Your thoughts on Time and Location sensitive Leaderboards?

HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
edited April 2014 in Working with GS (Mac)

Hi everyone,

I have been dwelling on implementing a Leaderboard system which can show the highscore in a configurable way.

Building on the analytics functions, I can make a separate and independent leaderboard system that can be configured to show high scores by country in the last hour for example.

Trying to beat a high score that someone got in the last hour just seems to give me the extra kick, rather than seeing some unobtainable score that could have been achieved weeks ago.

What do you think, is this a thing that would be interesting?

Comments

• SmokeyAce73SmokeyAce73 EarthMember Posts: 370

Is that possible with GameSalad? If it is awesome!

If it's not still an awesome idea! However, I believe your'll need the 'right' game to put that in... I think games like Plants VS Zombies for example would lack the need for that, It's not really one I would compare my scores with.

On the other hand a game like, sorry to say, Flappy Bird. Not only would it be good it has the potential to generate revenue (If that's what your looking for out of your games) Maybe have that as a 'pro' benefit that comes with a paid version.

Now that's just my opinion.

Developer For BLUNTentertainment - Feel Free To Message Me! - Free Beginner Templates!

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@SmokeyAce, I guess we are the only ones to think this would be great.

I just know that I never really bother with highscores (since I am a noob gamer). However, I have been playing Phoenix HD and this shows me my rank locally, and this I am frantically trying to beat.

Even trying to be the best of the hour would be motivation. :D

• DoguzDoguz Member Posts: 500

Wow. I haven't been able to try your system out yet, because I can't find the necessary behaviours in GS to do so. But this sounds good.

Are you say you can gather a users location on the fly? What about gathering the number of users in a given location?

Example: How many users have triggered an event in the last hour.

Your playing the game and just complete it - then a report comes up saying "You and 7 others from springfield have just completed this game in the last hour"

How local can you get with your locations? Is is by country only or can you do it by city or even km radius.