It would be nice if the GS Mac version was similar to the windows version

GdoggGdogg Member Posts: 95

ive got both versions, windows is hell of a lot easier to work with, but crashes to often not as stable as the mac version, the mac version performs a lot better but its setup is nerve racking. My preference has always been PC over mac anyday, in fact i bought a imac just for gamesald and itunes dev center. cost me 4 figures, lol. It would be nice if they create more updates for the PC version.. anyway just my thoughts... cheers everyone.

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

they are working on bringing the windows version in line feature wise, and a new unified creator as well

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

In my opinion, Mac version is MUCH better and more user friendly! For me, Mac over PC! :D

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@KillerPenguinStudios yeah the mac version has a much better workflow in my opinion

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@KillerPenguinStudios said:
    In my opinion, Mac version is MUCH better and more user friendly! For me, Mac over PC! :D

Yep. Mac is way better. They need to pull a few of the good features from windows and not screw it up completly.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited April 2014

+1 (i.e Mac GUI + ways of working in Mac GSC are better in the main, in my op.).

If the "2nd born" influenced the Mac version in any major way, I'd be really annoyed.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• GdoggGdogg Member Posts: 95
    edited April 2014

my opinion is that i wish that mac was the same as the pc version why, because it is impossible to create complicated tasks with mac, but can be done with pc.

"STAGE- INITIAL SCENE" and before your eyes "x" "y" "w" "H" "R" COORDINATES..

mac lacks this! this is a must for serious game developers... biggest problem is the updates for pc, and i wish they realy fix the bugs cause its nerve racking.. eg. program quitting in a middle of a task. need a fix.. and a proper update

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Mac version all the way for me too :)

Lack of updates for the PC (maybe not many users) has left it lagging so far behind the Mac its almost unusable.

Darren.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited April 2014

@Gdogg said:
    ...why, because it is impossible to create complicated tasks with mac, but can be done with pc.

@Gdogg That's totally not true.

As for showing coordinates and other parameters just by clicking on an actor, that is useful, agreed – to obtain the same info with the Mac version takes two clicks but I'm not going to complain about that. And I'm sure it's not a particular worry for the majority of other Mac GSC users either.

Edit: although to show the x, y coords. with a single click in the edit window would be great, admittedly, for when adjusting actor placement (next to Project size at the bottom, perhaps... that is something worth copying from the pc version....

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• miharomiharo Member, PRO Posts: 41

Pc version ui is much better in my opinion. But it doesn't matter, it is ok everyone have different opinion about gui. What is not ok is, i have to juggle between 2 versions to finish the job. Because pc version dont match mac version in terms of features.

There is nothing that cannot be done with the Mac version that can be done in the PC version. Absolutly nothing!

As far as GUI it's just what you started with that gonna be more comfortable to you In most cases. I hate using the windows version mainly because it is designed around the audition everyone sits at a desk with multiple 27" monitors to work with. And that's just not the case. I have used a windows tablet to run GS and it is the most painful cumbersome thing to use on a small screen. Even my 13" Mac screen sucks to use the PC GUI on.

There are certainly aspects of PC version that are nice and useful but overall it sucks GUI wise. For me anyways. :)

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

I started with the PC version and for the first month or two then bought a Mac which I have been using for about 6 months now and I still think the PC gui was easier to use and flowed better. I would like to see those improvements and more in the new gui.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I prefer the Mac interface to the Windows, but there are a few elements from the Windows version that could be incorporated into the Mac.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Once you go Mac...well...we all know this one....

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

You mean the other way around. It would be nice if the windows version were similar to the mac version. If your gonna be developing for iOS devices you have to go mac, because its thier native environment.

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited April 2014

The Mac version of creator is 1000x times better than the windows. Design wise and functionality. Going to the windows creator design would be a huge step backwards.

Correct me if I am wrong here. It is my understanding the Windows version was created after the Mac version and it's gui was designed with the short comings of the Mac version in mind.

• rdlew2008rdlew2008 Member, PRO Posts: 85
    edited April 2014

@tenrdrmer said:
    There is nothing that cannot be done with the Mac version that can be done in the PC version. Absolutly nothing!

I have both mac and pc version as well.
    I like the pc version much better. I use pc for my android stuff. and mac for iPhone for ease of testing.

One thing that i like about that pc version is that if there is a actor on the scene it can be copied and pasted on the scene. so you don't have to drag and drop a bunch of the same actors.

also for the mac side i like that when you edit your commands you click on the actor and it opens a large page for your editing where in windows it has the small box under the scene and you have to expand it to have it large. then drag it smaller to go back to the scene or deal with the small window for editing.

@rdlew2008 said:
    One thing that i like about that pc version is that if there is a actor on the scene it can be copied and pasted on the scene. so you don't have to drag and drop a bunch of the same actors.

Actually you can hold option while you click on the instance in the scene and drag off an exact copy right there in your scene.

@colander said:
    Correct me if I am wrong here. It is my understanding the Windows version was created after the Mac version and it's gui was designed with the short comings of the Mac version in mind.

Yes the windows Gui was designed after the mac version but it was also an experiment with some radical changes that people most certainly where not asking for. ultimately windows was supposed to be an On going test bed for the new GUI and then once it was finalized it was supposed to be applied to Mac, but that didn't really pan out in the end.

It will be a major step back and ultimately a bad deal for anyone who uses a laptop for development if the new Cross platform creator is heavy on the current Windows GUI. Like i said before there are definitely some cool things in there like being able to click an actor and have instantly visible size and position values without opening the instance. That is golden. but overall its a poor layout imo.

I am hoping it will move more towards the Windows version and beyond into something really useful with snap to grids, undock all parts of the gui and much more. I want everything :)

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

I've used the mac version recently and man, its just not user friendly. Maybe I am just use to the Windows UI. It just needs to be more stable

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon