Interest in game development, but no experience.

DanibooDaniboo Member Posts: 3
Hey!
Since the old days of NES, and Nintendo 64 - I've been interested in the simplicity of certain games.
To make it clear, I have absolutely zero knowledge in game development, but I heard that GameSalad is an easy software to use to make simple games.
I have a lot of plans, but I'm not sure if it's worth spending 50$ on Graphics and Audio - not to mention the time.

I have watched a couple of YouTube videoes, and read the manual, but I'm still somewhat clueless of what to do to get "This player to die when he hits this object, and a restart button should show up, etc."

So my idea was to make a simple (SIMPLE) "Running game" where your "player" are supposed to jump over obstacles and maybe collect different items - WHILE the screen sort of, moves with the player.

I also want the player to be able to change the "player" - for example, the Zombie are running slowly (Meaning camera are slower), but his jump falls towards the ground faster. Or a lion that sprints extremly fast, but might overjump obstacles. ETC.

Could someone give me any genius ideas for the simple game?

Also - I have read about uploading games to the App Store - but I'm still not sure exactly how it works.
So IF I manage to create this simple game, and I have it on my PC - it's bug free, it works perfectly, I have created rules, info, marketing info, etc. which I read is manditory for an App. I also start off by making 0,99$ IF it's an OK game that gives people a challenge, and might be "addictive", I personally get easily addicted to simple games that give me a challenge.

How likely is it that this app would get accepted, and uploaded to the App Store?
And I've read something about - "You need a Mac to upload App Store games!" ; Is this true?

!AND! If anyone know about a template I can pay for, I'd be glad to check it out!
I have a question for paid templates as well : If I pay for a template that fits my game perfectly - let's say it costs 10$, will I be able to change the player, background and sound - and still upload it to App store (If Apple accepts it)?

I hope to get some good advice, and I'm really looking forward to making a simple, but challenging game :)

Dan

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Hi Dan,

You sound like me 10 years ago :) i say give it a shot if you don't have time in the week mb spend some time with GS at the weekends.

GS is by far the easiest to use and we have lots of free templates with notes in to help new users.

Try our free Santa Go! if your after a running game, it will be a good start for you.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-santago/

Darren.
  • DanibooDaniboo Member Posts: 3
    Hi Dan,

You sound like me 10 years ago :) i say give it a shot if you don't have time in the week mb spend some time with GS at the weekends.

GS is by far the easiest to use and we have lots of free templates with notes in to help new users.

Try our free Santa Go! if your after a running game, it will be a good start for you.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-santago/

Darren.
    :) Well, I have always been facinated by developers coding games, which to me seem like some sort of an alien language, so I haven't really bothered putting much effort into it.
    However, GameSalad made me really interested :)

Well - right now I'm a "part time student", meaning I don't have any studying except making sure I pass the exams in may :) so I have plenty of time.

Thanks! :D
    Now with this template, is it possible to change background, design, etc?
    And is it possible to upload my game (with this template) after I've done some changes with it?

Dan
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I think your best bet is to get accustomed to variables.

Variables are how you indicate to your game that certain things have changed.

For example:

"I'm still somewhat clueless of what to do to get "This player to die when he hits this object, and a restart button should show up, etc."

Find where the variable are stored in GS - this will be on the left panel (if you're using a Mac - no idea about PC!) under 'attributes' (I call them variables - others call them attributes - they're the same thing!).

There should be a little '+' and '-' button at the bottom of the list. These allow you to add or delete variables.

If you press the '+', you'll be given an option of what kind of variable to make.

Boolean - true or false e.g. player state (dead or alive)
    Integer - a whole number - e.g. player score
    real - numbers with decimal point (e.g. player X and Y positions).

There are more, but these are the main ones.

Let's focus on the first one, booleans.

Create a boolean attribute - call it 'player state' - click the little box to change the state to true (booleans can be represented as true/false or 1/0

---------------------------------------------------

Make an actor - call it 'player'
    Make another actor call it 'enemy'
    Make another actor call it 'restart'

Make these actors 40x40 in size (Opening up an actor by double clicking will list their attributes such as size and position on the left where you can change the values)
    ----------------------------

Open up your player actor and click 'add rule' (top right of screen)

Your rule will have a condition in it. Change it to say:

When player collides or overlaps with object 'enemy'

Then you should drag a 'change attribute' behaviour to the rule. Behaviours are found bottom left of your screen.

Press the first 'e' in the behaviour and click on 'attribute player state' (the attribute you defined earlier).

In the second box type in 'false' or '0'

This rule is basically telling the game that when your player actor is hit by an enemy actor, his state is changed from '1' or 'true' to '0' or 'false'. (From Alive to Dead, essentially).

Make another rule.

This one should say 'If player state =1'
    change attribute self.x to 160

OTHERWISE
    change attribute self.x to 400

(this places the player at X position 160 if alive, 400 if dead)

----------------------------
    Double click the the enemy actor.

Add a rule:

If player state = 1
    Change self.attribute X to 160
    Change self.attribute Y to 400 (this places the enemy above the player position)

OTHERWISE:
    Change self.attribute X to 500 (this moves the enemy out of the way if player is dead)

Another rule:

If self.position Y is less than or equal to -100
    Change attribute self position Y to 400

(this will make the enemy move back to vertical position 400 if it goes lower than -100

And one final rule:

If player state = 1 (if player is alive)
    MOVE behaviour Down, speed 90 (this will move the enemy down if the player is alive)

---------------------------
    In the 'restart' actor have a rule that says 'If player state = 0'

Change attribute self.position X to 160

OTHERWISE

Change self position X to -60

This basically puts the restart actor on the screen if the player is dead. Otherwise we move it off-screen so it can't be touched.

Then put in a rule 'If actor is touched'
    change attribute player state to 1

This does two things - it should restore your player to life (yay!) and also move the button you just pressed off-screen.

Now place the player actor in the bottom middle of the screen by dragging it into your scene
    Drag the enemy into the top middle of you scene
    Drag the restart actor into the middle of your scene

Press the green arrow button at the top of the GS creator

What *should* happen is that the enemy will move down and hit the player.

At that point, the restart button should be in the middle of the screen. Touching it will restart.

I hope that's clear (I'm falling asleep here, so apologies if I've missed something). It should demonstrate how using just one attribute/variable can affect a number of things, how to change states based on collision, and how to move actors based on states.

Variables are you friends!

Hope that helps!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

I think your best bet is to get accustomed to variables.

QS =D
    Thanks! :)
    Im already stuck at "Press the first 'e' in the behaviour and click on 'attribute player state' (the attribute you defined earlier)." because I cant find nothing like that.
    For example :
    http://marketplace.gamesalad.com/#category=13&product=23314
    Can I use that templet and change the player, change the background - basically change the looks, but still keep the structure of the game - and eventually apply to App store?
  • troyfrantroyfran Member Posts: 3
    you need to watch a lot of youtube tutorials and you'll start to get a hang of it, don't be in a hurry, it's going to take weeks or months to get some skills.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    For example :
    http://marketplace.gamesalad.com/#category=13&product=23314
    Can I use that templet and change the player, change the background - basically change the looks, but still keep the structure of the game - and eventually apply to App store?
    Yes, you can keep the core mechanics and just change the art.