Side scroller help

JayReiterJayReiter TexasMember Posts: 88

Hi everyone. I'm a complete noob at Gamesalad here and I'm struggling with some of the basics. I'm creating a side scrolling shoot em up, similar in nature to the Basic Shoot Em Up template. I'm trying to get the background to stop scrolling at a certain point. Right now the background is its own Actor with a simple Move behavior. The Move behavior settings are Move In Direction: 180, Relative to Actor, In an Additive way, At A Speed of 6. The X coordinate starting point is 713 and the Y coordinate starting point is 160. The simple Move behavior works fine and gets the background to slowly move along just how I want. I want the background to stop moving at X coordinate -233. I've tried a few different things and searched different tutorials on YouTube and Recipes, but haven't found a solution yet. What am I missing here?

Comments

• JayReiterJayReiter TexasMember Posts: 88

Please also note that I'm not very knowledgeable yet of GS. Don't assume I know what you're talking about. Please break down your instructions on a very step by step basis.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

The Move Behavior moves something at a constant rate of speed, you'd probably be better off using an Interpolate Behavior and Interpolate your background from its starting X position to the -233 you mention. It will then move until it reaches X -233 then it will stop.

@jamie_c said:
    The Move Behavior moves something at a constant rate of speed, you'd probably be better off using an Interpolate Behavior and Interpolate your background from its starting X position to the -233 you mention. It will then move until it reaches X -233 then it will stop.

Ok, I tried that and it didn't work. I got rid of my Move behavior and added an Interpolate one instead. I have it set up as Interpolate: self.position.x to self.position.x-233 for 8 seconds using a Linear function. The background does move in the correct direction, but it gradually speeds up (something I don't want) and goes right past the stopping point.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited March 2014

go into your actor and change the Liner velocity of X to -6 or whatever speed you want and then add a rule that says when self position = or < less then -233 change velocity to 0.

edited March 2014

Are you sure you removed all the Move Behaviors, it sounds like something else must be effecting it if it's moving beyond the -233 point.

@jamie_c said:
    Are you sure you removed all the Move Behaviors, it sounds like something else must be effecting it if it's moving beyond the -233 point.

Yeah, I deleted all behaviors. BBEnk's advice worked, so I got that one problem solved. If you're still willing to help out, jamie_c, there's a lot of stuff I could use your input on, though. :smile:

@BBEnk said:
    go into your actor and change the Liner velocity of X to -6 or whatever speed you want and then add a rule that says when self position = or < less then -233 change velocity to 0.

WORKED!!!

Ok, so the next problem: Once the background stops scrolling, I want the player to shoot at a door. I want the door to have x amount of health, and once its health runs out, I want the door to shatter. I have the door as a separate image and a series of shatter animation images. I'm assuming I'll need to create the door as its own separate actor. Do I need to spawn this actor at a certain point? Or should I have it always active and just have it scroll with the background? Step by steps on how to set all of this up would be great.

Glad you got it worked out one way or another! :)

I'm about to head to bed here... but feel free to post in the forums, if I don't answer I'm sure someone will! :)