how to hire the right developer for my game

betoladodgersbetoladodgers moreno valley caMember Posts: 9
Im all done with my graphics for a game....I been looking for some one to hire on odesk.com and I found one his rare $11 per hour. ... but you know that saying "You get what you pay for"something like that

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    I know that saying and it tends to be true. Why not hire someone from the forums here? Many of us have proven track records and we specialize in GameSalad.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
    $11 per hour is not much. Most people ask between $15 per hour and $25 per hour.
    On gshelper.com you can take a ticket and one of their developers will help you or you can ask on the forums for help (not like in this thread but in one with more information ;) )
    I personally can help. I will send you a PM (see inbox)
  • betoladodgersbetoladodgers moreno valley caMember Posts: 9
    @timolapre1998 I would love to pay some one even less but don't want it to come out crappy...he does have have 5 stars but no portfolio

@Tatiang how would I hire someone here I'm new to this. ..
  • -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
    Good developers cost money.
    You can make another thread with "[paid] developer needed" with some more information like.
    What do you want (full game or template/example)
    What are you willing to pay
    Etc.
    If someone respond to your thread then you can do everything straight with that person.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2014
    @timolapre1998 I would love to pay some one even less but don't want it to come out crappy...he does have have 5 stars but no portfolio

@Tatiang how would I hire someone here I'm new to this. ..
    Just be careful. It's easy to get scammed by someone who says, "Oh yeah, I'll make that for you... just send me the money, thanks!"

Make sure you go with a well-known brand such as GSHelper.com or at least a sous chef/line cook or veteran member with posts in the thousands. It's not a guarantee but it's more likely that you'll have success with that person/company.

Many people won't work without a legal business contract. That part is up to you and the person you hire.

If you can't afford $20-$40 per hour, then you'll probably end up working with someone without a proven track record. I can't give you legal advice but I'd just say to be careful and get everything spelled out ahead of time. You say the person doesn't have a portfolio but that doesn't mean you can't ask for one. I'm out of your price range but as an example, I direct potential customers to http://greenleafgames.wordpress.com/testimonials that has some recent comments from my clients.

Also, take a look in this subforum (Coding/Programming or Logic Services) and pay attention to how other users here have requested or offered coding services. As @timolapre1998 suggested, you just start a new thread and explain as much as you feel comfortable with and then ask for people to contact you via private message or email.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Any respectable coder is going to cost $30 or more. Anything less than that you're not getting the best.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I would say thats too cheap, i charge £200 ($330) a day or £30 ($50) an hour and I'm extremely busy with client work.

Also a big factor is how much can they get done in an hour and how clean the code is?

You might hire someone at $10 an hour but if it takes then 10 hours do do something i can do in 1 you just saved yourself $50….bit of an extreme example but you get my point.

Darren.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    I would say thats too cheap, i charge £200 ($330) a day or £30 ($50) an hour and I'm extremely busy with client work.

Also a big factor is how much can they get done in an hour and how clean the code is?

You might hire someone at $10 an hour but if it takes then 10 hours do do something i can do in 1 you just saved yourself $50….bit of an extreme example but you get my point.

Darren.

Great points Darren. I know my clients are amazed at how fast I can crank out complex code that is highly integrated. The other thing that drives clients to me is when they hired other people and those people can't code certain things. If I had a dollar for when a client said "oh the other people I hired before said that couldn't be done." You get what you pay for.

Well my budget is around $600 My max 800 once i have received my grant from School,,,,, if any of you guys would be interested msg me
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited February 2014
    @timolapre1998 8 hours.

I tend to turn most people down tbh if they haven't got a detailed design doc i won't quote its not very good simply saying i want a game like X, its nothing personal its just i would rather make new templates to sell on DBA and also the day to day running of DBA takes up a chunk of my time.

Darren.
    I will post up detail about it tomorrow when i get home @deepblueapps thanks for letting me know that, ,