State of GameSalad on 4-3-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

As you might have guessed, we're still working on squeezing the last issues out of 0.11. The latest release candidate revealed more issues to us. We're chugging away on this. Here's the at-a-glance view of the remaining bugs:
The main issues outstanding right now are summarized by this table:
It looks like another release candidate will be coming out any day now. With, fingers crossed, a stable release next week. On a side note, I'd like to say how I abhor giving completion estimates with complex builds like this. More often than not, I'm just flat out wrong. :)

Beyond 0.11, we're still turning the crank on our cross platform creator and starting to turn attention to the release that comes after 0.11.

More news soon!

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Awesome job as always. Thanks for keeping us informed even if it's not the best of news! Keep chuggin'!

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Hm... ok one more week... :neutral_face:

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

Looking Good!

• johnydeejohnydee Member, PRO Posts: 196

I had submitted a bug ticket on the universal build screen off shift problem ,has that been resolved because I still encounter the same issue on the latest NB and release candidate ?

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    edited April 2014

@CodeWizard said:

It looks like another release candidate will be coming out any day now. With, fingers crossed, a stable release next week. On a side note, I'd like to say how I abhor giving completion estimates with complex builds like this. More often than not, I'm just flat out wrong. :)

No worries, we've waited this long, no reason we can't wait a bit longer if it means a truly stable build. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Fyi CS-273 is suppose to say Support Tablets on google play.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Quick update on the public bug database. We had some one working on setting it up. Unfortunately the have left the company and we have not reassigned the work.
    CS and I in the mean time will be putting up a sticky on the forum that will act as our public database in the mean time.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Quick update on the public bug database. We had some one working on setting it up. Unfortunately the have left the company and we have not reassigned the work.
    CS and I in the mean time will be putting up a sticky on the forum that will act as our public database in the mean time.

Great news ! [Fanfare + Trumpets + Skelton of a long dead clown], GameSalad should (could) have done this years ago, but better late (implausibly late) than never :)

Not wanting to tempt fate, but do you know when this sticky might arrive ? If you can't commit to a month, the nearest year will do.

:wink:

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BlackCloakGS‌ That would be great! When you say "sticky" I hope that means no comments allowed. Then at a quick glance we can see what to avoid and what has been cleared or fixed. Thank you.

edited April 2014

@PhilipCC said:
    . . . . When you say "sticky" I hope that means no comments allowed. . . .

I think it would be rather frustrating if users where not allowed to flag up bugs they'd discovered, sure the thread could be moderated (even heavily moderated), but it would be good to have a thread where we could not only post our discoveries but also get a little feedback / interaction.

If we can't post in the thread we are largely in the same place we are now, if you send in a bug report and it doesn't make it's way onto this thread then what can we do ? Send it in again and again hoping it just might be included on the next thread update ? Never knowing if GS are even aware of the issue.

At least if users are able to post in this thread we would get an idea of how a bug is impacting users - for example - if a post pointing out that the colour selection wheel crashes GS gets a few 'likes' and a couple of responses we can immediately see it effects few people - whereas if a post pointing out the broken relationship between prototypes and instances attracts dozens of 'likes' and dozens of responses we can immediately see it's an important issue for users (the corollary being GS jettison work on fixing the colour wheel and prioritise reuniting the orphaned instances).

Let's not try to limit it before it even exists !! :)

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Fingers crossed for the stable release next week ... Can't wait !!! Thanks for the update :smiley:

• Anything on the black screen loading before Ads on Android for interstitials and load time ads? One of the guys posted a bug for it but I don't know the number off the top of my head.
    Everything else looks great!

....maybe sneak in support for Amazon FireTV if it's a quick fix? ;)

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

Could anyone response ANYTHING to ticket 4307 (Chartboost code is "visible" even if Chartboost option has been UNchecked)? Amazon is waiting more than 2 months for my game (Free App of the Day)! There is always some bug or issue. Don´t know if you count with that and what can I expect about this issue. My full game has got an ad code which I did not include. And Amazon really does not like any ad code in their Free App of the Day promotion! That is the point. Thank you, PRO user, Daniel.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

@johnydee said:
    I had submitted a bug ticket on the universal build screen off shift problem ,has that been resolved because I still encounter the same issue on the latest NB and release candidate ?
    @mattrouse1 said:
    Anything on the black screen loading before Ads on Android for interstitials and load time ads? One of the guys posted a bug for it but I don't know the number off the top of my head.
    Everything else looks great!

....maybe sneak in support for Amazon FireTV if it's a quick fix? ;)
    @Bitvork said:
    Could anyone response ANYTHING to ticket 4307 (Chartboost code is "visible" even if Chartboost option has been UNchecked)? Amazon is waiting more than 2 months for my game (Free App of the Day)! There is always some bug or issue. Don´t know if you count with that and what can I expect about this issue. My full game has got an ad code which I did not include. And Amazon really does not like any ad code in their Free App of the Day promotion! That is the point. Thank you, PRO user, Daniel.

This and Im sure many others. Nope no "Stable" release for next week.

Like i said in a previous post. Dont release a thing till all current bugs are fixed or at least addressed as not possible to be fixed. No better off than you were 3-4-5-6-7 months ago. If your 4 fixes have caused 6 new bugs. Dont just release a new "stable" release, just because of all the new features and bells and whistles.

" Ah Hell you didnt fix this. Why Not. Can I revert back to my old version"

All your gonna get is comments like this and much more.

If all currently reported bugs and newly reported bugs arent fixed. Then release is not possible.

• justinodunnjustinodunn Member, PRO Posts: 226

Yesssss can't wait for the stable release!! :smiley: :

• Mr. MartensMr. Martens Member Posts: 43

@justinodunn said:
    Yesssss! I can't wait for the stable release!! :smiley: :

Oh yes you can.

I guess you're right

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

A suggestion/request out of nowhere:

We spend a lot of time adding 1 to attributes.

Change attribute game.Counter to game.Counter+1

Any chance we can have the option of adding that change attribute, choosing the attribute to change, and then in the function box being able to put ++ or something, instead of having to labour through the attribute picker to get the attribute we need, then adding +1 to the end?

A tiny change that would collectively save hundreds of hours.

Just occurred to me, and it seemed you haven't got enough bugs to worry about any more, so I thought you'd appreciate having another little thing added to your plate. ;)

@Armelline said:
    A tiny change that would collectively save hundreds of hours.

This is one of dozens and dozens of small changes that would shave hours off a sometimes pointlessly convoluted workflow.

A big one for me would be actors placed in the scene assuming a position quantized to the nearest whole pixel value, rather than to a multiple decimal place position.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Socks said:
    A big one for me would be actors placed in the scene assuming a position quantized to the nearest whole pixel value, rather than to a multiple decimal place position.

I would do unspeakable things to make this happen.

Unspeakable things.

@Armelline said:
    Unspeakable things.

I would do terrible things, terrible terrible things I'd regret for the entirety of my natural life, for a folder system for assets, even the most rudimentary folder system would do, once you pass a few hundred image assets in a game having them all in a single unorganizable window that doesn't retain focus/position when you so much as look at another window makes asset heavy games enormously unwieldy.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@Socks said:

Agreed. All we need for this to happen is the one true ring... no biggie ;)