Oversteer by POLYGAMe

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited July 2014

No idea Karl best see what the mods say but im sure I've seen it happen to the last 3-4 games made with Unity or Corona (could be wrong) I think GS see them as some sort of threat.

Darren.

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474

@DeepBlueApps said:
    No idea Karl best see what the mods say but i seen it happen to the last 3-4 games but they seem to be changing the rules all the time so...

Darren.

Yeah, just looking in Non-GS Games News... seem to be a lot being closed. I find this really sad.

I started with GS, I made a couple of games and it even helped me a heap when I decided to learn to code. I found that I already knew the basics of coding, just not the syntax, which was much easier to pick up after using GS.

Some of us outgrow GS, though. I needed 3D and I needed something with less limitations, so I learnt C++ and decided to start using Unity for my game building purposes. I wouldn't have thought people like myself were a threat...

I'm still thankful to GS and I would have thought the company would be supportive of ex-GS devs who are now only making games thanks to their introduction to development via GS. It's not like there aren't always going to be loads and loads of new users... the main selling point of GS is that you don't need to code, that's why it's so awesome! People can't just jump from GS to Corona or Unity or any other development software that require written code.

As I said, sad...

edited July 2014

Personally I like to see games made by indies whatever engine it's made in but I'm guessing GS don't want people jumping ship when they see something cool but like you say Unity and Corona have a much steeper learning curve so...

Darren.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

Hi @POLYGAMe

I'm gonna check with the other mods and @ForumNinja‌ on this. The original intent of the rule was to prevent people spamming the forums with news of the latest game they developed using another SDK. I personally think that when a veteran member of the community branches out a bit and comes back to show what they are working on it's ok. I can't think of many people who have actually done this besides you, @firemaplegames‌ or @gamesmold‌. I'm sure there are a few others.

edited July 2014

I'm gonna check with the other mods and ForumNinja‌ on this. The original intent of the rule was to prevent people spamming the forums with news of the latest game they developed using another SDK. I personally think that when a veteran member of the community branches out a bit and comes back to show what they are working on it's ok. I can't think of many people who have actually done this besides you, firemaplegames‌ or gamesmold‌. I'm sure there are a few others.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

I can confirm that @ForumNinja‌ and I have talked about this a little. He and I agree, as @jonmulcahy‌ stated, that veterans coming back to announce a new game is okay. I'm super excited to see @POLYGAMe‌ back every now and then announcing a new game. They all look great!

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I can confirm that ForumNinja‌ and I have talked about this a little. He and I agree, as jonmulcahy‌ stated, that veterans coming back to announce a new game is okay. I'm super excited to see POLYGAMe‌ back every now and then announcing a new game. They all look great!

Thanks guys :D

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

Yeah that's pretty much always been the rule. Old GS users are more than welcome to come back and show what they have been doing and all is grand as long as they aren't back here to run the look what you can so if you leave GS and try XXgameengineXX. Also meant to keep the forums from being spammed by never used GS people.

No idea why Darren would jump on here saying otherwise...

Back on topic. Game looks great as usual!!

@tenrdrmer said:
    Yeah that's pretty much always been the rule. Old GS users are more than welcome to come back and show what they have been doing and all is grand as long as they aren't back here to run the look what you can so if you leave GS and try XXgameengineXX. Also meant to keep the forums from being spammed by never used GS people.

Back on topic. Game looks great as usual!!

Thanks for clearing that up. Thought it sounded a little odd... I've posted updates on all of my games and never had any problems.

I'd never say "look what you can do if you leave GS". GS is a fantastic tool. The only reason I haven't used it lately is I have been doing 3D stuff and I learnt to code, so I might as well do that, so I don't forget how to. lol. I keep planning on jumping back into GS to do another game, too... it just so happens that most of my stuff lately has been 3D.

Here's another WIP shot, just for #screenshotsaturday :)

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

As much as I like to see it and have no problem with it, we're now promoting double standards … A lot of the rules were re-written and are now being enforced as people complained it was one rule for one and another for others … Surely this is doing so as well?
    I see active members to the GS forum have their threads closed, yet they are still giving so much to the community and are given no leeway, funny old rules at times!

Like I said, I like seeing it no matter what engine and love seeing older members coming back, just I don't think it should ever be a problem

edited July 2014

@tenrdrmer said:

Same reason as above...double standards.

I like to see what indies are making no matter what SDK they're using.

The posts I've seen closed have not done anything different to Karl, they've simply said here's my new game check it out and it was other members that raised the question what was this made with?

I think you should either allow anyone to post games made with other SDK's (this would get my vote) or ban other SDK's completely and by only allowing a select few members to post the rules have become cloudy and uneven.

A GS member of 3 years with 6 GS games but only 20 posts on this forum...where does he or she stand if they announce a new game made with Corona?

It seems to me your either in with the gang or your not which shouldn't be the case, I've said it once but I'll say it again look up the definition of the word "forum".

Darren.

Maybe you could start another thread about that and leave this one on topic? Thanx :)

@POLYGAMe said:
    Here's another WIP shot, just for #screenshotsaturday :)

Sick! Do you do your own art?

edited July 2014

Reminds me of Road Avenger on Mega CD.

Darren.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Sick! Do you do your own art?

Nope, I wish. Haha. Ash Jackson (fellow GS dev) did the some of the environment art, my mate Tim Evans from Mukpuddy Animation did the rest of the textures and I did the 3D models :)

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Reminds me of Road Avenger on Mega CD.

Darren.

I actually sent images of that game to Ash to use for the colours of the cliffs etc. It's kind of like Test Drive with Road Avenger visuals. At least, that's the aim :)

If that's the aim then your spot on m8, can't wait to play :)

Darren.

Game is almost done! Should be finished this week, then handed off to the publisher. Yaaaay! Been the biggest project I've ever worked on!

Here are a few new grabs :D

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    polygame looks great!

edited September 2014

Congrats on nearly finishing can't wait to play.

Darren.

Amazing as always!!

Cheers, guys :)

This is my tenth game and the first one that's actually had any interest.

I've been approached by a big publisher (who I'm going with) and several of the major iOS game sites. HOPEFULLY this will be the game that allows me to carry on full time :)

Pretty happy :D

edited September 2014

I hope its not Chillingo, we had a horrible experience with them and they hire and fire staff on a daily basis (had a friend working in the next office along).

Darren.

@DeepBlueApps said:
    I hope its not Chillingo, we had a horrible experience with them and they hire and fire staff on a daily basis (had a friend working in the next office along).

Darren.

No. I have worked with them before with the Samsung store though and they were great.

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    edited September 2014

This looks brilliant @POLYGAMe, the art is fantastic! Looking forward to playing it :D

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Thanks, guys :) Yeah, I'm really happy with the art. Ash and Tim did awesome work.

Now the game is in procrastination mode... why does that always happen to me? Haha... GET OFF YOUTUBE, KARL! lol.

@POLYGAMe said:
    Now the game is in procrastination mode... why does that always happen to me? Haha... GET OFF YOUTUBE, KARL! lol.

The struggle of an Indie Developer. Fight it, Karl!