anaglyphicity

SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
edited April 2014 in Miscellaneous

Ok, I made the word up in the title, sounds like it needs to exist to the neologist in me (I didn't make that one up).

Here's a very basic and quick GameSalad anaglyph test, it's simply a ball coming towards you (out of and passed the screen) and then it moves away (into and beyond the plane of the screen) . . .

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?726t3et92a8azac

Of course you need some anaglyph glasses, fairly easy to find, the front cover of kids comics is a good source or in toy shops, otherwise it's a case of raiding the local stationery shop to make your own, otherwise they are a dollar or two on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/260698343703?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Comments

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854

I will have to track down some glasses for this one! Can't wait to see it :)

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Socks I get your point here, but this will never work properly. As a filmmaker i know you need to separate 2 color channels out of an image. Gamesalad wont be able to do this, so I guess its going to be a lot of image rendering in after effects haha.

If you look at this image you see the red, blue, and a colored image. Not just red and blue because this would drive your brains crazy. I have added a modified version of your project. It's not perfect or ideal, but maybe this can help you with your prototype.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/5083d55ac4bd972f9e0a981a6b96b91020140418084755/a1e817d340923c1dfef2dee57cbb1a5920140418084755/d15a92

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

@Approw said:
    Socks I get your point here, but this will never work properly. As a filmmaker i know you need to separate 2 color channels out of an image. Gamesalad wont be able to do this, so I guess its going to be a lot of image rendering in after effects haha.

No one said anything about using images, It works just fine, grab a pair of red / blue glasses and check it out.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Socks I have a pair of glasses and ofcourse you see the 3D effect, without a doubt! But the blue color wasn't correct, and without a real object in the middle which "should" act as a 3D object, your eyes or brain cant handle this for a longer period of time. Just saying, but definitely an awesome idea. Keep up the good work!

(btw, I worked for discovery international on The Wild Life Man in 3D, and lots and lots of other stereoscopic films and animations.)

edited April 2014

@Approw said:
    But the blue color wasn't correct, and without a real object in the middle which "should" act as a 3D object, your eyes or brain cant handle this for a longer period of time.

The blue colour was correct ! :) Honestly !

I'm defining 'correct' as the colour that is most effectively filtered out by the red lens when on a black background, you could use cyan, but the fact that it's not a pure colour (it's green and blue light mixed - whereas blue is just blue light) means it will always shows up in the red lens.

Try it for yourself, on your images try cyan-red, then blue-red, you'll see that blue-red gives a much better (near perfect) separation, where as cyan-red causes ghosting.

Of course there is a reason most images you see use cyan, cyan will give you a better chance of holding the original colours on a coloured image, if you are using a photographic image for instance you have zero chance of convincing the viewer's mind that they are looking at skin tone through a blue filter ! Whereas with cyan you can just about fool the eye - but cyan results in a lot more ghosting, but for more graphic elements like anaglyphic FlappyBird (OMG, I've said it, I've actually said it, it's out there now!) red-cyan glasses for blue-red images giver much much better separation. Of course red-blue glasses for red-blue images would be even better, but they are not commonly available.

A magenta-cyan scheme is also better than red-cyan, better colour representation than red-cyan and less ghosting - but still not as good as red-blue given that both cyan and magenta are made up from other colours.

There are quite a few other non red-cyan schemes, anacrome, triscopic, red-green . . . etc etc.

So, I'm sticking to red-blue images for people to view through commonly available red-cyan glasses, it's the best bang for your buck with graphic elements !! :)

@Approw said:
    I worked for discovery international on The Wild Life Man in 3D, and lots and lots of other stereoscopic films and animations.)

Worked as an animator myself for years, still do quite a few jobs (although it's no longer my full time job) and I've done a fair bit of 3D myself, got a few old (cheap mirror split) 3D lenses from a job I did a long long time ago, I might dig them out and see if I can shoot some anaglyph for GS on them ! :)

@Approw said:
    your eyes or brain cant handle this for a longer period of time.

I'm planning on opening an online opticians, there will be a website link right inside my anaglyphic game, I'm going to be rich ! Rich I tell you, Rich !!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Can someone send me some 3D glasses, please? I'm interested to see the effects!

edited April 2014

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Pssh, you think I have that much money?

If you give me a badge I'll cover the postage costs for you.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Socks said:
    If give me a badge I'll cover the postage costs for you.

Sadly, there's no extortion badge.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    Sadly, there's no extortion badge.

Damn, all those weeks hidden in the bushes outside Braydon's apartment building with a zoom lens . . . wasted !?

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited April 2014

You are on fire Socks - most entertaining :lol:

I have to say that I had to Post title twice as I thought it read analglyphicity.

@lycettebros said:
    You are on fire Socks - most entertaining :lol:

You'd laugh at a burning man ? :o ;)

Got some glasses and the effect has ghosting in the viewer on the Mac but is not visible on an iPhone 5 ~ there's a lot of colour shift in devices these days but my oh my it looks mint :D Ace stuff @Socks

@matarua said:
    Got some glasses and the effect has ghosting in the viewer on the Mac but is not visible on an iPhone 5 ~ there's a lot of colour shift in devices these days but my oh my it looks mint :D Ace stuff Socks

Cheers @matarua ! :)

edited May 2014

@matarua said:
    Got some glasses and the effect has ghosting in the viewer on the Mac but is not visible on an iPhone 5 ~ there's a lot of colour shift in devices these days but my oh my it looks mint :D Ace stuff Socks

Try this with your glasses, it's a cube, you drag it left and right to spin and drag it up and down to bring it nearer or push it further away from you.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?uwzpsldutsqqqw8

. . .

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Socks said:
    you drag it left and right to spin and drag it up and down to bring it nearer or push it further away from you

...brings back memories of my dance classes

@Socks that is epic - how it actually comes out of the preview window is like wow cool, real 3D action - love it!

edited May 2014

@matarua said:
    Socks that is epic - how it actually comes out of the preview window is like wow cool, real 3D action - love it!

What's nice about having something you can move into the screen and out towards you - passed the plane of the screen - is that it is driven by the horizontal position/s of the two L/R images, so this value can be used to determine whether your 3D object is behind or in front of a second game element, or even just the plane of the screen . . . so . . . you can have objects interacting with the 3D object going behind and in front of it (depending on where it is on the Z axis).

Example . . . . if your object was a space ship - and the game was a simple left to right endless scroller, you could move the space ship in and out of the screen to avoid oncoming objects that are randomly spawned in the Z axis (their X position, Y position and the distance between them [Z axis] would all be randomised)

@Hopscotch said:
    ...brings back memories of my dance classes

Lol, it took a few hours for the joke to register but I get it now . . . . . (I think)

:)

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Can't find my glasses. :s