'S ..

that is very useful .
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited January 2014
    I was actually just thinking of how useful this would be in GS.

I've been noticing a lot of nice sampling effects in apps, especially now with the sampling effects in iOS7 and designers wanting to match the look/feel.

I think one of the coolest distortion effects I've seen with layers is in Disney's Frozen app called Free Fall. The pause menu has a transparent frozen effect with parallax added to it for real time dynamic distortion. Most of the app is 2D but I bet that specific layer was modeled in 3D.

I think layer sampling should be on the roadmap for GS, it keeps the look up to date.
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,351
    If I'm understanding correctly, you want a to bring up a menu or something and blur everything behind it? If so, is there any specific reason you need to be blurring everything? Surely taking the background image you're using, or a screenshot of a "typical" scene, and applying the blur effects in Photoshop would have a sufficient effect? The iOS 7 control centre blur is pretty strong. Doing something like this would only require one new image per scene and would be very easy to implement.
    @Armelline
    . . . Surely taking the background image you're using, or a screenshot of a "typical" scene, and applying the blur effects in Photoshop would have a sufficient effect?
    . . . I suspect, like 'iOS 7 control centre' he might want to slide the menu over the background - rendering it blurred - rather than it simply appearing in position ?
    Perhaps something like this?

I didn't line the images up quite right in Photoshop so the blur doesn't quite line up, but it's easily fixable and really not very noticeable anyway.
    edited January 2014
    Pah can't see how to attach a file to an edited post. I updated it a tiny bit and went to re-attach it and seems I need to post again to do so. Sorry it's rather large, I just grabbed a random image off Google.

Aaand I'm going to need to update it again, to rest attribute when you switch scenes. Just hit reset if it doesn't work first time.

As you can see, as long as the actors aren't big and white, the effect works pretty well even with actors under it - as long as the image you're using to blur is generated from a broadly similar picture to what it's being put over.
    edited January 2014
    Have a black scene background and add this rule to the standard background actor for a nice fade out effect too.
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    The problem with the whole actor thing is that they will be in different positions.

Although that's probably the best way to do it at the moment.
    If you mean you'll want to blur just certain parts of the screen, the exact same principle applies. You'll need need a blur for each part of the screen you intend to cover.
    @Armelline
    Pah can't see how to attach a file to an edited post. I updated it a tiny bit and went to re-attach it and seems I need to post again to do so. Sorry it's rather large, I just grabbed a random image off Google.

Aaand I'm going to need to update it again, to rest attribute when you switch scenes. Just hit reset if it doesn't work first time.

As you can see, as long as the actors aren't big and white, the effect works pretty well even with actors under it - as long as the image you're using to blur is generated from a broadly similar picture to what it's being put over.

Works very well ! :)>-