Results of being featured on the appstore and sales figures

izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
edited November -1 in iPhone and Android Publishing
Hi guys, just to share a little bit on this.
As some of you knew, my game was recently featured on the appstores a few weeks ago.
As of now, its out of the featured list from the US store (both on the desktop and on the iphone).
But it is still on in a few other countries.

I'll just give a quick list of my observations so far (got to rush for work in a few minutes!)

1) game was featured from April 27th till may 13th. (US store)
2) Most sales come from US
3) It's nice being priced at 1.99 USD
4) It immediately boosted the ranking into the top 100 in arcade and action.
5) Being in the 70 to 100 ranking for that period of time (or shorter) garnered on average about 180 downloads daily.

Some thoughts after dropping off the featured list:

I think the game would maintain or climb higher up in the rank if I had a timely and fast update to respond to the many suggestions and criticism of players. Alas... I'm not fast enough.
Nonetheless I'll be updating the game periodically to maintain the game's "freshness" in the hope that players will keep the game on their iphone/ipod for a longer period of time and eventually they'll refer it to their friends and families.

I do hope to get into the top 100 ranking again soon.
I've been observing a few games like doodle jump, angry birds and bird strike and the way they market their games.
Because of this, I feel that working on my current game and continue to improve and add more features to it instead of working on another game (i have a few which still needs my attention..sigh) could be a winning strategy in the long run for me. I don't know...perhaps. I will share with you guys more in the future.

To sum up, I was totally bad at marketing my game when it was first released. It is only when it got featured on the applestore did the game got boosted up the rank.

So I encourage everyone to polish up all your games and get noticed!

Comments

• expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    How do games get featured anyways? Does apple choose? Or based on reviews?
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    It's all up to the man!
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    hey izam. thanks for sharing your experience! great read.
    and yeah! totally my opinion also. make 1 "YEAAHH" game, instead of flooding the appstore with 5 "ok" games.
    good luck!
  • fuzzeemicfuzzeemic Member Posts: 47
    Nice info. Thanks for sharing.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Well done mate, always good to hear these kind of stories... gets me motivated!
  • izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
    Thanks everyone! Hope this will motivate you guys further!

@Artonsky: I have no idea how games get featured, but I was fortunate enough to be contacted by apple guys. That helped a great eal since I am terribly bad at marketing.

Well its all downhill for me now I guess... till I finish the next update. I really wonder if it will help push up the ranking. Will share more information till then.
  • haim96haim96 Member Posts: 87
    what do you mean: "It's nice being priced at 1.99 USD"
    who set the app price? you?
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    I did... I forced it upon them at gunpoint.