Hanging Rope Mechanics

TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

Does anyone know of a tutorial for making a sort of hanging rope/chain in a game? Something that is free swinging, and could be attached to an object to hold it up and allow for movement. It would be effected by momentum and potentially impact as well.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

GameSalad doesn't have joints so a chain or realistic rope isn't going to be easy, you could in theory do it with some trigonometry a lot of patience, a degree in maths and a preposterously powerful computer - or you could externally pre-render a swinging rope in some animation software like C4D and import the image sequence - and then further manipulate the frames (and how they play) in GameSalad - or you could try a simple straight rope (essentially a swinging box).

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

I guess that answers my question. Thanks.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

@Tosanu said:
    I guess that answers my question. Thanks.

Check out the ropes in lebiscuit's excellent Red Riding Hood:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/449114

• MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090

Something like this on my game ePig Rope?

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

@MagoNicolas‌ While that and the other game mentioned are impressive, i was hoping more for a static, deforming object that could be affected by the player rather than generated by. Its a puzzle physics type game, so adding momentum to the object on the rope to make the whole thing swing back and forth, for example. I'll probably look for other options, but thanks for the suggestions.