State of GameSalad on 4-17-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

Whew, we're running like crazy here fixing "little" issues in 0.11. Our focus the past few days has been on improving load time performance. Turns out we introduced some problems in our bug fixes and code rework. One was related to how we load images. We implemented a new optimized image format for your adhoc / published games to help there. The other was a memory leak fix that ended up traversing all of the objects and attributes in your scene when changing scenes. This code wasn't as good as it should have been and caused some nasty slowdowns. We pushed a fix for that today in RC 0.11.0.8.

We're getting really close to a stable build here. Be sure to check it out if you haven't already!

Beyond that we're continuing to work on our cross-platform creator, preparing 0.11 for Windows release, and whatnot. Man, the roadmap is in need of an update. I'll see about doing that tomorrow.

Comments

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

sweetness...

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@CodeWizard‌

Any chance of getting Banner support in RevMob those full screen ads really break a games flow and I think people will just shut there wifi off and skip them altogether were with a Banner they may just let them slide.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@BBEnk we can get that on our list but it won't be for this release.

@CodeWizard said:
    BBEnk we can get that on our list but it won't be for this release.

Thats very cool..

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2014

The latest RC 11.0.8 is looking very good, Game Salad. Really impressed, and loving this new release process.

I wanted to find an appropriate place to put in a little nudge for a much desired feature request that I've been wanting for a year or two, which is to be able to select which sound to play in a Play Sound behaviour by using an Expression, rather than the drop-down box. This would then let me me choose a sound filename using an expression that can specify a table value.

SPECIFY PLAY SOUND FILE USING AN EXPRESSION

For example, I have a single Monster actor, which - using tables - can take the form of any number of monsters, as per my table of monsters, which includes it's image name, speed of movement, sight distance, etc.

But I can't currently have them all making different sounds in the same way. I'd currently have to nest a whole ton of "If monster = Type 2, then play "hurt_Zombie", otherwise, if monster = Type 3, the play hurt_Werewolf", etc, etc, etc, for every thing instance of a PlaySound behaviour.

With the use of expressions, I could just have... "If monster is hurt, then play sound using expression TableValue (hurt column, monster type row)" type of approach.

My game is very object oriented, building entire missions using table data, and actors looking at table values to give back rich results without having to put in a ton of "If, Then" style rules in actors (which frankly become completely untenable).

In terms of Voice Over for monsters, characters, player sounds, vehicles, etc, I can't do much without the feature of having Expressions in the Play Sound behaviour. I've been putting off dealing with that part of my game entirely until that feature comes about.

It doesn't seem like an especially hard feature, seeing as very similar features exist elsewhere in the game (such as specifying an IMAGE name using an expression).

So I'd love to see that coming up after this stable build is done and dusted.

:)

• TinpotTinpot Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2014

@CodeWizard said:
    @BBEnk we can get that on our list but it won't be for this release.

While your at it, it would be great to have the "More Games" feature implemented aswell that are offered. GS already has this feature setup for Playhaven (or whatever they are called now), and i wouldn't have thought that major major changes would be required to link this feature out to Chartboost or Revmob? Especially chartboost where its only 2 lines of code in the SDK.

Food for thought.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@CodeWizard it would be great to able to use an attribute for font size in Display Text. It would be great if you could stick that on your list for a new feature in a future Nightly Build.

• lovedislikelovedislike Member, PRO Posts: 17

I second @colander 's suggestion :)

• Coconut GamesCoconut Games Member, PRO Posts: 5
    edited April 2014

Very good idea for a next release, getting banner support in RevMob !!!!

Thanks for your great work GS Team :)

• miharomiharo Member, PRO Posts: 41

Update on PC version! That's great news...

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@BBEnk said:

Any chance of getting Banner support in RevMob those full screen ads really break a games flow and I think people will just shut there wifi off and skip them altogether were with a Banner they may just let them slide.

Cant shut off wifi if its a multiplayer game ;) I personally don't see this as an issue. i think the ads in-between scenes are far better and when i know I'm playing a free game i feel its a fair trade off. much better than loosing play area or a distracting banner while I'm trying to play the game. This may also be something of a developer needing to be responsible with their ads thing also. i mean if your dumping them on every scene change and pause scene and in between menus and god knows what else well then who's fault is it the players are getting tired of them? just saying...

Ive been playing pudding monsters and the ad appears between every 5-10 scene changes it seems like. unless I'm reseting due to failure over and over and over its really not hardly noticeable.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Great job GS team! I always knew this is how it would go once you got the tech debt sorted.

@tenrdrmer said:
    Ive been playing pudding monsters and the ad appears between every 5-10 scene changes it seems like. unless I'm reseting due to failure over and over and over its really not hardly noticeable.

I can shut off my wifi on my mini, I tested it with my game and flappy bird, and no ads popped up which is why I asked, and why not have extra options.

@CodeWizard said:
    BBEnk we can get that on our list but it won't be for this release.

@CodeWizard‌ , @tenrdrmer‌

So I was doing some reading and it seems that Revmob Banner ads are also just interstitial
    if thats true then never mind on the Banner ads from me, thats not really what I was looking for.

edited April 2014

@BBEnk said:
    I can shut off my wifi on my mini, I tested it with my game and flappy bird, and no ads popped up which is why I asked, and why not have extra options.

You completely missed the comment that mattered for that statement;)

@tenrdrmer said:
    can't shut off wifi if it's a multiplayer game...

Yes you technically can turn it off on anything you want. But what won't work is notifications and turns being sent or received etc. and I really think the thought if shitting it on and off would become far more annoying and cumbersome than just clicking the x on an ad. Just sayin...

@tenrdrmer said:

You completely missed the comment that mattered for that statement;)

Probably.

and I would like to report @tenrdrmer for using bad words on the forums. :)

@tenrdrmer said:
    I did?

I think you meant "shutting".

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339

"Shitting it on and off "- that was funny!

Hahaha my auto correct is good at that. It changes !@#$% to shot and shot to !@#$% all the time.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Thank you!

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

Is Facebook coming?

• badseedstudiobadseedstudio Member Posts: 2

hey i have a question are you guys planing to incorporate social media capabilities ? I'm a big fan of game salad and its easy to use drag in drop functionality its a go to game creator made for every gamer that always dreamed of building a game from scratch .but could be the ultimate app creator if it was to incorporate the functionality of social media it would have endless possibilities.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@badseedstudio said:
    hey i have a question are you guys planing to incorporate social media capabilities ? I'm a big fan of game salad and its easy to use drag in drop functionality its a go to game creator made for every gamer that always dreamed of building a game from scratch .but could be the ultimate app creator if it was to incorporate the functionality of social media it would have endless possibilities.

They are going to add a behavior that accesses iOS devices social app menu. They did do this to the tweet function, aka making it an all around social access but many of us use predefined tweet messages to do social media tracking so they changed it back to just tweet. I imagine once 11.0 is out they will be able to focus on other features. We're currently waiting on some major multiplayer bugs to be fixed once 11.0 is out.

• coolsnipcoolsnip Member Posts: 2

Hi, i am considering to buy pro version but just want to ask whether gamesalad pro are able to do android in apps purchase or not. Thank you.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@coolsnip said:
    Hi, i am considering to buy pro version but just want to ask whether gamesalad pro are able to do android in apps purchase or not. Thank you.

google play - NO
    Amazon - YES

• cph127cph127 Member, PRO Posts: 26

Keep up the good work. It is greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to the new stable build w/ the stretch function for Iphone 5:)
    Cheers,

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

google play - NO Amazon - YES

We cant via google because of _________________????????????????

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@FINNBOGG‌ Oooh, I know, I know! It's because we haven't implemented it yet?

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited April 2014

No no. I meant in true curiosity. I honeStly didn't know what the reason was. Reason or why.