Release Candidate 0.11.0.4 is available!

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited April 2014 in GameSalad Kitchen

Release Candidate 0.11.0.4

Features:

• Added round and roundTo functions to expression editor. round(x) will round the number x to the nearest whole number. roundTo(x,n) will round the value of x to n decimal places.

Fixes:

• Fixed a memory leak issue with scene unloading
  • Fixed Display Text showing up as black boxes on older Android devices
  • Fixed an issue where apps would crash if the GameSalad Network bar didn't load correctly.
  • Fixed Network Game table being overwritten for the current player
  • Fixed iOS Viewer not displaying placeholder stubs for Platform and In-App Purchase behaviors
  • Fixed issues with 24 bit PNGs and now detect premultiplied alpha on images. PNGs saved in Adobe Fireworks and Photoshop should now work correctly. We do not support pngquant, Blurizer, or Posterizer; images saved in pngnq should be supported.

Known Issues:

• The Release Candidate version of Creator will not open if your GateKeeper settings are set to "Mac App Store" or "Mac App Store and identified developers"
  • Tables not being sorted correctly (will be fixed in next release)

Report Any Bugs
If you find bugs in the Release Candidate, let us know! We'll be watching the forums and support tickets for info on this. Once we're all happy with the state of the build then we'll make it stable.

Take a moment to review the "known issues" section of the release notes before reporting any bugs. No need to duplicate reports on what we already know, right?

Thanks for your help!

Go Get It!

See the release notes here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releaseNotes/creator/rc

Download the release candidate here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

Scroll down until you see "Release Candidates"

Comments

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Very happy to hear you got the .png and scene memory thingy sorted!

Nice one! :D

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@Adamgopro are you using any png optimizer? How did you create the pngs (what program did you use to save out the pngs)?

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Awesome!

• lovedislikelovedislike Member, PRO Posts: 17

Can the "Tables not being sorted correctly" issue be elaborated on? I seem to be having an problem with tables on android (iOS is fine) and I would like to know if it is related with that issue. Thanks.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Awesome. Going to have to check out those new functions!

• AdamgoproAdamgopro Member Posts: 310

Hate to burst your bubble but The png problem has gotten worse! for me anyway... my pngs start of pure black and some of my pngs have white boxes around them now and some are too bright.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Adamgopro are you using any png optimizer? How did you create the pngs (what program did you use to save out the pngs)?

Trying to repost @BlackCloakGS‌ post here. Very odd that his was posted before yours. :cold_sweat:

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@CodeWizard said:
    Trying to repost BlackCloakGS‌ post here. Very odd that his was posted before yours. :cold_sweat:

I've seen that happen multiple times today.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited April 2014

Hmmm, my game has many hundred PNG files. All of them created with "save for web" in photoshop. They are a mix of 24 and 8bit files. All look fine except a few of them (8bit ones) now have white instead of transparency. All of the bad ones were made at the same time but I can't remember what I might have done differently, so if someone can analyse them, here is one that looks right and one that now has white where transparency should be. I did not use any png compression tricks on these.

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197

Good stuff!

Just to clarify if you can:

"Tables not being sorted correctly (will be fixed in next release)"

By 'not being sorted correctly' do you mean the bug from the last nightly where I could make over 100 columns in a table, but could not make over 100 rows?

Also, by 'next release' do you mean next nightly/next RC/0.11 ?

Cheers!

QS =D

@BlackCloakGS - brilliant - thank you :D

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited April 2014

@‌quantumsheep QA and I doubled checked and with 0.11.0.4 you can create 999 rows and 999 columns. With up to 50 Tables. The sorting issue is when you create the tables.

Next release being the next RC or the stable 11 which ever comes first.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

Re-posting from previous one.

@stevej said:
    When an ad is requested, it starts a 60-second timer. If you try to show an ad before the timer expires, the ad request will be skipped. Once the timer expires, another ad request will go through and restart the timer.

Hold up. So what you are saying is:

If I have the Interstitial Ad check box in the Change Scene, the ad has been requested. Then we must wait 60 seconds before the requested ad is allowed to show?

Is that correct?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited April 2014

@FallacyStudios said:
    Re-posting from previous one.

no, based on my experience this is what happens

you display an ad

60 second timer is started

30 seconds go by and you attempt to display an ad, nothing happens

60 seconds go by and you display an ad, ad is displayed and timer is reset

@BlackCloakGS‌ @CodeWizard‌

Hey guys,

I opened my game up in .11.04 and had a quick look at the table. It still wouldn't allow me to go over 99 rows.
    I fixed this by exporting the table to a .csv, adding some values in row 100, then re-importing it to my game.

Unfortunately I still have an issue with Pause.
    Pausing then returning to the game with .11.04 and .254 stops one of my buttons working and stops the Air Counter from counting down.

