Vent

I'm disappointed. The differences between mac and windows are more than "a few minor details". It's confusing at points.
After watching great tutorials by others (mac), I find the layout of Gamesalad not the same as mine (windows). Setting up commands are even different at times. Im sure some differences may be due to updated versions, but its very discouraging to new users.
The thing I find most disappointing is how Gamesalad's Creator page shows a scrolling bar on their game example. Windows version doesn't have one! Isn't that false advertising?
I do feel discriminated against. Looks like mac users get a wonderful version while windows get the crummy one. Hints why the different forum for window users.

I could really be excited about Gamesalad and recommend it if these issues were ironed out.

Comments

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    Ive managed to make 3 games so far with the Windows version. It's called adapting. I don't like the Windows viewer of GS but get around it. The more you use it, the easier it becomes.

And essentially, everything is where you find it and you soon get in to a stride with your work flow. Already this year, thanks to people like @T-Shirtbooth and @deepblueapps etc, I have made my own in game store, learned how to add a money system, star system and edit some templates.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2014
    I'm disappointed. The differences between mac and windows are more than "a few minor details". It's confusing at points.
    Getting used to new software is not always easy. When the majority of community tutorials and videos are for a different version (Mac instead of Windows) it's even more difficult to learn.

Learning to use GameSalad is a time-intensive process. You joined two weeks ago. I've been doing this for two years and I still find it challenging when I want to build a new app. Is it easier than the alternative? YES. But that doesn't make it "easy."
    The thing I find most disappointing is how Gamesalad's Creator page shows a scrolling bar on their game example. Windows version doesn't have one! Isn't that false advertising?
    Can you post a screenshot of what you mean or be more specific? The only scroll bar I see is one that allows you to scroll left/ride to view more of the scene. But that only appears if you manually make the scene longer.
    I do feel discriminated against. Looks like mac users get a wonderful version while windows get the crummy one. Hints why the different forum for window users.
    What you may not know is that the Windows version is quite recent while the Mac version has been around for years. I'm not defending GameSalad (the company) but it's worth considering that you're using something somewhat new. And more importantly, the community itself was built up around the Mac version. So as a result of that history, a huge majority of the resources available are for the Mac. But that is changing...

As for the forum differences, that was a conscious decision on the part of the GameSalad staff to provide a focused area for questions about Windows Creator. It's not necessary to post there but it's available as an option.

All that being said, it's entirely possible to make an amazing app with the Windows version. It may take more work on your part to learn it, but the Windows version has the same feature set as the Mac version. And if it really bothers you, consider something like http://www.macincloud.com that some people here are using.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• blowfishfruitblowfishfruit Member, PRO Posts: 41
    Thank you for the responses. After spending a few different sessions sitting for several hrs and not making much progress, I lost the element of having fun. Especially when it should be as simple as replicating an example you see someone else do.
    I apologize for the vent. Really wanted to blow off some steam and get feedback that would be helpful.
    I'll keep playing around with it and see what I can do. Thanks jiggly and tat.
  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    Yea I wanted to use PC at work to do a few things....didnt take long for me to decide....Ill just wait til I get home. I do know why....it doesnt look exactly the same. There must be a reason they cant put everything exactly the same in a "window".
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Ironically the point of the windows version was to redo the UI that would then be ported to the Mac. But from what I hear work has begun on new UI and a more universal creator for both systems.