cant add actors to scene.

joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207
edited February 2014 in Working with GS (PC)
the mac version of gamesalad is awkward (offers no predictive text or decent way to add behaviors to script.) and the windows version breaks at random (temporarily refuses to let me add actors to scene) I just leave for a cup of tea and come back and it is working fine. is there a solution being worked on. should I really just learn unity syntax? like most people in this community are saying? or maybe I have a virus?

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2014
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're finding it to be a frustrating experience. GameSalad is not a perfect tool. It is, though, a tremendously powerful and mostly reliable tool. How do I know this? I know it from two years of almost daily use of the software (Mac version) and from the fact that of the thousands of users there are only a handful of users complaining about it.

You could learn Unity if it will make your coding and developing an easier task. Or you could learn GameSalad better so that it doesn't seem awkward any longer.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207
    @tatiang if you like to drag and drop things, then the mac version of gamesalad is fine. but if you don't have 10 years to make a game , you would make it in windows gamesalad. from my experience. but windows version locks up for me.
  • joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207
    do you think it has something to do with my firmware? I love gamesalad, really fun. but nothing kills my mood like a mandatory time out. I was just hoping it was a simple problem like tables not working in html 5
    To each his own, I guess. You now have posted two large exaggerations. I'm sure it's because you're having a hard time with the layout, interface, etc. of the software. But I can assure you that many people here have made impressive games in a few days to a few months.

Anyway, I hope you find the right tool you're looking for. It sounds like GameSalad might not be right for you.

The staff/developers are working on a cross-platform version that might solve both of the issues you raised so if you do switch tools keep an eye on this one in the coming months.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

do you think it has something to do with my firmware? I love gamesalad, really fun. but nothing kills my mood like a mandatory time out. I was just hoping it was a simple problem like tables not working in html 5
    I think I'm not the best person to answer this as I don't use the Windows version of Creator. This thread might be of use to you: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/59247/windows-creator-first-stop-if-you-experience-unexpected-behaviours.