State of GameSalad on 1-15-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

We have some good news to report this week. We're still head's down on fixing bugs in nightly builds. Once that's stabilized then we'll pinch off 0.11.0. Lots of fixes have been made to Windows Creator -- including updating the version of Qt we're using which will improve performance during preview. Windows Creator will also be showing up in nightly builds very soon.

We also hired a new engineer to work with us on our new cross-platform creator. On top of that, we've signed a contract with a UI design firm (that uses GameSalad!) to work up the new look & feel of things. We're taking into account all of the loud feedback we've gotten from you about usability and whatnot. We'll be churning on this for a few months before we can reveal too much more about it. Good news though!

We have an open contract position for a support engineer. We'd prefer folks in Austin, but if you're really good and remote we might consider you. Check it out here: http://gamesalad.com/jobs

More info next week!

Comments

• AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69
    Come on ! Please update about Revmob & Chartboost goto what step now. I remember you said the coding finished at nov2013 but now is Jan2014. Fix bugs is so important but add a new Ad Provider for us is importnt also. Please don't skip this question, thanks !
  • RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2014
    @CodeWizard This is great news! Sounds like you guys have been hard at work. But I have to say Revmob and Chartboost are my greatest concern at the moment. Is there any news on when they will be done?

Also, are there any plans regarding custom fonts? I feel that this should be very high on the priority list for new features. At the very least, could we get some clean new fonts to use in 0.11.0? We need more fun, game-appropriate fonts.
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    Cool, great updates lately. @CodeWizard any news on batch rendering/sprite sheets?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @natzuur We have sprite sheets and batching implemented in the engine and need to get the feature in Creator. That's the hold up. We're head's down fixing 40 some bugs in the current build before adding more! :)

@Trunks @AlvinF Chartboost and Revmob are done. I'll verify when the web publishing part will be complete. You'll need to use the nightly builds to take advantage of them until 0.11.0 is out.
  • RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124
    @CodeWizard I apologize if this is a dumb question, but can we actually submit an iOS app with Revmob and Chartboost ads in it right now using the nightly build? I am a bit confused because in the roadmap it says "The latest nightly build has Chartboost and Revmob implemented. Some web publishing work is happening now to allow you to enter your own API keys and take advantage of these new ad networks in your own apps." I took this to mean that we couldn't submit any app with Chartboost/Revmob until the web publishing work was completed...Would you mind clarifying?
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Great news this week. Really eager to see the new creator. Am sure it'll be as pathbreaking as the tool itself. Good job, keep chugging GS.
  • rdlew2008rdlew2008 Member, PRO Posts: 85
    Back in november i bought PRO because they said you guys would have revmob and chartboost. now its the middle of january. i do android and i havent been able to monetize with ads. i have been waiting and waiting. i feel like im throwing my 300 dollars in the trash because i cant use this product that i bought. Please release advertising!!
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    @CodeWizard It's been a while for me so I may have missed it, but... what's the status of custom loading wheel?
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    @CodeWizard It's been a while for me so I may have missed it, but... what's the status of custom loading wheel?
    here here... i second the motion........ loading wheels.

• TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    @921creative @FINNBOGG
    This thread got resurrected just the other day, read the latest posts.
    According to BlackCloakGS he has this within his sights and will get to it soon after Revmob and Chart Boost implementation is complete.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Back in november i bought PRO because they said you guys would have revmob and chartboost. now its the middle of january. i do android and i havent been able to monetize with ads. i have been waiting and waiting. i feel like im throwing my 300 dollars in the trash because i cant use this product that i bought. Please release advertising!!
    Maybe then you should spend your money based on what was currently available and not what was promised in an ever changing beta. Some things can't be controlled. Consider it a lesson learned.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    Maybe then you should spend your money based on what was currently available and not what was promised in an ever changing beta. Some things can't be controlled. Consider it a lesson learned.
    Yeah aint that the truth!!!
  • sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    @codewizard Will Chartboost and RevMob be available for Tizen publishing as well
  • nikosinikosi Member, PRO Posts: 25
    @codewizard dont mean to be rude but with my 10 yrs of experience from software industry it seems that you are either feature hogs towards one release cycle or your code base is really rotten. Could be both. Otherwise I dont think that your experienced team could give such loose approximations about when will it ready. I would think that less is more in this case. Deliver few good features in a rapid cycle, not bunch of those every three monts or so. Imagine the amount of bugs? btw. Do you apply TDD while having some elements from CI? Do you have a clear design pattern and architecture so that you could even write unit tests?
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246
    @nikosi they've already said the code was a mess and that's why new stuff is taking longer. They're main goal is to sort through the code, clean it up, and then work on what we've been asking for
    @codewizard dont mean to be rude but with my 10 yrs of experience from software industry it seems that you are either feature hogs towards one release cycle or your code base is really rotten. Could be both. Otherwise I dont think that your experienced team could give such loose approximations about when will it ready. I would think that less is more in this case. Deliver few good features in a rapid cycle, not bunch of those every three monts or so. Imagine the amount of bugs? btw. Do you apply TDD while having some elements from CI? Do you have a clear design pattern and architecture so that you could even write unit tests?
    Have you even been paying attention to what had to be done in the past 6 months? Code base is really rotten? Yes it was (which has been well documented since codewizard took the job) and that has been taken care of and the last Two nightlies are based on that new code base. Time to lose the attitude and move forward. Apparently 10 years of 'software experience' hasn't taught patience. 16 days into the new year and with the NEW code base there are bugs to be ironed out. Simple as that.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited January 2014
    @nikosi

