Poker Hand Comparison Tool

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
edited January 2014 in Working with GS (Mac)
Okay, so inspired by the epic, daunting task that @Fajlajp has set out for himself, I figured I'd kill some time this weekend in the mental exercise of creating a functioning poker hand comparison tool in GameSalad.

This is something easy to do in just about any programming language that has arrays, but was a real challenge in GameSalad. The fact that it wasn't attached to an actual poker game made it even more challenging!

There are numerous additions GameSalad could make to the creator that would trivialise this task. Sortable arrays, the ability to return an attribute from a max() or min() rather than just the attribute's value, loops (I didn't use any nightly behaviours, so I don't know how robust the new loops are).

I'm pretty pleased with the result, and I've been playing with it all day and haven't managed to trip it up yet. I think the suit sorting is working now too, but not 100% on that.

Take a look! Updated the video to an EVEN MORE BORING ONE!

I don't really know what to do with it now. As far as I know, this is the first time this has been done in GameSalad (identifying poker hands has been done, but I can't find any examples of comparing poker hands).

Comments