So... BulkyPix contacted me...

Hello everyone, hope you're having a nice day!
So, the other day I posted a preview video of my upcoming app, Timing - Countdown Game, on both the GS and Touch Arcade forums, and received a private message from BulkyPix Publishers saying they were interested in publicizing my app and marketing it. They say they would take 30% of my app's revenue after Apple's cut. Anyone ever worked with them? Should I take this opportunity?
Thanks!

Comments

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    There is a lot more to the process than that, so you should definitely have the conversation with them and see how it goes. 30% is fairly standard and considering they are a well know company the marketing would certainly help with downloads. But then again, some people want to do everything on their own, worth talking to them though.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited February 2014
    Sounds good but think about it before you jump, I had my game Tumble Jumble published with Chillingo and i wouldn't recommend tbh all they do is mass mail there contact list, you lose all control over you game and if it doesn't gain any traction they won't invest any money advertising it.

The grass isn't always greener :)

Darren.
  • TheShatteredBoxTheShatteredBox Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the feedback you guys! Yeah it is bulkypix, they sent me all their UDID's and mailed me very professionally and I will skype call them today, let's see how it goes. But would partnering with BulkyPix get me to, like, the top 100 or something or not as far as that?
  • TheShatteredBoxTheShatteredBox Member Posts: 21
    True, before they contacted me I did hear a lot about their published apps. By the way, I already sent out the app to Apple and am still waiting for approval. Are BulkyPix supposed to publish the app on their developer account or is it still on mine?
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    True, before they contacted me I did hear a lot about their published apps. By the way, I already sent out the app to Apple and am still waiting for approval. Are BulkyPix supposed to publish the app on their developer account or is it still on mine?
    If they allowed you to publish it, how would they get their 30%? ;)

I'm sure they'll want to publish it on their account.
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    Yes, they will want it on their account or they really wouldn't be publishing it.
  • WhySoCREATIVEWhySoCREATIVE Member Posts: 75
    Do they publish it under their name or the developers name?
    It would suck if it is under their name though.
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    @WhySoCREATIVE, probably their name. But I would hope/think the developer could ad a screen that says something like, "developed by so and so, published by so and so".
  • StoneclipseStoneclipse Member, PRO Posts: 130
    edited February 2014
    Just curious. If they want to publish your game, does that mean you have to send them your project file for them to sign through gamesalad? And if your game has pro features, they have to purchase a pro account?
  • StoneclipseStoneclipse Member, PRO Posts: 130
    Or maybe you can transfer the game to their developer account after you upload to the app store through iTunes connect
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474

@TheShatteredBox Did you end up going with them? My game The Drive was published by BulkyPix and I'd be interested to hear about your experience.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hi @POLYGAMe what is your experience?

Not great, tbh. The game did badly but I don't blame them for that, it's simply the fact that I cut too many corners (game was a bit ambitious for my skill level at the time). I don't want to go into details (yet) about their service here for obvious reasons but it hasn't been fun. But then, loads of people seem happy with them...

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@polygame, sorry to hear your experience was not the best. I love the game though, I think you did a great job. I haven't typically liked driving games on my iPad because of the way they 'feel'. Which is an abstract concept for sure, but your games controls just felt right to me, I played to the end and loved every minute of it.

@jamie_c said:
    polygame, sorry to hear your experience was not the best. I love the game though, I think you did a great job. I haven't typically liked driving games on my iPad because of the way they 'feel'. Which is an abstract concept for sure, but your games controls just felt right to me, I played to the end and loved every minute of it.

Awesome, thanks :)