It's true that they have been putting a lot of work into their code base. That's great. It means putting future features in quicker.

But let's also remember that each person wants something different. GameSalad can't possibly do everything everybody wants.

@All Keeping things civil here on the forums is important, too. I'm just happy I found this tool. If I hadn't, who knows where I'd be.

Now, back to my bomb shelter...

Sorry FryingBaconStudios wasn't around so just filling in :D
  • BenMakesGamesBenMakesGames Member Posts: 85
    I can appreciate that some people might feel disgruntled about not getting the features they want after paying for them. Admittedly I am also waiting on features too. However if you are upset about the product you have paid for id suggest you contact Gamesalad directly and privately.

Please dont make the forums a negative place and especially don't publicly put people down for their efforts.
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    Cross platform creator doesn't mean Java, right? Right? @-)
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    @Armelline Java no. Also funny note Apple does not allow Java apps in the Mac app store.
    edited January 2014
    Ok again with the "Beta" excuse. Im still trying to figure out why this is still called "Beta"

Adobe continues to strive to make improvements and as time and tech advance they continue to add new features and abilities to their software. But they havent been " beta " in a long time.

What will it take for Game Salad to consider themselves "Out of Beta" and call the Creator V 1.0? Whats missing? What hurdle have they not jumped over yet. What is holding them in the quick sand of BETA?

Fill in the blank:

_____________________ happened today.....We are officially no longer beta !!!!!!!"

Found this definition on google.

beta means service is still in testing, and not yet ready for prime time
    software development roughly follows three stages.

ALPHA when software, or service is actively being developed.

BETA when software is being debugged, sometimes it is polished enough to allow a select group of invites from the public to go "beta test" it.

FINAL is when the software/service is finally released to the public, and everybody can join in.

So if you follow this traditional point of view. 0.10.4 is not beta. and Nightly Build are Beta. So that mean 0.10.4 is actually 1.04.0
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    I don't actually see any of the GS staff using that excuse... ever really. It's mainly veterans defending the product.
    It's immaterial, I don't really worry about it.
    - Thomas
  • vipasanevipasane Member Posts: 34
    @SingleSparq I really do agree what @nikosi is trying to point out there: Less would be more, they should be re-factoring instead of releasing long lists future features. When code base is in order new feature(s) would be so much easier and faster in released as @braydon_SFX said. Great list of new features usually introduces a great list of new bugs
    I agree Vipasane. Goes back to my car analogy. You wouldnt take your new tax return and make a list of Car speakers and sub woofers and fuzzy dice. Knowing that the fuel filter needs replacing, the oil needs changing, The spark plug wires are frayed, the front tires are going bald, and the crack in the windshield wont stop growing.

Priorities.

Maybe that new car stereo isnt working because you forgot to spend money on new fuses and a new fuse box.
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    Great work, looking forward to 11.0. Keep up the great work!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited January 2014
    Sorry FryingBaconStudios wasn't around so just filling in :D
    Hey , no problem, there is always room for more voices of reason and logic. Welcome to the party pooper club. As you pointed out life requires personal responsibility. Make smart choices based on fact not maybe or emotion.
  • Mr. MartensMr. Martens Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2014
    What does 0.0.0.216 mean? Especially in relation to 0.11.0?

Can't we just call it 'NB 216' (I know I do)

Also I don't like the phrase 'pinch off'. What image is it supposed to conjure up exactly?