Size does it really matter?

GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

So making an app for the iphone. Trying to make sense of things but having fun trying.
Some things I understand are important.

Graphics..............

images must be devisable by 4
Use RGB
72 DPI
PNG

If its retina double the size of the image. So if you want a 64x64 image. Make the image 128x128

But looking at images for scenes. My understanding is screen is 640X1136
but gamesalad wants 320 X 568 for iphone 5. Half??? Scene images don't need to double the size for retina???

If I upload a larger image , lets say 650X1136 its much too large. I just adjust the size in gamesalad to fit the screen.

Does it really matter how large scene graphics are if we just resize them anyways????

Couldnt find docs or youtube that really covers the topic well.

Just click resolution independence and carry on?

Thank-you for your time.

Comments

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Hey @gattoman‌,

Just so you understand how Retina works, the screen size is 320 x 568 but you can fit a 640 x 1136 graphic in a 320 x 568 world. It is crunching double the pixels in the same screen size.

Leave Resolution Independence checked and double the pixel size of all your graphics so they are Retina.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

So Im mixing density with size. Or more accurately using the terms incorrectly.

So when making graphics in iDraw I set I still set it to 640 X 1136 and manually resize in salad to the 320X568 size??

thanks KillerPS

• AlkaPPAlkaPP Member, PRO Posts: 194

Only my personal experience, I design my game according to iPad size for both scene and actors, and published it as Universal Binary. It still looks nice on iPhone, iPod, etc. But when you design a game for iPhone, it will stretch when you view on iPad, which make the images blurry.

My Gamesalad Games On App Store:

Greedy Chubby: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/greedy-chubby/id834371213?ls=1

Makes sense. 1024 x 768 it is....
    thanks

• CodeMonsterCodeMonster ACT, AustraliaMember Posts: 1,078

if you have retina display checked when you drag in an image, gamesalad will automatically resize it for you.

So if I wanted to pay an illustrator for some full scene background graphics.
    I would ask for. 72 dpi, rgb, 1024X 768 and gamesalad takes care of the rest. Cool.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

No, image needs to be 2048x1536 if the full screen actor in GS is 1024x768.

Retina displays 4 image pixels per 1 screen resolution pixel.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@Hopscotch said:
    No, image needs to be 2048x1536 if the full screen actor in GS is 1024x768.

Retina displays 4 image pixels per 1 screen resolution pixel.

This is what you should be doing.

Just remember You are developing the game at the visible size and you make your images double the actor size.