It works absolutely fine with .244

I've submitted a bug report just now with detailed info and a 24.5MB file attached for you to test on.

Support request number is #4442

Looking forward to sorting that out!

QS =D

• JungrilaJungrila Member, PRO Posts: 46

@Adamgopro I use GIMP for making PNG images and use ImageAlpha and ImageOptim to optimize them.
    As for almost all images, I save images as 24bit with transparency via GIMP, optimize with Median Cut, 4 to 256 colors via ImageAlpha and furthermore optimize via ImageOptim.

• fishbowl1fishbowl1 Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS I'm still having issues with alpha. Any time I alter the alpha using Gamesalad, there is a layer of grey added to my images. This happens even when an image has no premultiplied alpha. My images are 32 bit PNGs created in Photoshop.

*Edit: For example, if I use a rule "when touch is pressed, set alpha to 0.5" it turns my image grey. The images are fine otherwise, only when the alpha is altered.

• SmokeyAce73SmokeyAce73 EarthMember Posts: 370

Wooo! Great Downloading Now :smiley:

Developer For BLUNTentertainment - Feel Free To Message Me! - Free Beginner Templates!

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@BlackCloakGS the road map hasn't been updated since the 22nd of January. Getting close to 3 months any chance of an update soon?

• zimtasticzimtastic Member, PRO Posts: 12

Any chance of Fire TV support?

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited April 2014

It's great to see fixes so frequently!

@BlackCloakGS‌ Alpha is still unusable. I made this screenshot using the newest RC and an unoptimized .png (made in photoshop). The alpha value for the first actor is set to 1, for the second one to 0.75 and for the third one to 0.5. Instead of just getting transparent the images turn grey and white outlines become grey outlines.

This also happens when you interpolate the alpha value to something lower than 1 and for particles.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:

Added round and roundTo functions to expression editor. round(x) will round the number x to the nearest whole number. roundTo(x,n) will round the value of x to n decimal places.

Isn't this just a duplication of the prec maths function, round(x) = prec(x,0) . . . and roundTo(x,n) = prec (x,n) . . . ?

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@Socks I believe the prec() is a text function it converts numbers to strings where as round() and roundTo() are numerical

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@BlackCloakGS said:
    @‌quantumsheep QA and I doubled checked and with 0.11.0.4 you can create 999 rows and 999 columns. With up to 50 Tables. The sorting issue is when you create the tables.

How strict is the 50 tables thing? I combined a bunch of projects for someone recently and the result ended up with way more than 50 tables. It seemed to function fine in both my testing and his. Is the 50 tables a limit in the creator or deeper? There were about 40 tables per project with 6 projects combined into one.

• braverybravery Member, PRO Posts: 35

@BlackCloakGS : Can you please let us know what is the new ads timer? as we know that it was 60 sec for every ads request, so now in 0.11.0.4 what is the new timer value?

Thanks.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@colander said:
    Socks I believe the prec() is a text function it converts numbers to strings where as round() and roundTo() are numerical

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here ? Both 'prec' and 'roundTo' are maths functions and work on numbers, so for example roundTo(4.567,1) would give you 4.5 and prec(4.567,1) would give you 4.5.

Can you give me an example of what you mean by 'prec' converting a number to a string ?

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

Posting some test results here so anyone considering publishing a game with this RC is aware.

@BlackCloakGS
    I’ve been testing RC 0.11.0.4 today and the good news is that the memory leak has been fixed in my game that uses Reset Scene.

Unfortunately in a different game (aPuZzLr), a major memory issue has been introduced at some point in the RC’s.

The game uses one scene for over 100 puzzles – I change the puzzle image for each level using Change Attribute.

Using Xcode Instruments (Activity Monitor), I’ve analysed the real memory usage for this universal build game on an iPhone 5 - published in both RC 0.11.0.4 and the nightly build 0.254 for comparison:

As you can see, the RC real memory usage keeps increasing at a much faster rate and by question 5 is almost triple the memory usage of the nightly build.

Also, if changing image using Change Attribute, why is memory increasing at all? I would have thought it would just fluctuate depending on the size of the image being loaded??

I’ll submit a bug report. I have both of the Xcode Instrument analysis files if you need them.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

Load times are unfortunately not getting any better, at lease that is my experience in my latest project. On 10.4 my game takes 9 seconds to finish the initial load. With 11.0.4 the initial load takes 16 seconds. From scene one it takes 3.5 seconds to load scene two using 10.4. The same scene transition on 11.0.4 takes 17 seconds!

Frame rate is rock solid 60 FPS in 11.0.4 and the online features are crucial to the game I am working on, but these load times makes 11.0.4 unusable for me at the moment.